Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just got tires rotated and they advised rear pads needed replacement asap, but wanted $185 to do it. After searching the internet, I'm trying to decide between Akebono act905 and Centric posi-quiet 105.09052 pads. Akebono is possibly OEM provider but more expensive than centric. Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would recommend getting a second opinion on the brakes. I traded in my '11 Murano a couple of months ago with over 120,000 miles and it was still on the original brakes. And yes, they were checked. I did the brakes on my old '09 Maxima at 100,000 miles but only because I had already purchased the pads. The old ones were still serviceable when I took them off.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One other thing, if you decide to do it, changing pads is one of the easier things an owner can do. There are multiple how-to's on the Murano and Maxima forums on the procedure. Also YouTube is overrun with videos on the subject. Pads are cheap, get your hands dirty!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would recommend getting a second opinion on the brakes. I traded in my '11 Murano a couple of months ago with over 120,000 miles and it was still on the original brakes. And yes, they were checked. I did the brakes on my old '09 Maxima at 100,000 miles but only because I had already purchased the pads. The old ones were still serviceable when I took them off.
2nd this. I like the akebono's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I wench on my jeep and motorcycle, so doing the work is no big deal. I was just seeing if there was a clear favorite among the replacement pads. I ended up going with Bosch BC905 due to overall favorable reviews and price ($16). If they end up being noisy, too dusty, or noticeably lacking in performance, I'll spring for the higher price options. The job looks fairly simply.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wife just got tires rotated and they advised rear pads needed replacement asap, but wanted $185 to do it. After searching the internet, I'm trying to decide between Akebono act905 and Centric posi-quiet 105.09052 pads. Akebono is possibly OEM provider but more expensive than centric. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Recently replaced frond and back on our 2015, with 47K miles. Rears were bad, fronts 50%.

Here is how you do it step by step with pictures and comments.

Excellent resource for DIY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
433 Posts
Speaking of rear brakes, I'm gonna do mine tomorrow.

I dont like lifting the car on pinch welds because I've heard horror stories of them folding and jack going through the bottom.

Has anyone lifted up by the transfer case? Or is there a better spot?

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are reinforced areas in the pinch weld (between the small notches in the pinch weld) that work just fine when using the car's jack or jack stands. I have supported my 2003 many times with jack stands in that area with no issues. I use Harbor Freight jack stands and protective pads that straddle the pinch weld so that it doesn't get crushed (links below.)

However, if you place your car's jack or jack stands outside of those reinforced notch areas you may run into the problem you noted.

If you want to use floor jack to lift in the notched areas, it should also have a special cup that won't crush the pinch weld.

There are details in this thread that will show the other two jack points in the front and rear that can be used with a floor jack.

HF jack stands: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-61197.html

HG jack stand protective pads: https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber-pads-for-jack-stand-2-pc-63373.html

·
Registered
433 Posts
There are reinforced areas in the pinch weld (between the small notches in the pinch weld) that work just fine when using the service jack or jack stands. I have supported my 2003 many times with jack stands in that area with no issues. I use Harbor Freight jack stands and protective pads that straddle the pinch weld so that it doesn't get crushed.

However, if you place your jack or jack stands outside of those reinforced notch areas you may run into the problem you noted.

If you want to use garage jack to lift in the notched areas, it should also have a special cup that won't crush the pinch weld.

There are details in this thread that will show the other two jack points in the front and rear that can be used with a garage jack.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts