Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the RDS system was cute. Becuase I live in metro NYC a lot of the big stations were broadcasting RDS data for some time. But just today I noticed a big change in the stream. Instead of broadcasting just the call letters "WABC" or a signature like "LITE FM" they now began broadcasting song titles, and artists with each respective song playing. I think this is awesome! So SAT like. I hate when I hear a song I love on the radio and then cant figure out the artist or title. Has this been like this all the time?? I am sure it wasn't doing this when I bought the Murano.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hmmm the RDS stations where I am used to display the station name on my Murano, but not anymore! I wonder why. Is there a setting to turn on or off RDS? I looked in the owners manual and I assume RDS is automatic whenever a broadcast with RDS is received.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RDS is an interesting feature, yet not completely absorbed into the radio market...yet.
I live in the Denver market and only 1 station gives true RDS "reports". Unfortunately, today it was broadcasting a Jay-Z title for about 4 songs straight and also during commercials. Another station just keeps scrolling it's call letters, but no song info. I'm almost tempted to call these stations and tell them to do it right, or not at all.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am inclined to think that stations that have songs that play on a constant rotation (like top 100 radio) are going to be the ones that will have RDS up and running correctly first. In these type of stations all the songs are stored in MP3 type formats on computers and the DJ's are basically playing songs directly from touch screens. The computers and touch screens give a data feed to a RDS encoder and track royalties as well. Smaller stations that actually still use cd's and vinyl will have to actually perform additional steps to get the data out. I have no firm data on this, just logical conclusions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone know how to burn a CD that will show the RDS information when played? I've tried my normal procedures for burning a CD, but no luck.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Most CD programs will have a feature where you can add track titles and album titles. Look in the options tab or somewhere along the process of burning a CD and there might be a tab to input this stuff. It's hard to say without knowing which program it is. What are you using?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've tried the new Itunes by Quicktime as well as EZ CD Creator 5 Platinum. I've entered Audio Titles and Artist names, but...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Uh guys - RDS stands for Radio Data System.

This has nothing to do with the CD player.

Now some players WILL show encoded data, but I have never seen anywhere that Nissan said that these players will.

Homer

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Bose system in the Murano does, indeed, show track and artist information for CDs that provide that information. As someone said previously, you can include the track and artist information when you burn a CD through the burning program that you use. I've found very few commercial CDs that include this information.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
jpburk said:
The Bose system in the Murano does, indeed, show track and artist information for CDs that provide that information. As someone said previously, you can include the track and artist information when you burn a CD through the burning program that you use. I've found very few commercial CDs that include this information.
I have the Non Bose system in my MO. You can set the unit up to show the CD information. Only newer CD's have the data. When one of my discs are in, the display reads "no disc data". When one of my Kids' CD's are plugged in, it can read either the track title or the album, or the disc title. I guess the manufacturers are including it on new discs.

As far as RDS data goes, I don't know if my non-Bose radio will display it or not. Anybody know?:confused:

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've noticed some channels experiment with RDS and then turn it off, so one day they'll start up showing their call letters.. or call letters and song titles.. and it'll go like that for a week before it stops. Rest assured, it is likely the station and not your MO if RDS disappears.

And from what I've heard, all ClearChannel stations are going to full RDS (song title, artist). One Philly station I listen to started a few weeks back, and another just came onboard last week. This is probably also happening in NYC and other big cities.

·
Registered
255 Posts
In order to burn a CD with "CD Text" info, both the CD burner, and the burning software, must support "CD Text". I have burned CD's that have the text information and when I am playing one of these CDs if I press the "Audio" button it will display the information for the CD and the song. The only CD that I have purchased that supports "CD Text" is one from Audioslave.

I do not believe that ITunes supports "CD Text" as the one CD I have burned with it did not get the text info added to it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Finally got to see the RDS really working -- 97.1 WASH FM in DC had the artist and song names scrolling across the screen tonight. This is the first time I have seen a station sending more than just the station name. I like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RDS Info more than just song title and artist

Just to add to this discussion, I was in Atlanta the other day and 2 of the stations that sent RDS included news! The news included the current temperature, sports scores, one line headlines, etc. When RDS hits the radio scene fully, it is going to be great!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Will my Mo do all this? I rarely turn on the radio. I am always listening to Satellite, and haven't been able to get any of my CD's to show text throught the display settings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
MVTCFP said:

I have the Non Bose system in my MO. You can set the unit up to show the CD information. Only newer CD's have the data. When one of my discs are in, the display reads "no disc data". When one of my Kids' CD's are plugged in, it can read either the track title or the album, or the disc title. I guess the manufacturers are including it on new discs.

As far as RDS data goes, I don't know if my non-Bose radio will display it or not. Anybody know?:confused:
How did you get this work on your non-Bose MO? I love this feature and I miss it so I'm wondering how you got it to work on your non-Bose system.

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts