Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little over a year ago, I was hit by a redlight runner and got a new front bumper (cover).

Couple months later, I got rear-ended by someone not paying attention and got a rear bumper (cover).

Yesterday I stopped for a school bus that had "cheated" into the intersection ahead and was rear-ended again and will be getting a new rear bumper, liftgate, quarter panel, muffler and tailpipes, driver's seat, pedals module, paint job, and whatever else crops up as these are being repaired. Includes a trip to the frame straightener (can you say "never the same again"?).

Oh, and a few muscle relaxers and a day or two off (unpaid, of course).

The other guy's truck was totalled. The bus has some front bumper damage where I was pushed into it.

And, big surprised, his insurance company is being very non-communicative, except to say that they will get me a rental. In a few days. IF they have to accept liability.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My friend had a Saturn that was a magnet for accidents. She was hit 6 times over 1 1/2 years. She traded it in for a Rav4.

That was 2 years ago.

Accident free ever since.

Might be time to upgrade to a newer MO.

Good luck.

UncaDanno said:
Little over a year ago, I was hit by a redlight runner and got a new front bumper (cover).

Couple months later, I got rear-ended by someone not paying attention and got a rear bumper (cover).

Yesterday I stopped for a school bus that had "cheated" into the intersection ahead and was rear-ended again and will be getting a new rear bumper, liftgate, quarter panel, muffler and tailpipes, driver's seat, pedals module, paint job, and whatever else crops up as these are being repaired. Includes a trip to the frame straightener (can you say "never the same again"?).

Oh, and a few muscle relaxers and a day or two off (unpaid, of course).

The other guy's truck was totalled. The bus has some front bumper damage where I was pushed into it.

And, big surprised, his insurance company is being very non-communicative, except to say that they will get me a rental. In a few days. IF they have to accept liability.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno said:
UncaDanno-

That is truly a shame. But at least no one was hurt.

At least the driver who rear-ended you had insurance. You see it more and more lately where someone has an accident and you find out they are uninsured.

Here in New Jersey, if you are rear-end someone you are at fault, regardless of any other factors.

Good luck with the repairs.

-njjoe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you live? I want to make sure I don't go there with my MO!
I live about 25 miles east of Charlotte, NC, the demolition capital of the world. They erected a sign on Independence "Freeway" a few months back that is updated each day with the number of accidents since (I can't remember when). Averages about 300 a day.
Yes, 300. Not a typo. Three hundred.

When I moved from Charlotte to where I live now, my insurance rates dropped by 20%. When I told my agent that I still work in Charlotte, the rates went back up by 10%.

You don't want to drive in Charlotte in ANY ride.

They also have a large number of fatalities due to wrong-way driving, at extremely high speeds (over 100MPH) by drunk high school kids and illegal aliens (Outside Texas and SoCal, Charlotte has the highest concentration of illegals in the nation, due to their protection by local laws).

Mr3Putt, the Boss Lady and I are beginning to think the same about my MO. In the 25 years I have lived in this area, I have been hit 7 times. Three in the past 17 months. In the MO.

The really sad thing about the situation was when I called the body shop to have the MO repaired. It's a REAL busy place. Last time the MO was fixed (back bumper) was a little over a year ago. When the lady picked up the phone and I told her my name (that's all, just my name), she said "Oh, hey Dan. Did the Murano get hit again?"

·
Registered
89 Posts
UncaDanno said:

When the lady picked up the phone and I told her my name (that's all, just my name), she said "Oh, hey Dan. Did the Murano get hit again?"
lol

300 a day..... seems a bit hard to believe:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Enforcer,

Yep, the neck's stiff. Doesn't really hurt much unless I tilt my head back. Strained the muscles in the front of my neck.

Whispas, I'll put it to ya like this: I have travelled to Boston several times. Rented a car at Logan and drove to Braintree and Westwood. I would much rather drive in Boston than in Charlotte.
Know where the freeway headed north narrows from goo-gobs of lanes to two to go through the tunnel? If that was in Charlotte, there would also be a large crane installed over the tunnel entrance to snatch the wrecked vehicles and move them out of the way.

Remember, Charlotte is not too far removed from the origins of NASCAR, which consisted of competitions between bootleggers and ridgerunners with copious swappping of the paint. Old habits die hard in these here parts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The games have officially begun...

The other guy's insurance co. finally got me into a rent-a-wreck on Thursday. Tried to put me in a rollerskate, but after I mentioned to them I bought the MO for a reason the upgraded the rental "all the way up" to a minivan. MINIVAN. So I picked a Chevy Uplander. Not too shabby.

I called the adjuster today to see if she had any happy news. She said they "had released an amount" to the bodyshop so they could get started on repairs. About $5800.
The copy she sent me makes no mention of the damage to passenger side from the school bus' front bumper. Or the broken driver's seat. But it does mention the frame work and a four-wheel alignment.

I made sure to get her assurance that if anything comes up that the appraiser missed, the bodyshop can get more money to do the repairs.

Posted up a couple of pics in the gallery.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno-

That doesn't look all that bad. (Yeah, I know, that's easy for me to say.) When you said you had a bent frame I had assumed the damage was far worse. I thought the car had been "sandwiched" and the body structure had collapsed. That should all be easily repairable, again.

Out of curiosity, how did the pedal module and seat get get damaged? Did the police at least issue a ticket to the person who rear-ended you?

Good luck with your MO.

-njjoe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without taking it apart, I would have to say that the seat broke loose from its moorings. It was an un-fixed "rocker". After the collision the seat had rocked back about 6 inches at the top.
I don't know for certain if the pedal module was damaged. But I do know that upon impact the brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there until I pumped it a couple of times.

The police officer pretty much bailed. He said "It is not my job to place blame or assign liability. I will leave that to your insurance companies."

We're talking Charlotte here. At least he was personable. That's about the most you can hope for. Hey, he used my tag number for my phone number on the accident report.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yeah, I lived there for 4 years, I see not much has changed.
I was driving an extremely fast car that was banged up from a 140mph fence adventure when I lived there so it was all fun to me.

Idlewild ohhhh yeahhhhh.

I actually had a cop point at me to slow down as I was broad siding it over the crest of a hill getting some air.
(sheepish grin--thanx ocifer)
hehehehe

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
it must be that rare deep bordeaux that's causing you problems. others must wanna make it extinct. DON"T LET THEM SUCCED haha.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a call from the body shop last Friday. The MO should be ready sometime this week.

Got a call from the Boss Lady this morning.

She was rear-ended on the way in to work...

I JUST LOOOOOVE WORKING IN THIS TOWN!!!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
UncaDanno said:
Got a call from the Boss Lady this morning.

She was rear-ended on the way in to work...
Unca Danno,

You have got to be kidding!!!:eek: The drivers in your area must be absolute lunatics. :3:

I hope your wife is O.K.

If I were you I would buy a twenty year-old body-on-frame car like a Ford LTD, Chevy Caprice, or Caddy. Then I would outfit it with police-spec push bars front and rear. Other drivers may show a little more respect to a beast like that.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
njjoe said:
If I were you I would buy a twenty year-old body-on-frame car like a Ford LTD, Chevy Caprice, or Caddy. Then I would outfit it with police-spec push bars front and rear. Other drivers may show a little more respect to a beast like that.
Or....install a tow bar with a connector bar that sticks out and aims for the radiator of the car behind you. That will teach them a lesson.....:D

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Joe, the general mindset in the QC is a lot like what you see in mgthe3's earlier post.
Not an ad hominem, mgthe3. You gotta admit that your comments were probably low-key compared to the demolition derby that goes on there daily.

Believe it or don't, for three years I drove what I lovingly referred to as "The Bucket". An S-10 Blazer (with the 80s "blue mange") that I bought for $800 and expected to get pounded in traffic.
It did. I was hit twice. After my son bought it from me, it was totalled three times.

Its successor, another S-10 Blazer, was the trade-in for the MO.

Before The Bucket, I drove my Dodge Ram pickup. With a hook-and-pintle (military) hitch. With the jaws open.
A lady rear-ended the Ram once. I got a scratch on my rear bumper. When the tow truck pulled our rides apart, her radiator was in the jaws of the hitch.

Mebbe I needs to look for another Bucket for the commute.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Your insurance rates must be out of sight.
I don't subscribe to the theory that only some people are accident prone, but I know if "I" was your insurance company, I would stick you, and stick you hard.

Come to think of it, since insurance is a shared risk agreement, you are costing ME money...........:eek:

Homer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts