Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A car pulled out into a highway in front of the car ahead of me, car in front of me stopped, I stopped, Girl behind me couldn’t. My rear camera showed she wasn’t tailgating at all, just didn’t react in time.

I was expecting the damage to be much worse but I think her car nose-diving caused her bumper structure to go under my bumper which prevented further body damage.

Her car was not as lucky. It died when it hit my car, transmission stuck in gear had to be pushed out of the road. This plus 2 airbags (steering wheel and knee) her insurance told her it was totaled right away.

Going under the bumper though meant my exhaust got mushed forward. The 2 exhaust parts cost $1,400 !

I took the rear bumper cover off at home a couple of weeks later to check for more damage and put the 2 sections of the bumper back together so they wouldn’t flop around so much. The black piece is the rear intelligent key sensor, the gray box is rear door buzzer. Took a bit of searching in the Service manual to figure out what that was.

Other than the rear bumper cover, exhaust, and door sensor it held up really well. The rear foam between the bumper and the bumper cover wasn’t even damaged, no buckling to the rear floor or the rear quarter panel either.

Unfortunately 2 hours after the crash my wrist began to hurt so the next day I got this awesome wrist corset. That hand was on the steering wheel at the time.

The other driver had Liberty Mutual, they started a claim while the Police were doing their thing. They are the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. This collision occurred in April and my car still is not repaired. Since they got my phone number when the claim was started my number is locked to a claims representative and there is no option to talk to anyone else but her when I call. It took 13 days to get the claims representative on the phone before they could tell me that they accepted liability and approved me to go to the body shop of my choice, which by then had already given me an estimate. At that point, the other driver’s car had been at the auto auction for a week. Even though I already had an estimate they wanted to do their own, through photos. Sent them detailed photos, more than I posted here and they still missed several obvious parts such as the missing finisher in the lower middle section (pretty sure that is in the bumper of the other car still) and the 3 chrome trim pieces that I painted gray (one of those are gone as seen in the photos). Their response to the missing parts was to have the body shop send a supplement once it was there.

The body shop I like is a smaller family-run shop and they could not get it in for 3 weeks. That’s when I took it apart to put the bumper parts back together, I also straightened the exhaust a little so I could drive the car. It was making a horrible noise and I was unsure if the restricted flow would cause damage to the motor so I had stopped driving it.

Three weeks later the car went to the body shop as scheduled and I got an upgraded rental from Enterprise due to them forgetting my pickup appointment. I didn’t want to try and shoehorn an Armada in the garage so it’s hanging out in the driveway with the Raptor.

The blue Armada got swapped for a black one a few days later due to the rear air suspension collapsing.

Body shop took my car apart and discovered it would need to go on the frame rack for a very slight pull, they said it would take longer to set it up on the rack than to actually pull it. They made a supplement for the pull and all the missing parts, sent it off to Liberty Mutual, and waited.

My car sat at the body shop like this for 13 days.

Liberty Mutual took 10 days to approve the supplement, by then the body shop had to take the next cars in line to be fixed so it had to wait for an opening. Déjà vu? For those unfamiliar, my car sat at a Nissan dealership for 36 days back in October due to an extended warranty company dragging its feet on approving repair.

Progress! 14 days later

Then another hiccup, one of the 4 parts that need to be painted gray is on backorder. All 4 were on the supplement that took 10 days to approve and was on the list that I tried to get added to the estimate prior to dropping off the car. The bumper cover has been painted but it can’t be assembled until the painted parts are cured.

But while waiting for the part they put on the new exhaust. Not entirely sure why they didn’t paint the body first, would have been less to mask off.

The car has now been at the body shop for 20 days, the missing part is allegedly going to be delivered on Monday and they expect it to be finished Tuesday Afternoon. Liberty Mutual already had Enterprise call to inform me they will not pay for the rental after Tuesday.

Since I know someone will ask why get a rental if I have other cars? I would still have to get home from dropping off the car and I don't like to bother friends for rides and hate using uber/lyft. I also like to drive something different sometimes and I don't mind putting miles on a car that isn't mine since I drive around so much.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
"Ah feel yore pain" from the delays, but at least it sounds like you're getting close. Good luck getting across the finish line.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nice unprotected/uncoated metal bracket that's rusting that they placed there. Couldn't they have just painted the thing before installing it? At least the damage is minimal. At least no frontend damage, too.

I lock into memory certain things that people have told me over the years that seems sound. In this case, over the decades I've always remembered my grandfather telling me that if coming to a stop behind someone and the traffic behind you is still far away, keep a 3-car distance from the car in front of you and depress the brake pedal hard until a few cars behind you have stopped. That way, if someone rearends you, you won't get pushed into the car in front of you and sustain damage front and rear. And most times it's the front damage that will prevent you from being able to drive away after the accident. That piece of advice came in very handy in 1998 when in L.A. and I had to stop for traffic. It was a downhill 55MPH zone that dropped to 35MPH before the stop light, and in my mirror I could see a car coming up behind me very rapidly, so I depressed the brake pedal as hard as I could (and braced for impact - nowhere to go...people were on sidewalk to the right, left lane had line of cars) just before it slammed into me. My truck skidded forward but managed not to contact the car in front by a few inches. The rear-ending of my '89 S-10 Blazer only destroyed the tailgate and bumper because I always drove with the rear hatch window opened, as the spare tire got shoved forward. The car that hit me was totaled. After the accident, the woman in front who was a witness remarked how she couldn't believe my truck didn't get pushed into her car, and I told her what I had done. Unfortunately, my grandfather had died the prior year, so I never got a chance to tell him about his great advice in action.

Reactions: Mo48

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stopped by today, no part and no updated delivery date. Enterprise expects the rental back tomorrow. No one with Liberty Mutual familiar with my claim was available to talk on the phone today.

Painted

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
You seem to be at the center of a perfect storm of market and supply problems, crappy insurance follow-through, and body shop labor conflicts. Wish I had a solution other than beating on Liberty Mutual to pop for another rental.

·
Registered
699 Posts
BTW, after having some bad luck with MO 2003 where people kept bumping into me, I ended up having seven CVTs replaced. In at least three of the cases where I was hit on the driver-front side wheel, clipped hard on the driver-rear, and was side-tapped on the pass-front wheel (all while in motion) I'm reasonably convinced that if MO is struck while moving it may cause damage to the CVT and will start to fail in 2-6 months. In the case of the driver-front-side impact, the CVT had been replaced by Nissan under their extended warranty a few months prior, and as soon as I was hit my first thought was that the CVT's ruined, but the other's guy's insurance company didn't agree. About two months later (after all the repairs were made) the CVT started making the high-pitched whining sound and acting funny, so I went back to the insurance company and they paid for a new one. With the other CVTs and minor bumps, I don't remember the timeframe for when things went bad, so I can't say if there was a correlation between the accidents and the CVT failing. I just feel that in the three worst accidents, it seemed the CVTs were negatively impacted and started to fail soon after.

You might want to mention to the insurance company that there's a history of the CVT failing within months of an accident, so if months later it starts to fail, you might have better recourse to get it replaced under the original claim. If accurate (and to get it on record) you might tell them your CVT was working fine before the accident, that it made no noise and produced no smells and no fluid leaks that would indicate a problem. I think you usually have one year to pursue a claim for your car. In my case, the final payment for repairs that were made before the CVT started failing was sent to me (it was about a $600 check that was memoed "payment in full fo settle claim.") Playing it safe, I didn't process that check, but held back until I was sure the CVT wasn't damaged. As it turned out, it was a smart move that I believe gave me an easier "in" to have more repairs made.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
Good point. Also, do not sign off that all the repairs needed as a result of the collision have been completed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
26 days at the body shop now. On Thursday the part arrived at the part's supplier about 20 miles from the body shop. They were expecting a courier to bring it that day and the painter was going to stay as late as necessary to get the parts painted so it could be reassembled Friday. Part did not arrive though, if it had not been so late in the day when I found out I would have driven out there to get it myself! Didn't hear anything from them on Friday and I forgot to check before they closed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 31 Car has not moved since day 18. The body shop is now in possession of the missing piece! Somehow the part was mistakenly sent back to a warehouse instead of being sent to the body shop. Because why not? They may stay late tonight painting the parts so I can get my car back tomorrow. Enterprise has already called expecting the rental back tomorrow. Getting close to the extended warranty company delay record of 36!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After 32 days at the body shop, Marco has returned home! Enterprise woke me up Friday morning wanting the car back that day. I checked on my car around 1 pm and they were putting it back together so I went to a restaurant down the street with my laptop and just waited for them to call.

Just one problem, they forgot a piece. The US filler for the European rear fog light.

That part went missing during the collision, it was not on the ground afterward so I’m assuming it's still in the bumper of the other car.

The manager didn’t notice till I pointed it out. The part was on his original estimate that he did but not on the “approved list” of parts from Liberty Mutual. When the employee who disassembled the car made a list of additional damaged parts that were needed, that part was not there, so he didn’t add it to his list for the supplement. The part has now been ordered so I just have to stop by and have it popped in whenever it arrives.

Now to see what they will give me for diminished value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts