Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this just me or does anybody else have trouble reading the oil level. It usually takes several attempts with the oil bleeding down the length of the stick. It is easier on a cold engine but I have never had so much trouble reading one. Minor gripe though- after 16 months this vehicle is otherwise flawless.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
vfr-

You are not alone. I, too, have difficulty reading the stick, especially just after an oil change. When it first happened I did a search and discovered it was a common problem.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had a hard time at first... but now I'm use to it. I just take the reading off the reflection of oil on the stick.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I think the biggest problem is the guide hole thing-a-majig.
Seems like when I pull the stick, I always manage to scrape off the oil on the guide ring.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I am surprised that in this age of electronic systems monitoring, Nissan (and the other major auto makers) does not incorporate an oil level sensor into the oil pan to detect the level prior to start-up.

They figured out a way to remotely monitor air pressure in the tires, so why not the oil level in the pan? I would pay extra for that feature, especially in the absence of a standard oil pressure gauge.

Just my two cents...

-njjoe

·
5,244 Posts
joe

2c would not cover it......you would need topay $50....;)

And I would be happy to!

It is not goint to happen soon..........market does not see it as a priority........DVD's are more important and make more money! We need to get by the old fasion way.......at leas for a while...........:(

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would never want a car not to have a dipstick. I want to be able to look at the oil, smell it, feel it. New BMW M5 has no dipstick ... just an idiot light. When it goes off is the oil in good condition? Low a quart? Low 1/2 qt? 2 qts? ETC, etc. This engine will rev to over 8000 rpm and you can't look at the oil. The engine costs over $25 grand. I don't understand it....

·
Registered
842 Posts
TopazM3 said:
I would never want a car not to have a dipstick. I want to be able to look at the oil, smell it, feel it. New BMW M5 has no dipstick ... just an idiot light. When it goes off is the oil in good condition? Low a quart? Low 1/2 qt? 2 qts? ETC, etc. This engine will rev to over 8000 rpm and you can't look at the oil. The engine costs over $25 grand. I don't understand it....
I agree, electronic level indicators do fail and usually as the worst possible time. No one has been able to improve the mark one eyeball yet for 100% accuracy. I know at the plant in which I work when level indicators fail it is very costly.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I like the idea of a manual back-up (oil dip-stick) but would also like to see an electronic level guage. It is both feasible and practical. The technology has been available for years.

-njjoe

·
Registered
438 Posts
Porsche uses an electronic guage too.

The one on the Murano is the worst dipstick I have ever had the misfortune to use. When I first looked at it, my impression was that this engine was designed primarily with an inline/RWD layout in mind and finding a convenient place for the dipstick was an afterthought.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Oh stop your sqauking about the dipstick. IMHO it works and its simple. I wouldn't want Nissan to spend even a nano second redesigning an oil dipstick.

If you can't use/read it then I think you need someone else checking your oil. I'll shutup now.
:soapbox:

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonzo said:
Oh stop your sqauking about the dipstick.

Gonzo, My point is that this is the most difficult stick I have ever read and because of that I would not dare trust a non Murano lover to evaluate the oil level.:p

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yea I know what you mean... I don't trust any Non- MO person with my MO... just ask my wife she tell ya. :bonk:

VFR to you fly?

·
Registered
276 Posts
When I was introduced to the Charonnay Lady today, I asked to see the oil dipstick.

You are all so very right. When the oil is new and clean there is absolutely no way to tell just how much oil is in the case.

My suggestion would be to let the oil get old and dirty so it will be easier to see. That might well be a better idea than sand.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I always found it easy to read it after letting the MO alone for a few hours and wiping the stick thoroughly before.

Turning the stick always expose a side where you see a clear mark.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My suggestion would be to let the oil get old and dirty so it will be easier to see
A little OT, but "old and dirty" is a very inaccurate description. Discolored oil is NOT necessarily dirty!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Agreed. MO dipstick is hard to read.

But the absolutely worst dipstick is on my 2004 350Z. It takes a contortionist to insert and remove it. The guide (I think they made of aluminum foil) bends easily then it's impossible to insert the stick at all. Next to impossible is getting a tool or bare hand down there to straighten the dang thing.

I've even taken it to the dealer just to have them read the oil level.

Yeah, MO is hard to read but at least you can get it in and out without breaking things.

My 2000 Porsche Boxster had the dash gage that showd oil level as you turned the ignition on and before starting. You had to give it about 10-15 seconds to get a good reading. Also had a back-up dipstick - in the trunk, of course.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Penderwheels-

I hate the Boxster! If I had a Porsche in the garage I would want to lift the hood/trunk and be able to stare at and drool all over the engine. I can't do that with the Boxster. I hate it.

Sorry for the hijack.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I can't read it well either but I find if I look for the "reflection of the oil" on the stick I can read it without problem.... maybe you guys just needs to eye glass readers. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts