Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I runover a small to medium size bump/manhole/ road seam etc.. the front end is very smooth but the back end sounds like and acts like it bottoms out with a thud and sometimes the back end feels like it kicks up. I have also noticed the back end almost jump to teh the side when I hit a overcrossing seam in a tight turn today. Has anyone else experienced this? I have the SL FWD. Has anyone looked into aftermarket rear shocks that would help?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, I've experienced a 'bounce' in the back end while going over a road seam in various curves. I also got this out of my last Exploder Sport. Admittedly the MO handles it better than the Ford...

I've even felt this in a friend's 'stang. He has a pretty tight suspension on that. I think it'll happen to almost ANY car if you hit the bump/crease right, depending on your suspension. :/

But I can only speak from experience. Others will be able to clarify :)

As for the 'thud', I think that was in a service bulletin. Rubber stoppers on 'something' back there needed to be shaved down a bit, as they were rubbing and making nasty sounds while going over bumps.

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
Doombringer said:
Yes, I've experienced a 'bounce' in the back end while going over a road seam in various curves. I also got this out of my last Exploder Sport. Admittedly the MO handles it better than the Ford...

I've even felt this in a friend's 'stang. He has a pretty tight suspension on that. I think it'll happen to almost ANY car if you hit the bump/crease right, depending on your suspension. :/

But I can only speak from experience. Others will be able to clarify :)

As for the 'thud', I think that was in a service bulletin. Rubber stoppers on 'something' back there needed to be shaved down a bit, as they were rubbing and making nasty sounds while going over bumps.
what TSB is this doom???

id like to look into it......

-eSe

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Are you used to trucks?

I know that we kid around here, and we have polls and what not as to exactly "what" a Murano is.........but be assured it is officially a truck.

And trucks, when they don't have anything in them, ride a bit rough.
Especially in the back where you carry that cargo.
The suspension back there has to be designed to carry 1000 pounds (or so) of cargo whithout bottoming out and breaking something.
So the springs are very firm and the shocks are very tight.

Put 500 pounds in the back, collapse those springs a bit, and watch that ride smooth out.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
RA03-001 NTB03-026 March 21, 2003
METALLIC KNOCK/CLUNK NOISE OVER BUMPS
APPLIED VEHICLE: 2003 Murano (Z50)
APPLIED VINS: 2WD: vehicles built before JN8AZ08T63W104653
AWD: vehicles built before JN8AZ08W53W211008
APPLIED DATE: Vehicles built before December 13, 2002
IF YOU CONFIRM:
A metallic knock/clunk noise from the rear of the vehicle, especially during cold ambient
temperatures, when:
• Driving over large bumps
AND/OR
• Driving on rough surfaces

If confirmed, procedure involves cutting off rubber tabs on the rear shock upper mounting brackets.

Weights:

Curb (lbs.)

— 2WD SL 3,801

— 2WD SE 3,806

— AWD SL 3,955

— AWD SE 3,960

• Weight Distribution (%) Front/Rear

— 2WD 60/40

— AWD 59/41

• GVWR (lbs.)

— 2WD 4,858

— AWD 5,053

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, i do know what a truck feels like. I traded in a 95 pathfinder with 173,000 miles and had rancho 5000 shocks. I know what stiff feels like. This feels like the opposite. Oh by the way I had 3 people comfortably riding on the back seat then it happened last night. I admit I was driving it hard into a corner when it happened. I am most concerned about the bottom out feeling when the back end hits an abrupt object. It typically has to be taller than 2-3 in. or a major dip in the road. Under normal driving conditions it handles and feels awesome. i wonder if the rear shocks are spec extra soft to counter the stiff spring?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I have no idea.
Mine doen't feel that way.
Mine feels like an unladened PU truck. Bang when I hit. Def not bottoming.
Mayb you have a bad shock........

Homer

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was think about that but it ride sooo good and corners well under normal conditions. I will have to keep an eye on it and see what I can do about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts