Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I get a 2005 Murano SL AWD, what can I honestly expect for MPG? I figure nowhere near the posted 20/25 (gosh, wouldn't that be nice?).

I'm guessing maybe 16/19?

I have a bit of a lead foot, and do mostly city driving, so I figure to take my lumps in fuel economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do a lot of city driving as well and the mpg's take a drop down to about 14 - 15. Highway mpg's are about 20 - 22...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have about 1100 miles on my car and see that I am getting 17.1...Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! I can only hope that jumps up when the engine is fully broken into!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If it's real city driving and you shower down on it a lot, you will be lucky to get 16.
You could be as low as 12 until it's broken in and then you shouldn't be too surprised if you get 14.

Driving in Suburbia, I got about 16 for the first 10,000 miles or so. I RARELY gave it much gas. I preferrred to do the "CVT Acceleration". This is where you put the RPMS at 2K and let the car catch up to the RPMS.

Even when I was on the HWY (I drive pretty fast - 70/75) I only got 22 or so.

But then I got up around 12,000 miles and noticed that Suburbia had jumped to 18.2 or 18.4 and the HWY was 23.4 at 75 MPH on a recent trip to Myrtle Beach and back (1500 miles).

I personally am very pleased with the MPG.
But then, I was "satisfied' with the original MPG of 16 suburbs/22 Hwy.
After all this is a powerful car that weighs 4000 pounds and it has some design character. It was not shaped like a worn bar of soap in a wind tunnel.
So at 18 and 23 I am VERY satisfied.

PS I run ONLY High Test.

Homer

·
Registered
12 Posts
05 S Murano here, purchased Feb. 05. I went to Vegas and got 21 MPG on way up (driving pretty fast 90 or so most the way) On the way back I got 25 MPG (driving 80 or so most the way) In the city I was getting 12 MPG when new and now I have about 1500 miles on it and MPG to work and back in town seems to be about 14. Its getting better in city. Hopefully it gets up to around 16 in town once in breaks in a little more. I am really pleased with highway mileage. Easily get over 22-23 when I am on freeway. Usually 24 or 25. I am in southern california, close to coast, if that matters.

·
5,268 Posts
I have 33K now and have bneen getting consistently results similar to Homer's and tuxxer.

As Homer mentioned, it is a quite large car with powerfull engine. I woul dnot expect getting 20 in real city driving. Suburbia - maybee. Though closer to 18.

·
Registered
111 Posts
18MPG, light city, mostly highway driving. I've got around 1100 on my new SL AWD too. I expect the engine is in "breakin" mode, and this will change as the miles progress.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have almost 4,000 miles on my '04. I get over 400 miles per tank; usually between 425 to 475.

I have averaged as high as 25 MPG for strict highway driving.

As mentioned before, the secret is to keep the RPM below 2K as much as possible.

Even with city driving, I am still seeing more than 20 MPG.

Before I learned to keep it under 2k RPM, I saw 17 to 18 MPG; as well as seeing around 17 MPG on every one that I test drove before buying.

I live in a city that has moderate traffic, but even in city driving, doing errands, ect - I still see over 21 MPG.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I average about 15-16mpg city, 20-21 highway. Even if you reset your MPG meter and get an "instaneous" (well sort of) reading, remember it took more gas to get you up to that speed, as well as the gas you used to get the engine to operating temperature (in open loop mode), so your overall MPG will never really match what your car gets on the nonstop straightaways.

Due to the different driving habits of the owners here, I'm sure the range will vary. The Murano gets awful fuel economy on cold starts, and those short 2 mile trips I sometimes take, I would be not surprised if I don't even break into the double digits. Grrrrr to open loop.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I think there are always two types who answer these MPG threads.

1- the guys who want to play "Mine is bigger than yours".
Nothing wrong with that.
And some people play it almost like a game, squeezing the most they can out of a gallon of gas. Even to the point of driving slower than the surrounding traffic.

2- Guys like me that comment on the MPG, but in all reality don't give a rat's patootie what this tank does. Or the next tank either.
It's all just an "interesting" thing to us.

It seems entirely possible that many would fall between what these two types claim wouldn't you think?

Unless there is something VERY strange going on, I believe that you can always throw out the low and high figures.

There is no reason to believe that people can drive a Murano at 90 MPH and get good gas mileage.
The Murano has a high CD figure and will get progressivly worse mileage as you drive faster.

Likewise there is no reason to believe that the Murabo is a pure gas hog that would make a Ford Explorer blush. THe engine is quite fuel effecient considering it's power.

BTW, NO claim based on the "computer" has ANY credibility with me.
I do it the old fashioned way. I measure from fillup to fillup, miles divided by gals.
I want to know what the actual mileage is, and do not care to try and figure out whether the respondent is talking about "Instantaneous" or long term nor having to wonder what are the variables betwen the computers.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Homer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Same here Home the old fasion way. I'm averaging 19.5 with mixed driving... usually keeping RPMs <2000 but doing 70-75 MPH when on highway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I'm in line with Homer's post above. I just like keeping track of the mileage statistics for my cars. Also helps to note potential problems, if your mileage changes all of a sudden and you can't account for that change.

I've been keeping track of the miles driven, gallons used to fill, and the "computer displayed MPG" at each fillup, resetting everything each time.

My Mo now has 1500 miles on it, thanks to a 700 mile trip this weekend. Filled up in Seattle, traveled to Spokane, then to Pullman, then filled up. 369.0 miles, it drank 15.389 gallons. 369/15.389 = 23.98 MPG. Comptuer readout was 20.7.

Driving around in Pullman a bit, then driving directly back to Seattle, 336.6 miles, drank 16.916 gallons. 336.6/16.916 = 19.90 MPG. Computer readout said 21.2.

On the way back we were past the break-in period, so I had some fun playing with the RPMs, which is why the mileage was lower. (which was very fun, by the way! My wife freaked out because she is used to flooring it to pass someone, and doing so put her over 100mph when she didn't even realize it)

Certainly made me realize that the computer calculated one is a little off. I won't be watching that too closely, but I'll probably keep recording it just for grins.

J

·
0 Posts
hfelknor said:

BTW, NO claim based on the "computer" has ANY credibility with me.
I do it the old fashioned way. I measure from fillup to fillup, miles divided by gals.
I want to know what the actual mileage is, and do not care to try and figure out whether the respondent is talking about "Instantaneous" or long term nor having to wonder what are the variables betwen the computers.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Homer
I don't see why you'd say that... if you've ever compared the computer to your actual calculations, it is typically within a half of a mile per gallon (which I'd say is close enough...). That is assuming you reset the Avg MPG each fill up so it would be giving you the average over the same period you measured by hand.

Not that there is anything wrong with the old fasioned way (I do it on every single tank, as well...)

-Cory

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I too calculate using both the manual way, and looking at the convenient MPG meter, which I reset after every fillup. I find the MPG reading on the Murano is usually accurate to within 1mpg, good enough for me. I also keep a little notebook in the glove compartment which tracks all my fuel costs, mileage, fuel economy, and vehicle maintenance. People think I'm obsessive when I crack out the mileage book everytime I fillup, and its because they are right!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I keep logs too

Eric,

I do the same thing with the log books. With 3 old cars and the Mo I loose track of when oil needs changed, the tranny fluid was changed.. tires rotated.

I got into the habit when I was driving a car for business and needed it for tax reasons.

BTW - our Mo with the wife driving suburban / highway is averaging around 21 on premium.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
iF you guys will look, you will see a 3 MPG error on Corin's computer for one sequence.

Either you guys have the one in a hundred or we do.
But mine apparently can be "fooled" every now and then. I've seen mine off by 1.5 MPG several times.
If you have been around here, we have gone thru this before.
There are always people who claim their Computer is accurate to 2 decimal place or somesuch and there are others who swear that it's sometimes off by 2 or even 3 MPG.

I don't care which is correct.
I really don't.
The methodology has no credibility with me because I have seen big differences. End of discussion.

I DO wonder if the computer works with a strain gauge? Anybody know?

BTW, if others want to trust their averages (Or anything else for that matter) to the computer, that's OK by me.
I do the MPG for my own personal knowledge and don't give a rats patootie what others do.

I did use to do the log book thing.
Quit that after some 35 years and just do a calc at each fillup. Don't even bother to write it down now.

Homer

·
Registered
844 Posts
It is nice to here that there are alot of people like me that keep logs on their vehicles for maintenance and fuel ecnomy. I also like the computer screens to help remiond me when to rotate the tires and change my oil.

I also log my fuel ecnomy like a hawk, this comes from being an engineer who is responsible for energy management at a sour natural gas plant where you are trying to control your energy costs. I have often found that the fuel calcs on the computer are pretty close but I still believe in manual calcs to confirm. What I have found is the the fuel ecnomy varies asthe speed in which you drive, the faster you go the more fuel you burn and the faster your money leaves your jeans, conversely the slower you go the less fuel you burn and you have money in your jeans to spend on other things. If you keep your Mo below 2000 RPMs ( a measurement system that both Canada and the USA can both use) your fuel ecnomy could be alright. I drive my MO on the hwy where my RPM is at 1650, that should give you a good indication on what IO get for fuel economy

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I guess the other consideration that could throw off calculations is how accurate the pumps themselves are at the station. No idea if they're calibrated that often, if they need to be, or if there's a way that the station can cheat the system a little. But that could also throw off your manual calculations. That's why I always try to fill up at the same station. Consistency is the key! ;)

That could be why my calculations were so different in my post above. The trip TO Pullman was calculated based on the Chevron station in Pullman (yeah, there's only one) and my trip back was calculated based on my "normal" station here on the west side of the state.

I'll also just point out that these numbers (especially going to Pullman) were pretty high because I was really taking it easy on the vehicle due to the break-in period. Now that it's broken in, this next tank is going to get MUCH worse MPG. I'm having a lot of fun, though! :roadtrip:

J

·
0 Posts
hfelknor said:
Either you guys have the one in a hundred or we do.
But mine apparently can be "fooled" every now and then. I've seen mine off by 1.5 MPG several times.
If you have been around here, we have gone thru this before.
There are always people who claim their Computer is accurate to 2 decimal place or somesuch and there are others who swear that it's sometimes off by 2 or even 3 MPG.

I don't care which is correct.
I really don't.
The methodology has no credibility with me because I have seen big differences. End of discussion.

Homer
Just remember that your calculations that you do by hand are not 'credible' either (like the computer isn't 'credible')... Unless of course if you're using GPS for your speedometer and, thus odometer...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts