Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through the forum and can find one reference to this with a TSB assigned for 2WD models where they shave the rear bump stops...

Anyone know if this holds true for the 4wd models?

I put one person in the back seat amd when we hit a bump it feels like the rear end bottoms out..

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've put 3 other people in the car with me (Big people - probably average 200 Lbs) and never bottomed out.
Of course I drive even more sensibly when I have people in the car.
And our roads here in Florida are far superior to most states.

But I do remember that TSB.
I think this is it.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2003/NTB03-026.htm

I'm not sure that the car bottoms out, but may just make some noise. Those are not the bump stops that they are cutting off here.

In any event, you should be able to complain about the noise and see if they would do the TSB.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I find the Murano rides smoother with other people in the car. This tends to be true for most cars, since in order to provoke a harsh bump more mass has to be pushed up and down. The harshest ride is generally from the drivers seat since you feel everything through the pedals and steering wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is definately not just a noise but a very abrupt stoppage of the rear suspension during a harsh bump.

Guess I'll just have to take it in and see what they say..

Thanks...

·
Registered
416 Posts
'04 SL AWD...rear suspension bottoms out when carrying moderate load in rear (300 lbs or so) traveling at 70 kph on rough asphalt...seems to occur on the "upside" of a dip in pavement rather than over a bump...slowing down to 60 kph..doesn't bottom out...it handles well and stays under control on rough pavement...

·
Registered
842 Posts
In my last car I had an issue with bottoming out especially with 6 people and all their gear ( 92 Grand Caravan) what I ended up doing was installing another leaf spring on each side on the rear axle.

This solved my issue, do not know if I would recommend this on an Mo, but it could be a solution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My SL bottoms out when i have 3-4 people in the car and our Mt bikes on the trailer hitch rack. I think it has to do with the softer springs and shorter travel. when I am alone or have only 1 passanger there is no issue. I want to upgrade the springs and shock but I am waiting for KYB or someone else to come out with the premium adjustable MO aftermarket shocks and springs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Our Muronos are challenged with short suspension travel. If you load it a bit, there is very little upward travel left (hince easy bottoming). If you install a firmer spring you are going to have even a firmer ride. It won't bottom as much, but "most of the time", when there is no load, the ride will be very unappealing.

I have a solution that I have used in a couple of my SUVs in the past. I replaced the rear springs with air bags and a auto-levelling sensor/pump. It enables the suspension to stay in the "sweet spot" regardless of load, and keeps the ride smooth by not having stiffer springs. In fact. I use air accumulators that reduces the air spring compression rate (makes it softer). Depending on how motivated you are, you can put a valve between the air spring and accumulator to change the firmness of the spring on demand. No bottoming under load, and smoother, more balance ride always... Weeeeeee

I have purchased all the hardware to install this in my Murano, but haven't had a chance to get it installed. I live in AZ and it is too hot in the garage to do it right now... Maybe in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
541 Posts
yeah I wanted to put an air ride suspension on my MO but dont really know where to find someone who can do this.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Zowie!

I can't believe that you would even attempt this!

And you say that you have doen it before?

It looks to me like you are actually fabricating an entirely new rear suspension. Right?

There are no "kits' for a Murano, right?

I sure admire your sense of adventure.

Homer

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your funny.

It is not that bad. You just need to match the dimensions and spring seats and of the coils. Everything else is un-changed.. I did it in the rear of mt ML320 and my Cherokee... It worked great.

You need to be fairly mechanical or have someone that is to be successful.

The company I got the bags from (http://www.truckn-store.com/default.asp?redir=) will make a "kit" at no extra charge if there is not one in exsistance yet. That is how I did the Mercedes. I used air cylenders instead of bags for it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
mattsmurano said:
Our Muronos are challenged with short suspension travel. If you load it a bit, there is very little upward travel left (hince easy bottoming). If you install a firmer spring you are going to have even a firmer ride. It won't bottom as much, but "most of the time", when there is no load, the ride will be very unappealing.

I have a solution that I have used in a couple of my SUVs in the past. I replaced the rear springs with air bags and a auto-levelling sensor/pump. It enables the suspension to stay in the "sweet spot" regardless of load, and keeps the ride smooth by not having stiffer springs. In fact. I use air accumulators that reduces the air spring compression rate (makes it softer). Depending on how motivated you are, you can put a valve between the air spring and accumulator to change the firmness of the spring on demand. No bottoming under load, and smoother, more balance ride always... Weeeeeee

I have purchased all the hardware to install this in my Murano, but haven't had a chance to get it installed. I live in AZ and it is too hot in the garage to do it right now... Maybe in a couple weeks...
Hi Matt

Did you ever get around to doing this

1 - 13 of 13 Posts