Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! Have any of you experienced a rattling noise when accelerating from 0 to 30 mph? This is seems to be the story with my Murano. My mechanic checked it out and couldn't find anything loose. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've heard plenty of theories what it could be but I have tried everything and it's still there....even after a CVT swap. To be honest, I've had the noise for 130k miles, since I purchased the car used 5 years ago...still no clue what it could be today. I've done all required maintenance and never found anything. Also, I heard a (what I guess to be an 05' ish) 3.5L Maxima drive by my house in the past and heard the same thing. I believe I know exactly what your talking about and the common answer everyone has here is a loose heat shield or exhaust shield...I checked them all on mine and never had any luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the same issue for the last 2yrs. Dealer said loose heat shield...fixed that but it didn't go away. They told me they couldn't find any problems. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I agree, it is annoying but you just kind of have to get used to it, I guess. I always heard loose heat shields and checked them all, only found one that was loose and still no change after I removed it. Then changed my AC and PS belts, thought it could somehow be a "loose" belt/pulley (just because of its sound). Nope, still nothing changed.

Anyways, it's throttle dependent at the initial press of the pedal but sounds like a loose rotating wheel or something that definitely rotates with speed. Let's just say that its not like anything I've ever heard before and I would say that I'm fairly knowledgable when it comes diagnosing common noises on vehicles. Plus I've only heard it on my car and one other...BOTH being the Nissan 3.5L motor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks for the video but nope, I didn't hear the noise that I experience myself at least. I'll have to capture it on my car and post it up. Its definitely noticeable with the window down and usually more at low speed/rpm... around takeoff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All! Have any of you experienced a rattling noise when accelerating from 0 to 30 mph? This is seems to be the story with my Murano. My mechanic checked it out and couldn't find anything loose. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Hi, did you found any solution, I am also facing exact issue in my Murano SL AWD 2015

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, Yes a similar noise has begun on my 05 Murano V6. Start up from cold is ok, it's when I accelerate that the rattle starts, very similar sound to loose tappetts. At about 40kmh the sound stops however as I continue at 60kph on a level road I can hear the chatter intermittently although it's a much reduced chatter. A writer has suggested low oil level, and my oil is not registering on the dipstick.

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
Driving any car with the oil level so low that it doesn't even register on the dip stick is just asking for a blown engine.

Knowing that the oil is that low, have you at least added oil so that it shows up on the dip stick? If not, what are you waiting for?

Please add oil to the level mark and then drive the car to see if the engine rattle continues.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Paul Day is correct. Chances are that your hydraulic lifters are dry and you're hearing them clatter. Why hadn't you already filled the oil?? That's asking for disaster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paul Day is correct. Chances are that your hydraulic lifters are dry and you're hearing them clatter. Why hadn't you already filled the oil?? That's asking for disaster.
Bought the veh in Oct 19 didnt think it would use that much oil. Next service not due for another 1000km and it's only done 180k if the Odometer is to be believed.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
I counsel checking oil at least every other tank of gas when you (or I) buy a used car. That way you can keep records and establish the pattern of oil usage. Sounds like you need to begin checking at every gas refill and get that pattern established.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I counsel checking oil at least every other tank of gas when you (or I) buy a used car. That way you can keep records and establish the pattern of oil usage. Sounds like you need to begin checking at every gas refill and get that pattern established.
Thanks Pilgrim, I will be monitoring this closely. I usually do check the oil and water but was not expecting this much consumption especially before the next service ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I added 3L of 5w30 and the oil level is just above the Low mark. The chatter has reduced markedly. There is still a little there when I floor accelerator but not nearly as bad as before. One more Litre of oil should see the level at the top mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Driving any car with the oil level so low that it doesn't even register on the dip stick is just asking for a blown engine.

Knowing that the oil is that low, have you at least added oil so that it shows up on the dip stick? If not, what are you waiting for?

Please add oil to the level mark and then drive the car to see if the engine rattle continues.

Have a good day.
Hi Paul Day,
I'm guessing by now you will have read my postings. This surprised me as I didn't expect to have to check the oil before the next service. Lesson learnt, wont make the same mistake again or assume all is well under the bonnet.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
Having run the engine low on oil, you should now change the oil and filter after 1000K. That oil in the engine is now compromised.

Also be sure to use a quality high detergent oil. Check oil level before driving away if you don't do it yourself. Best advice I can give.

Lesson learned.

Have a good day.

Reactions: Pilgrim

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
BTW, this episode is one BIG reason why we run synthetic oil. When lubrication available is minimal, synthetic is persistent on metal parts and gives you a better chance of avoiding metal-to-metal contact.

But absolutely do an oil change, and refill with synthetic. It doesn't matter if it burns oil, remember that oil is cheaper than engine rebuilds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 2007 I am experiencing this exact issue. I have used the same mechanic for about 20 years and at least ten different cars ( I use to have problems avoiding inanimate objects. Thankfully I didn't hurt anyone, but I have kept my mechanic busy ) I purchased the Murano this past July. When he first heard the rattling he immediately knew I was low on oil. I had the oil changed and it is still there. I am going to see my guy tomorrow, with the hopes of fixing it. He is pretty busy, so he needs to hear again. Once I find out anymore info, I will be posting it. Be safe and God Bless.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Hello. I have a 2007 I am experiencing this exact issue. I have used the same mechanic for about 20 years and at least ten different cars ( I use to have problems avoiding inanimate objects. Thankfully I didn't hurt anyone, but I have kept my mechanic busy ) I purchased the Murano this past July. When he first heard the rattling he immediately knew I was low on oil. I had the oil changed and it is still there. I am going to see my guy tomorrow, with the hopes of fixing it. He is pretty busy, so he needs to hear again. Once I find out anymore info, I will be posting it. Be safe and God Bless.
If the noise is coming from the front of the engine where the belts are then it could be the timing chain and/or tensioner. Nissan recently settled a class action lawsuit over this covering a bunch of different models--the Murano was not one of them, though. Definitely provide an update when your mechanic finds out what the problem is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts