Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever we pull out of the garage, backup and apply the brakes, a very loud, high pitched, screeching is heard. It actually wakes the neighbors up!! We have taken the vehicle in several times and the dealer says there is nothing he can do about it....that this is a problem being experienced by other Nissan vehicles; something about porcelain??? Anybody heard of this?? Nothing to be done to prevent??

·
5,244 Posts
The dealer is feeding you BS. There should not be any noise when applying brakes. However, in the past some board members did report similar cases. All were taken care off by dealers.

Do search on this board and you will fine more info.

The bottom lines is dealer needs to fix it. It is not normal.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
grt109-

I doubt he means porcelain, unless of course you have a toilet hitched on to the back of your MO. I am sure he means ceramic. The MO's brake pads, both front and rear, are of a ceramic composition. They yield better stopping power, are more fade resistant and produce less dust than "standard" brake pads.

You wrote: "the dealer says there is nothing he can do about it....that this is a problem being experienced by other Nissan vehicles." :confused:
Let's see if I understand him correctly. Since other Nissan vehicles are having this same problem, it is OK for you to have it, and there is no need for him to investigate further in an attempt to fix it. Using his rational, there would never be a recall or TSB issued, because the more prevalent a problem was, the more acceptable it would be. :ucrazy:

Sometimes brake noise can be corrected by applying a special brake grease on the back of the brake pads (never on the face of the pads).

-njjoe

·
Registered
842 Posts
I agree with all the above (maybe there is a different dealer around you. The noise could be from the piece of metal that contacts the rotor once the brake pads are just about worn out, its like a early warning system. If it is you should be able to see a circular line on the rotor towards the outside.

I have had no problem or noise from my ceramic pads while they were in the car. I will be changing my brake pads back to OEM soon as the present ones are to noisy when I brake and give off far to much dust.

You definitely need a second opinion from some one else who knows something about brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Many (including me) have the same problem. The noise is coming from the parking brake shoes which are on the inside of the rear hubs. A normal brake job is not going to fix that. I know because when I complained they did a 4 wheel new pad and rotor (well, they turned the rotors!) job and it did not help at all. But they missed checking the parking brakes and I forgot to tell them thinking they should know. Well, they don't! Tell the dealer you specifically want the parking brake shoes replaced.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
There is a TSB for brake noise while backing up. You can find it on www.nissanhelp.com

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I couldn't tell where my LOUD SQUEALING was coming from, but I suspected the Fronts.
Suer enough, when they did the TSB a couple of years ago, they replaced the Pads an all was well.

Good thing too.
They had tried several things on a previous trip with no success and I was ready to sell the car.
I don't expect a 30K car to embarrass me for a block in all directions. :)

I haven't heard of this problem so I expect that it is not a common problem and one of the tips from above may do it for you. I kinda like the Parking brake theory.

Homer

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had a different problem with the brakes. I started the car, put it in reverse and the car didn't move, like the parking brake was on. The parking brake pedal was not set. I gave the car more power and the car acted like a rear wheel was blocked. After seveal tries there was a noise , the brakes released and all seems fine now. I assume the parking brake didn't release correctly. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
We tossed this around the board some time back on the org.
If this may put your mind at ease I'm not sure. I had the TSB done and the noise came back in a few days. It was somewhat louder on some days and it even happened in the parking lot after being inside a store for 20 or 30 minutes. I was quite frustrated about the whole matter and then one day.......it just went away and never came back. It lasted for a while, maybe a couple of months but after several thousand miles the annoyance just went away. I assume the brakes finally seat or something.
Here is the old thread.
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=160

It will go away. eventually.
PS. It was fun reading again that thread and seeing the old posters like Grip being so involved.
Bob1

·
Registered
470 Posts
The problem I had was that the rear parking brakes were locked on and wouldn't release so I couldn't back up the car even though the parking brake pedal was released. After trying to move the car back and forth I was able to force the brakes to release and everything seems normal. When the brakes released is when I heard the loud clunk sound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts