Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 MO with 154000 miles on it and i keep hearing a rattling noise when i accelerate coming from the front. What could that be?

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
The flip answer is "something loose."

On a practical basis, how does it behave? Give us more info, please.

Is is rhythmic, increasing in frequency as the tires rotate faster?
Is it speed-related, appearing at a certain speed? Getting faster/louder at speed?
Is it worse going over bumps? Is it only audible going over bumps?

And of course - have you gotten under the car (perhaps on ramps, which require no garage or other equipment) and laid hands on everything you can reach underneath, moving or shaking everything to look for loose or movable parts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It makes the rattle from a stop and up hills and once at speed i dont heat it

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
It makes the rattle from a stop and up hills and once at speed i dont heat it
It's likely an exhaust heat shield that's loose (...probably because it's rusting off). Get underneath the car and start wiggling them.

·
Super Moderator
8,481 Posts
Yes, until you have gotten under the car and actually looked for the problem, let's not speculate further.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heat shield is tight and no loose parts but its still making a rattling sound.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
790 Posts
The heat shield is tight and no loose parts,
There's more than one heat shield. BTW, you never fully described the rattling noise. Pilgrim asked you several questions to get more information and you responded with a terse statement. Is it a metallic sound (metal on metal) or does it sound more like plastic? If it's not a metallic sound then it's not a heat shield. If it is metallic, then keep in mind that there are several heat shields located on the exhaust and catalytic converters and one thing that may help you locate a loose heat shield is to tap along the exhaust lightly with a rubber mallet. This would also identify debris inside the exhaust that may be making the noise.

Otherwise, if you don't find that a heat shield is the problem then see if you can recreate the noise while the car is parked (e.g. rev the engine) and try to locate the source of the noise that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts