Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got rear-ended, the other part paid for bumper replacement.
However, I've decided to keep the original one. Heat gun does wonders with Murano's bumper: I was able to repair the original bumper.
Therefore, I’m stuck with a brand new, painted (Black-and whatever color trim is) bumper. All job was done in a very high-tech body shop. Everything was estimated for $450.00.
I can't make up my mind: keep that brand new bumper on the shelf or sell it???
Done some research: list price for a bumper is within the range $209-$250.00, so it gives $200.00 for paint job. Is it normal? Lower? Higher? Anyone?
Thank you for input.

BTW: I'm at 12K and LOVING IT! Going to post some pics...
Hm..anyone in Tri- State area in market for rear, black bumper cover?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had my rear bumper cover replaced. The dealer supplied the bumper cover to the body shop, so I don't know what their cost was for that. The cost to remove old bumper, paint new one & install it was $514.00.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before 1

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before 2

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before 3

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After 1

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 2

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 3

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is how we do it:)

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone for rear bumper cover? huh?

·
Registered
16 Posts
ra3boy,

wow. you repaired that yourself?? nice friggin' job. and with a heat gun? lemme guess, the heat re-expands the styrofoam that is under the plastic bumper panel? i'm totally curious in hearing exactly how you did it...how much heat, etc.

i'm thinking of busting my heat gun out and giving it a go on my dinged rear bumper!

thanks!

kirk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kirk,
The idea to use heat is as old as this world. It takes two to do the job. Frankly, that wasn't real heat gun at all: wife's hair drier:)I strongly recommend a real heat gun: pro level. Unless you want to spend a couple of hours for heating only. The rear bumper cover is not accessible from inside. Therefore, we used rear wheel's well as a point of entry. What did we use? Hm...my old rusty club(the one you put on steering wheel).Yep, you heat and push, heat and push...peace by peace. Brother of mine and I are not pros in any kind of body work , however the results are for B+. You still can tell/see the point of impact :(

p.s. you heat only externally, and bumper cover only!!!
Good luck with your project! Did you happen to have Black Murano?:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry, mine's silver...

hey thanks for the info. so, how did you deal with the inner foam core? push right through it?

kirk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Fixed the rear bumper with hair dryer...?
Heck you did a good job at it.

Wondering why you did not just cut the check instead...dang! this is the first time you used the hair dryer/heat gun or whatever...heat and push huh...

Nizmo

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nizmo said:
Fixed the rear bumper with hair dryer...?
Heck you did a good job at it.

Wondering why you did not just cut the check instead...dang! this is the first time you used the hair dryer/heat gun or whatever...heat and push huh...

Nizmo
I ordered bumper first and then decided to give it a try. What did I have to loose? I liked the end result more than brand new bumper. OEM's paint is the best!!!
So now I'm going to nail this MF..ng bumper to the wall in garage

·
Registered
1 Posts
:) Just wanted to let you know your technique worked great for a bump out on my Murano. My wife backed into a pole and broke the tail light and put a dent in the bumper. Luckily it was high enough I could go in up by the taillight (enough room to slip a bar behind the bumper skin. A little heat from a heat gun and it popped right out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts