Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday on my way home from work, I was stopped and some young girl was not paying attention and rear ended me. It was stop on go traffic, so luckily she was only going 10mph at the most. She hit me and I was pushed forward into a truck in front of me. Nobody was hurt, which was most important, but my poor MO. I will post pictures later, but it just seems to be bumper coverage damaged. I am guessing I will need a new front and rear bumper cover, hopefully that is it. The girl reported the accident right away, and took fault for it. I will be dropping my car off at a Progressive Collision Center Monday morning, and they are to have a rental car for me. They said I should have my MO back by Friday pending the parts come in overnight as they stated they would.

It is just more a pain to deal with this. Once I get it repaired, I will need to have my clear bra re-installed as well. I am thinking the insurance will have to pay for that correct?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
milgrad-

Sorry to hear about your MO getting sandwiched. That stinks. So, let me guess, was the girl talking on a cell phone when the accident occurred?:3:

Unless you policy specifically states it covers after-market items, it is doubtful it will cover the clear bra. However, if you get the insurance adjuster to write it up it is possible it may slip through.

This is why I get a kick out of people who insist on tinting their tail lights. I want the brightest tails possible when I am in stop-and-go traffic. I want to make sure the car behind me can see my stop-lights even if they are turning their heads.

-njjoe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Girl was actually not on the phone...Just not paying attention...Just talked to the insurance adjuster and they stated clear bra will be covered. Yes, it was after-market, but it is permanently installed on the vehicle. There was no way I was going to fork out 600 bucks to have a new clear bra installed, when the accident was not my fault.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to hear Milgrad, but it's good that she's claimed fault for it. I agree with the tinted tail light post. I had a durango for 5 years and never had any problems until I put those Ram Head covers over my lights. They looked awesome, but I was rear ended twice after installing them. I won't do that again.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not very scientifc, but...........

Seems to me the MO is involved in a lot of rear enders.

Thinking about it, I think the 3rd brake light is in the wrong place.
The MO, being a CUV, is high. Putting the 3rd BL at the very top is not smart IMO.
I want it in line with a sedan drivers eyes.

Seems to me that would put it about the top of the license plate.

Just some random thoughts.

Homer

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
What road were you on Milgrad?

I commute both Parkways daily, one week I hit a guy (softly) in the SH tunnel, the very next week someone hit me.......

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have the same happen to me.... I had the front and rear bumper cover replaced. If it is slight scuff marks then don't! The paint job will never be or last like factory.

IMHO I think the MO is in a lot of incidents like this. I think its due to the 03-05, small not very bright brake lights (must be my perception, perhaps with the 06 LEDs tails it will prove my theory) and the MO can stop very well too.

Of course then there is the factor that people are always looking at the MO not paying attention. Can you blame them.... oh the price on has to pay for owning a MO. ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was on RT 19 in Cranberry TWP.....I wish I could have gotten away without any paint work, but the rear bumper was totally destroyed. They think they can fix the front bumper without painting it. I had the clear bra on the front and it saved the paint. They will be reinstalling it, so it looks like just a new rear bumper cover...Should be ready mid next week....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I agree

hfelknor said:
Not very scientifc, but...........

Seems to me the MO is involved in a lot of rear enders.

Thinking about it, I think the 3rd brake light is in the wrong place.
The MO, being a CUV, is high. Putting the 3rd BL at the very top is not smart IMO.
I want it in line with a sedan drivers eyes.

Seems to me that would put it about the top of the license plate.

Just some random thoughts.

Homer
One of the reason I added the Back OFF.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
I wonder if it is the location of the third brake light or the fact that many people now "multi-task" while driving and are not focused on the task at hand. Combination of both?

I have always liked the idea of Gripper Don's flashing third brake light. Anything that can assist with getting someone's attention is fine by me.

-njjoe

·
Junior Mint
43 Posts
I've witnessed a number of rear-end collisions lately, and they all involved different cars. I don't believe the Murano is some kind of accident magnet - it's more the fault of drivers who aren't driving safely.

ALL of the collisions I witnessed would have been avoided if the drivers had kept a safe distance from the car in front of them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I am a little worried. I took my MO to a Progressive service center yesterday morning at 8AM, they told me it had approx 2200 worth of damage, new rear bumper cover, repair front bumper and re-do the clear bra. They told me 4-5 days until it is finished...Needless to say they called me at 5PM today and said the vehicle was finished. Either they did a horrible job repairing it, or worked on it ALL day yesterday and today. I don't know how they could have gotten the parts so fast, unless a local dealer in Pittsburgh had them. I will be picking it up at 8AM tomorrow, I am hoping for the best, but I am figuring something will be wrong with it and I will be leaving it until it is done to my satisfaction....

Doesn't it take a day or two to paint? One day to paint, next day for the clear coat?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
milgrad-

It is entirely possible to properly paint and rehang the bumpers in two days.

However, I always thought you had to wait xx weeks before you could apply a clear-bra to fresh paint. The following is from FAQ section of the X-Pel website:
"How long should I wait to apply your product if my car has been repainted?"
You will need to talk to your body shop and see what they recommend. The time will vary depending on the type of paint the body shop used, and whether or not the paint was baked. In any case, the time that they say you should wait to wax the paint, is the same time you will need to wait to install our product.

Hopefully they did not rush the installation of the clear-bra, otherwise you may have problems down the road.

-njjoe

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They did not do the clear bra yet...My installer said wait 30 days after paint work...THey are just cutting me a check for it, and I will have it done next month...I am just concerned with the paint job...Is it possible to have it done that quicky?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not an expert on long lasting paint jobs, but...

When I was working with Nascar in PA, we could take a car that was either new or had body work and produce a new car in 2 days......easy.
The new coatings are one stage.
They contain the color, metalic (if necessary), and clear coat.

After sanding and prepping a car (a couple of hours), our guy would spray the car in lwell less than an hour. Bake the car for maybe an hour (paint booth with hi intensity lamps.....take the temp to 140 degrees.......allows the one stage to separate and settle) Air dry the car overnight and put the decals on the next day.
The secret is in the "paint".
Check out PPG's site.
Also Dupont. We used Dupont, I believe.

Homer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts