Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just moved from the East Coast (Halifax) to the Prairies (Winnipeg) and enjoyed every mile of the drive, all 2311 of them, it was time to find a new dealer for a Maintenance #1 Service and a tire rotation.

I was in and out within 50 mins but with two notations on the invoice. The first was a suggestion to flush and change the coolant. Not a bad idea since it is half way through its 3rd winter (although still protecting to -40F as they confirmed) , but since my son is an Auto Mechanic Apprentice he can take care of that for much less than the Cdn$123.23 + tax that they will charge.

However the second item in which they suggest I flush/change the "Rear Diff/FR Transfer Case (Dirty)" has me puzzled.

-How would it get dirty since I thought this was a sealed unit unlike the engine where the oil does get dirty.
-I don't recall seeing anything in the Nissan Maintanance Schedules suggesting this.
-Why so expensive at Cdn$278.78+tax. I seem to recall from pictures of the Transfer Case in another thread, that this is difficult to get at thus resulting in a high labour cost?

So is this this just another money maker for the $tealer or is it a good idea???

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It would have it done.... but how many miles are on your MO?

The oil can get dirty just from normal wear of the gears... also moisture is mixed in with the oil too.

It is something pretty straight forward that your son could do or a local garage. Do a search, as I recall someone wrote up steps to do it yourself. Generally speaking its easy but as I recall it was difficult to gain access to one of the drain plugs.

·
5,268 Posts
I have FX AWD and did change transfer, front and rear diff oils at 30k miles. I did it myself using Amsoil full synthetic oils. And yes, the oil was "dirty". This wasn't a problem. But I found some metal debris. When you change the the oil you remove debris as well hence prolonging life of the gears.

It wasn't difficult. If your son is a mechanic he could definitely do it.....it is not so difficult.

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
rjardine-

The Nissan Service Manual recommends that the coolant be changed at 60,000 miles (96,000 km) or 48 months. The differential oil does not need to be changed (ever) unless you are towing a trailer. Your dealer is just using a common practice employed by most dealers to scare up business.

With no disrespect intended towards Kris and Gonzo but some of the members here go way above and beyond the service recommendations outlined in the Nissan Service Manual. While there is nothing wrong in that, it may give the impression that these additional services or shortened service intervals are required to keep the MO running healthy, and that is just not the case. If you simply follow the maintenance schedule outlined in the back of the Owners Manual your MO should last for many years.

-njjoe

·
5,268 Posts
Common Joe, do not be "minimalistic"..:D

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Kris said:
Common Joe, do not be "minimalistic"..:D
Kris-

There has to be some voice of reason here to balance out you lunatics (that was obviously meant as a term of respect and endearment;) ).

If guys like you, Gonzo, GripperDon, and jaak were responsible for writing the MO's Service Manual we would be required to changed the CVT fluid every year and the syn-oil every 3,000 miles, we could only run premium fuel and would have to clay bar the MO twice a year and polish it monthly. Aside from the added expense we would have a.... sweet-running MO with a fantastic shine. :D

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
OK you got me.... but njjoe is right the only requirement for replacing the fluid is under the PM service. The S1 and S2 don't call it out.

So njjoe I bet you don't **ever** replace the cigarette lighter.... every 30,000 or 1 year for me. Not that I smoke but I want to ensure it will work just in case I need to light something up. :1:

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Gonzo said:
So njjoe I bet you don't **ever** replace the cigarette lighter.... every 30,000 or 1 year for me. Not that I smoke but I want to ensure it will work just in case I need to light something up. :1:
:2: You just gotta' love this place!

Watch, a year from now, someone is going to have problems with their cigarette lighter, they'll search the posts, come across this gem, and they'll say "Gonzo recommends that we replace the lighter every 30K miles or one year". :5:

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If I had an AWD......
With Nissan's reputation for transfer cases.....
And I read about Kris's alarming finding.........

I would change the fluid regardless of Nissans' reco or lack of.
After all they are the ones who built all those transfer cases that have failed and are failing.

But then again that's me, ol' lunatic Homer. ;)

Homer

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I like about this forum - you post a question and get a good healthy discussion in response.

To answer Gonzo's question and to correct my omission, the MO has about 62,000km on the clock, almost 39,000 miles. So my original intent to change the coolant just before next winter can remain.

As for the transfer case, I am one of those who religiously changes the oil every 6000km and provides the synthetic to the dealer. (Never used synthetic before the MO). Overkill to be sure but I have always thought that on-schedule oil changes are the cheapest form of insurance to ensure a trouble free engine. So it would not be out of character to have this done, especially with Kris' findings and Homer's always succinct thoughts in mind. Guess I'll drop by the boy's place of work in the week or so and have him take a look!

·
5,268 Posts
Joe,

I forgot one thing - I always change air in tires every 30k miles. I know it goes bad at around 31k miles (I have calculated the amount of 'spins' it can withstand..). I do not want anybody get nasty surprise during tires changes. Also during inflating tires I do test a comprehensive test of local air for particulars content as well as molecular structure of nitrogen and oxygen.....

You know, only the best for the Murano....;)

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Kris said:
Joe,

I forgot one thing - I always change air in tires every 30k miles. I know it goes bad at around 31k miles (I have calculated the amount of 'spins' it can withstand..). I do not want anybody get nasty surprise during tires changes. Also during inflating tires I do test a comprehensive test of local air for particulars content as well as molecular structure of nitrogen and oxygen.....

You know, only the best for the Murano....;)
Kris-

Now this one, I almost believe. :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't forget about wiping down the engine compartment about every 500 miles- get those black plastic pieces good and shiny.

It's especially important to do this prior to bringing it in for service. The techs will know you actually look under the hood and are less likely to make a mess under there.

Of course they may be tempted to eat lunch there since it'll be "so clean you can eat off it".

·
Registered
12,665 Posts
Gonzo-

What did I tell you? Someone was bound to take your post seriously. :2:

ekaxel-

You need to read this thread from the beginning to truly appreciate Gonzo's post.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Count me in as a maintenance lunatic. Ask any Toyota owner who has 200,000 miles in a beat up Camry what was their secret - its always fanatical maintenance.

While it doesn't *have* to be done, it doesn't hurt to do the extra maintenance. Besides, its part of the pride of ownership to work on your own car. I do agree that if you don't do your own work and pay someone else to do it, then it might not be cost effective to pay for extra services. But to each their own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts