Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove Mom's 2004 Mo last night and the rear control arm collapsed at low speed (thank goodness). Had the car towed to her place, now we need to make repairs.
Anyone replaced the rear suspension arms on their Mo. I'm hoping we can do this without too much trouble. I will try to upload a picture of the mess

·
Registered
279 Posts
Drove Mom's 2004 Mo last night and the rear control arm collapsed at low speed (thank goodness). Had the car towed to her place, now we need to make repairs.
Anyone replaced the rear suspension arms on their Mo. I'm hoping we can do this without too much trouble. I will try to upload a picture of the mess
Pretty impressive. Your biggest struggle with this job will probably be with rust so have plenty of penetrating oil ready and a torch if you have one. With that amount of corrosion, check the subframes (front and rear--notorious problem for Muranos in rust belt states). Good luck!

EDIT: Looking at the 2nd picture, I don't like how the coil spring looks cocked. Be careful with that since it probably still has quite a bit of tension.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Actually, from a close look at pic 2, the spring is pushed all the way thru the rusted control arm, so no need for a spring compressor set.

Remove the tire, brake assembly (Caliber & rotor) and then the top of the shock. Everything will drop down and spring will fall out. I would use a cutting torch to remove everything except in the swing bolt area and ball joint.

After putting the pivot bolt in on the new control arm, place the spring in place and use a floor jack to raise the control arm and compress the spring while putting on a new shock.

Be safe with proper gear and support everything properly. If using a cutting torch, place a fire extinguisher close by and avoid aiming the torch at anywhere but what you're cutting.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Like mentioned by I need coffee, check every area of your front and rear subframes, especially check the front subframe near where the AC condensate drips. Mine rusted out internally before I noticed how bad it was.... Use a hammer on any suspicious areas to be sure it's all solid.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on Mom's Murano. Lower control arm replaced with a part from Nissan. Nut was rusted onto the bolt so new ones were used. No issues with the other control arm, springs or subframes. Parts were about $150 Canadian and 2 hours labour to complete. $ wheel alignment this week to put her back in the game

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
KBrian
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing