Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the cost would be to replace the rear bumper (or is it just a bumper cover??) for a 2004 Murano? All I can find online are bumper protectors and aluminum bumper reinforcers (neither of which would have helped me if had one installed).

I somehow managed to poke a nice hole in the plastic bumper while doing a K-turn in a very narrow street. I know how people love to read stories of others screwing up, so here goes...

I accidentally turned onto a busy road when I should have gone straight, so I found a small, quiet dead-end street to turn around. As I'm backing up, slowly, trying to find the curb with my rear tires, I hear this crunch/rip sound, followed immediately with blood-curdling screaming (that was me, by the way :3: ). So I get out to look, and there's a hole in the grey, lower part of my rear bumper (black with grey). The road side was overgrown and not well maintained by the town, so naturally the guard rail consisting of metal posts (maybe 2 feet tall) and metal cables was just lying in the street - all except for one lonely, brave little post. And this one, having been hit before, was leaning forward and sticking into the street. So there was no chance of finding the curb before finding this post. AND, to make matters worse, I discover that the smaller grey portion of the bumper is NOT a separate part, so now I gotta replace the whole damn thing...or live with it.

hmmm, I've vented, but I don't feel any better.

Got any suggestions on where to find prices (the dealer is closed today)? thanks!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
Sorry to hear that you hurt the murano...

Things happen, dont blame your self too much :4:
That is what insurance is for.

Recently, there is a forum member who got rear ended and need a new bumper. It cost him (as i recall) around $700 - $800, including labor. See this thread: http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4681

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's a cover. it shouldn't run more $215-$230 from any NIssan Dealer.
To paint(two tone) $300. Labor to install $100-150 so the total comes $600.
What color do you have? I have brand new rear bumper cover painted KH3(BLACK) for more than a year. I never installed it since I was able repiar my original cover.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bumper cover is black with a grey/silver area in the center part of the bottom end. That silver part is where I punched the hole right thru. Maybe I'll just Gorilla-Glue some kind of plastic, glossy black patch over the hole, and put another patch the same distance from the center on the other side. How's that for a cheap fix...

KH3 sounds familiar - I think that was the color code for my 1994 Pathfinder, and it might be the same for the Murano. I'll check it out later.

thanks...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been hit on a small street 2 weeks ago and damaged the front bumper in the same area. Went to the dealer and was told the entire bumper needed to be replaced, to cost about CDN$1,300 and 2 days in the shop.
So can I just get the silver/gray plastic portion of the bumper replaced instead? It is that silver/gray plastic portion, right behind the licence plate. Please tell me what's the part name or number so I can go to a dealer and get it. Thanks!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Unfortunately, you can't just replace the grey/silver area. It's not a separate part. The whole cover has to be replaced. I'd get some other estimates. $1300CDN seems really high.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well lokking at the quotation, the actual part is only about $500, but then plus labor and miscellaneous stuff plus taxes come to a total right under CDN$1300. Thanks for your advice. I am just surprised the grey part is not separate. I wonder if the SE with the pewter colored air intake is more sturdy as it seems to be not plastic like on the SL.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Maybe it's because you're in Canada, (and everything is more expensive?), but I had my rear bumper replaced for less than $800 US (and the rear bumper costs more than the front). I guess it doesn't really matter if insurance is paying for it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What would be a good technique to fill minor scratches and sand it smooth and paint the rear bumper with matching color !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last month my wife messed up the front bumper (1/4" hole),took it to a quality body shop for estimate.Gave me a price of $250,he said they can now repair plastic like metal because of new products.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
You will be surprised to learn how much it costs nowadays for a new bumper. It won't be $600.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I don't feel so bad about screwing up my bumper - I'm obviously not alone!

I'd rather not file a claim with insurance and see my rates go up.

A friend of mind does body work for a living in told me he could probably repair the hole easily and inexpensively. Plus, if I manage to continue to screw-up my bumper with a new hole every 5,100 miles, then he can probably get me a new one at a discounted price and install it for free. He says they usually come pre-painted from the factory at for at least the first 5+/- years.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I know from experience that the Murano's bumper does not come pre-painted from the factory. I wish it did. I had to have my replacement bumper painted three times to get the color right.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey zoob, I had a front bumper mishap a couple of months back when my unoccupied MO rolled away at a gas station. It was not in gear, or I should say not in Park, my bad.
The front bumper was scratched and dented about 2 inches deep, it was right above the fog lamp on the passenger side. There was a very minor scratch on the grill. The headlight lens was marred, not scratched. They replaced the bumper, (I guess it was the skin), replaced the grill and wet sanded the lens. I can't believe you can sandpaper a plastic lens but you can and it looks brand new. The bumper skin as well as the grey plastic replaced.
All this was about 800 USD. There is no evidence of any trauma to the car and she looks as good as new. Perfect paint match and all.
This was done at a top rated body shop not the dealer. The Dealer referred me to a nearby Ford shop as this Nissan dealer did not do body work. I said , no thanks and found a good shop on my own.
Sorry Bad-Driver about your mishap. I feel the pain. First it's disbelief and anguish, then reality sets in. It sucks!
Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
bob1 said:
Hey zoob, I had a front bumper mishap a couple of months back when my unoccupied MO rolled away at a gas station. It was not in gear, my bad.
The front bumper was scratched and dented about 2 inches deep, it was right above the fog lamp on the passenger side. There was a very minor scratch on the grill. The headlight lens was marred, not scratched. They replaced the bumper, (I guess it was the skin), replaced the grill and wet sanded the lens. I can't believe you can sandpaper a plastic lens but you can and it looks brand new. The bumper skin as well as the grey plastic replaced.
All this was about 800 USD. There is no evidence of any trauma to the car and she looks as good as new. Perfect paint match and all.
This was done at a top rated body shop not the dealer. The Dealer referred me to a nearby Ford shop as this Nissan dealer did not do body work. I said , no thanks and found a good shop on my own.
Sorry Bad-Driver about your mishap. I feel the pain. First it's disbelief and anguish, then reality sets in. It sucks!
Bob1

Sounds like a reason to start using the parking brake! I thought you couldn't remove the key from the ignition unless the shifter was in Park.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sounds like a reason to start using the parking brake! I thought you couldn't remove the key from the ignition unless the shifter was in Park.

Yes Eric, the key was in and I was having a brain challenged day!
When you really get stupid you leave the key with the car shut off while it's in Drive. Oh yeah, when you're as dumb as a sack of rocks you also fail to set the parking brake.
The dirty dark embarrassing details are in this thread Eric. PS..you are in that thread also.:(

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4179

Bob1

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah well, we all have our moments! Less than a month after I bought my Murano I backed into the garage to unload some large boxes and as I pulled out, I forgot to close the rear hatch, which hit the top of the garage door with a loud smack. A sack of rocks would have made it into MENSA that day compared to my stupid mistake. And yeah the center display was beeping "rear door open" but I ignored it. :25:

Fortunately the part that actually hit was the rear wiper locknut cover, which fell off and cracked in half. My kind Nissan dealer, after a good laugh, replaced the cover for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It might be a Nissan thing then. My friend tells me that it's quite common to get a pre-painted stuff from the factory for newer-model cars.

Bob1 - yeah, I'm pretty much over it now. It helps that the hole I put in the bumper cover is moreor less underneath the car. It's just not that visible.

On an unrelated note, I'm heading to work this morning when I drive past this Pathfinder - it's an older model, black, and has a UNCW sticker in the top center of the rear window. About 2 more car-lengths down the highway I realize, Hey!! That's my old car! I sold it last September. Great to see that she's still on the road.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks bob1 for your input. I have gotten a 2nd quotation and is about CAD$1,100. They said most of the vertical pieces in the air intake area are cracked. So I guess the damage is more extensive than one would have thought based on just looking at it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts