Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

I seem to have bad luck with cars. I owned not only a 1999, but a 2000 Mercedes ML320. Worse cars I ever owned. Very unreliable. Then I owned a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser. Very nice, quiet, but OMG the gas mileage!

In January I bought a 2004 Murano. Loved the looks, the sportiness, etc. Wasn't too excited about the interior, but figured I could overlook it.

Now, after two months I am going insane. This is by far the worst car for noises - rattles, creaks, ticks - well, you know. It seems the only time these noises go away, is when I am playing a CD or the radio!

I have had it in to the dealer twice for this. They have added foam or something both times, but the problems persist. Now I have a new one. What appears to be a window rattle on the right side.

Now I feel I have made a big mistake. I hoped this what the last car I would buy for at least 5 years. Now it may be sold before the first oil change!

Is there any hope for all these issue to be solved? Should the dealer give me a free rental car every time I bring the car in for this? (They never replicate the problems, btw).

The rattles are one thing, but what about the ticks, squeeks, and creaks? Maybe there is a silcone grease or something that can be put between the dash seams???

Help me here! How do you guys/gals keep the faith? It is wearing me down! I love the car except for these things. It's a $30K plus car for heaven's sake!

Actually, I feel better after my tirade and seeing I am not alone.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
took mine to the dealer for the creaks in the windows they replaced the window rubbers not a problem now...but try turning a gradual right hand turn about 1/4 turn on the steering wheel at 20mph and see if you hear the rubbing noise ... this is the main concern with mine dealer cANT FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG AND I EVEN HAD THE WHEEL BEARINGS REPLACED TO NO AVAIL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same ticking/rattling noise coming from my doors too. I took it to the dealer and after two weeks they finally got all of the rattles out of the driver's side door. They put in 3 times the amount of foam strips to get it to stop. Once I recieved the Murano back the driver's side door was quite, but then I started to notice the passanger's side door was doing about the same thing. I couldn't take it any more. I traded in the Murano for the Titan. No MOre rattles. Lovin' the Titan! :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think what worries me most is the potential for the service people to create more problems by trying to fix one 'simple' problem.

My past experience with Service departments always seems to be fix one, break two.

I have a slight window 'tic' right now, but I am very apprehensive about having my doors pulled apart.

I'd be interested to see how long these 'break-fixes' work. Also, I'd be interested to see whether or not the 'fix' causes some other type of squeak, rattle, etc. 3-6 months down the road.

Just a born skeptic, I suppose!
I assume that pimple on my ass is just a pimple, until a certified doc tells me it's a brain tumor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used WD40 with the red little hose, and squired it between all the seams on the inside door panel. No more squeeks, rattles or anything else. Has been that way for the last 3 weeks.

·
4,664 Posts
elliotgb you made me LOL!

I tend to agree... I've seen good mechanics, but unfortunately many more lousy ones. Since I know the difference most of the time, it really peeves me when they don't do something right, or trash something else in the process.

I've got the tic in the drivers door again, so I may just pull it myself and work it out, instead of spending the same amount of time, if not more to explain it and get it resolved by the Nissan dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My MO ocassionally emits the same irritating sounds, but when I pull the passenger sunvisor down the sounds stop, been in for service twice but can never duplicate the noises

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
samdkat,

Did you know that there is a TSB for the visor braket? I basically calls our to replace both "c" brackets so it holds the visor more secure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know what Rattan furniture sounds like when you sit on it?

That's my Murano at every turn, bump, etc.

I am intrigued by the WD40 idea. How long does the WD40 smell linger after application?

Man, I can't believe I am actually considering spraying the interior of a car with WD40!

Sure is fun to drive, though. That's the dilemma. So I ordered a SAT kit from Grubbs for my '04. If I can't elimnate the creaks, rattles and ticks, I'll simply drown them out with commercial free tunes!

Mark Linder

·
4,664 Posts
My only concern about WD40, is that it would migrate and stain something, or damage some of the plastic, as it does have a solvent in it.

I wonder about a wax based lubricant, or even graphite, if applied lightly and in hidden places...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of my hobbies is racing RC nitro powered cars. The shock absorbers on these cars use a silicone oil for dampening. I am thinking of trying that in all the seams.

Mark Linder

·
4,664 Posts
That, sounds like a very good idea...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well,

The silicone oil I suggested works - somewhat. Time will tell if the fix "sticks".

One problem though. Evidently some of the oil "wicked" onto the top dash speaker covers. Will alcohol remove this silcone oil?

How does the cover come off?

Mark

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Fellas call me silly but I don't think it is a good idea to randomly spray WD40 in your MO. I fear that it may create more issues down the line.

For the top speaker covers (what were you putting WD40 near the speakers for?) I belive they just pull striaght off. I think they are held in place with prawl clips.

Best of luck my slippery slicked up fellow MO owners.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gonzo,

Thanks for the cover removal tip.

Actually, it wasn't WD40. It's a silcone oil that is colorless, and, more importanty, odorless. It came from the oil I use in shock absorbers for my 1/8th scale 4WD on-road radio controlled gas car. That's another fun subject, though!

It has helped to reduce the "rattan furniture" creaks I have experienced from day one on every turn, bump, and start from a stop.

Have a good weekend!

Mark

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Any technique for the hatch cover? That "shade" is always making noise. I don't want to remove it just Adjust it. I think it it could be opened and felt attached to the exit points it would work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When spraying WD40, use the red straw, and at the point where the straw comes in contact with the car, place a towel arround the tip of the straw. This way if any splashes out, then it will be caught by the towel.

The smell goes away in about 30-60 minutes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
a new day, a new sound

every day i get in my murano, i listen to hear for a new creak, pop, rattle, squeak or all of the above. i remember when i first jumped on this forum and read all the posts about the noises. i thought to myself," wow they must've really fixed these things on the 04." 4000 miles later, i realize it was just a matter of time. i suppose there's nothing to do but grin and bear it. still, it being a 35K+ car you would hope that you wouldn't have to deal with these things, at least not so soon into owning it. *sigh*

it drives great though...its the little things i suppose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts