Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a problem with my rear brakes. It seemed that I had a "crunching" noise from my right rear wheel when I applied the brakes. I looked at it and noticed the rotor was all chewed up and gouged.

I took it to the dealer and he told me the following: the low-wear sensors for the pads are only on one side of the car and it was just unfortunate that the pad that wore out was on the other side - the noise was metal on metal and I have to pay for a new rotor.

This sounds odd and I feel that this should be a warranty issue (35,000 miles).

Does anyone have a similar experience? Do I have a leg to stand on in fighting this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If that story is true........"low-wear sensors for the pads are only on one side of the car".....I will officially call the Murano a POS, and will take mine down and trade it in for an Upgrade.
Maybe a Kia.

C'mon, That's the lamest story I ever heard.
Take it to another dealer.

Homer

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i'm seriously debating on trading the mo in for either the new santa fe or a lexus rx 350

·
Registered
117 Posts
nissanlove said:
i'm seriously debating on trading the mo in for either the new santa fe or a lexus rx 350
is it just me... or are the Sante Fe, and the Lexus rx 350 in like totally different classes... and price ranges...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rear Brakes

I think I read in the owners manual at one time or another that the MO did not have wear sensors. I think it also said that when the pads get low that they should make an audible "squealing" noise. My other question is why would only one side wear out? Wouldn't that indicate a problem with the caliper sticking?
FJ

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
hfelknor said:
If that story is true........"low-wear sensors for the pads are only on one side of the car".....I will officially call the Murano a POS, and will take mine down and trade it in for an Upgrade.
Maybe a Kia.

C'mon, That's the lamest story I ever heard.
Take it to another dealer.

Homer
Enjoy your KIA because the story might be true. I have my old brake pads in a box at home and I do not recall a wear sensor on all four wheels. I'll doublecheck when I get home tonight though.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Rear Brakes

sayfj said:
I think I read in the owners manual at one time or another that the MO did not have wear sensors. I think it also said that when the pads get low that they should make an audible "squealing" noise. My other question is why would only one side wear out? Wouldn't that indicate a problem with the caliper sticking?
FJ
Yeah it sounds like a sticking caliper. If you have VDC, you might want to doublecheck that its not engaging that brake too often (although you'd have to be a maniac driver to have it happen).

I'll see if I can verify the story about which sides have the wear sensors when I get home tonight (I changed my brake pads before they were completely worn out and still have the old ones in a box somewhere). The pad with the indicator is almost always the inner one, since you can see the thickness of the outer pad from the outside through the wheel spokes.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Nfilippelli said:

is it just me... or are the Sante Fe, and the Lexus rx 350 in like totally different classes... and price ranges...

haha they are but it depends if we want to save a few bucks. lately it seems that the cheeper cars are working better for us. but lexus' undeniable reliability is a strong selling point also.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I know where you are coming from.
It looks like I have gone through ANOTHER CD player.
Counting the original, I'm on #3 now and when I select Rndm Discs, it starts each and every song within about 30 seconds of the end. One of the other CDs did that too. They don't know how to fix it (Pretty typical of Nissan, IMO).
And now, some are saying that Nissan only put brake wear indicators on a couple of wheels???? They saved a couple of bucks on a 30K vehicle and now want to blame the customer?

So, like you, I'm thinking about HIGH and low.

I'm considering the X5 and the Rav4.:D

I'm going down and look at the X5 this weekend I think. I expect to be shocked at the sticker.... :eek:

Homer

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
maybe i'll hold out for the cx9 when it comes out. the new lincoln MKX looks pretty enticing also. apparently it has the best quality yet, but i'm still weary comming back to ford after having 4 engine replacements on a ford windstar because of head gasket breakage.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Anybody that is thinking of replacing a Murano owes it to Mazda to check out the CX7. But Gripper may be right......going from an ultra smooth Murano to a 4cyl (turbo) may not work.
Only 4 engines and you are biased? :D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
:4:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Ok I just checked. All four front pads have wear indicators. Only the right rear inner pad has an indicator. So the story checks out - only one brake wear indicator on the rear.

pizzaman6, I'm not sure what side the wear indicator was installed on your car, but if it was right wear like mine, there should have been brake noise before you went metal to metal on the rotors.

The Porterfield pads I installed have no wear indicators, but I monitor my brakes frequently so I am not worried.

Homer good luck with the new vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to thank you all for your opinions on what happened to my brakes.

It turns out the service guy I first talked to doesn't quite know how to express an idea - "only on one side" didn't refer the car, it referred to the rotor.

The real story is this - each wheel has two pads, one inside the rotor and one outside - only the inside one has a wear-indicator because you can actually see the outside one - my outside one wore down abnormally due to a "rust deposit" on a shim while the inside one didn't.

And because I didn't catch this one upon a visual inspection, it cost me $500 for new pads and a new rotor. I will look into my mags more often.

Despite it's problems, MO is still the best vehicle I've ever owned. No Kia or Lexus for me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"It turns out the service guy I first talked to doesn't quite know how to express an idea - "only on one side" didn't refer the car, it referred to the rotor."

Well, heck we should have figured that out. They're all that way. Eric touched on it.

Guess we all better take a peek more often (I check at every oil change, but that may not be often enuf)

Homer

The murano is a good car, most of the time.
I'm just out of sorts because it looks like I will be playing my fourth CD player.........That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i hear ya homer... all these small repeating problems start adding up.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i'm not a fan of nissan the company but rather murano the car.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I had thought inner pad had the wear indicator because 99% of the time the inner side wears out first, nothing to do with being able to see the pad itself.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pizzaman6-

This is a good example of why it is so important to rotate your tires on a regular (~7,500 miles) basis. Had you done so, either you or the mechanic would have noticed the rear pads were approaching the end of their life during the 30,000 mile rotation.

-njjoe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts