Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I turn on my fan, I can hear a rattling sound coming from the dash, where should I look?

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,195 Posts
Hi all,

When I turn on my fan, I can hear a rattling sound coming from the dash, where should I look?
If the rattling is only heard when the blower motor is running then I would check for debris in the blower motor housing--maybe something got past the cabin filter.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
333 Posts
Maybe someone dropped an M&M or something harder down the defrost grate and it's rattling around. Does it make the sound at all fan speeds? Does the car have to be in motion with the fan on in order for the rattling to happen?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@I need coffee
Where is the blower motor housing located?

@Cryogenix1
I only hear it at speed #1 when not in motion, when the fan speed is higher, I don't hear it; maybe because the noise from the fan is masking it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I did have a similar issue with a previous car. I had to pull out the in cabin filter and vacuum the inside. There was a very small dry leaf stuck in there. Tends to happen this time of the year with all the leaves dropping.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano LE AWD
1,195 Posts
I did have a similar issue with a previous car. I had to pull out the in cabin filter and vacuum the inside. There was a very small dry leaf stuck in there. Tends to happen this time of the year with all the leaves dropping.
This. If you have a small crevice tool for your vacuum you can often remove the cabin filter and sneak it up there and suck out whatever is making noise.

Reactions: assad

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
You've probably got a small acorn in the squirrel cage fan. They find their way down around the wiper openings and eventually get sucked down when the fan is on high.

Like most are recommending, remove the cabin air filter and try vacuuming the area in back of the filter.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
333 Posts
If sucking from via the cabin filter doesn't grab whatever may be kicking around in there (and provided you have a wet/dry vac handy) you could try putting the air flow to the dash vents on the lowest fan speed, then close the two side vents and either of the middle vents, then use the blowing side of the wet/dry vac on the remaining opened dash vent to try to blast out any potential debris. Might not be enough air pressure/force to do it. Try to seal around the remaining vent as best as you can when placing the vac tube over that vent. If that doesn't work, drive around up and down a few hills, brake fast or make very hard (but safe) side-to-side movements in both directions to try to shift around whatever might be in there there. If the sound doesn't change, it could indicate a problem with the blower motor or loose hardware instead of debris in the system.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally fixed the issue today.

I had already vacuumed the cabin air filter and changed the air filter, but that did not fixed it.
The noise was so irritating, I had to do something.

In the video you can clearly hear the rattling when the fan speed is lowered.

So I removed the blower motor hoping to find something in there, but did not see any debris that could be making that noise.

I spinned it outside of the housing and did not hear the noise, so I put it back in.

As I was about to put back everything together, I noticed a small white cylinder on top of the glove compartment, it is the spring mechanism for opening the glove box. I noticed only one side is screwed in, the other side has a hole that just sits on a pin, and I could clearly shake it and hear some rattling noise. So I took out my soldering iron and melted the plastic on top so it could no longer move.

I could not tell the root cause, but taking out the blower motor, reseating it, and securing that white cylinder fixed the issue.

I thought maybe my blower motor went bad, but that does not seem to be the case.

Reactions: KBrian and PaulDay

·
Super Moderator
8,648 Posts
Very nice observation!! Well done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts