Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car in December of 03 its an 04 anyway....after almost a month a rain we finally got some decent sunshine....I noticed that the rear hatch was a lighter color than the rest of the body.....I took it in so that the factory guy could have a look....they decided to repaint and said they where not sure what caused it....One thing that I learned is the hatch is made of high grade plastic and the body is metal so the paint might or did react different...I'm wondering of anyone has seen this with there MO

Mine is the sunlit orange color.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Beemerboy-

I have not seen any MOs where the color of the rear hatch did not perfectly match the rest of the car. Hopefully your's is an isolated case.

It is possible your car may have been damaged in transit or at the dealer and the rear hatch was replaced. That would explain why the paint on the hatch "aged" differently from the rest of the car.

-njjoe

·
Registered
204 Posts
This often happens with cars that have some metal panels and some plastic panels and usually becomes worse with age.

I consider my hatch the same color but in just certain lights it seems to have a different sheen or maybe less depth than the body panels beside it has.

I'll take a look at the other '06s at the dealer when I take it in for it's first service and see if they look the same to me, if not I'll ask the dealer about repainting mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sobamanismo said:
This often happens with cars that have some metal panels and some plastic panels and usually becomes worse with age.

I consider my hatch the same color but in just certain lights it seems to have a different sheen or maybe less depth than the body panels beside it has.

I'll take a look at the other '06s at the dealer when I take it in for it's first service and see if they look the same to me, if not I'll ask the dealer about repainting mine.
I have detailed cars and as a part time biz for the last 30 plus years....I see allot of paint that is not the same reflection quality in the plastic parts as metal....its because they put a relaxing agent in the paint so that it gives with the plastic

·
Registered
204 Posts
A fellow side-line detailer :).....although you do have about 15 years on me....

I didn't think to attribute the difference to the flex-agent but that makes sense. I've seen this over and over myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sobamanismo said:
A fellow side-line detailer :).....although you do have about 15 years on me....

I didn't think to attribute the difference to the flex-agent but that makes sense. I've seen this over and over myself.
Right on I am a weekend detailer for the extra cash and the love of clean cars....a great site to post at is

http://www.detailcity.org

I post there under the same nic.....its free come have alook

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Flex agent would make sense.
If they actually use it.
Do you know that they do?
Remember, "most" plastic panels are designed to flex. (I think of my little plastic car (the recently departed Fiero) that used to be advertised deflecting shopping carts......)

But there is no reason for the hatch to flex. That's not the reason it was made out of plastic. It was made out of plastic because it would have been very difficult to make a steel panel do all the complex shaping.
In fact, it would be better, IMO, if the plastic hatch did not flex.

Homer

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hfelknor said:
Flex agent would make sense.
If they actually use it.
Do you know that they do?
Remember, "most" plastic panels are designed to flex. (I think of my little plastic car (the recently departed Fiero) that used to be advertised deflecting shopping carts......)

But there is no reason for the hatch to flex. That's not the reason it was made out of plastic. It was made out of plastic because it would have been very difficult to make a steel panel do all the complex shaping.
In fact, it would be better, IMO, if the plastic hatch did not flex.

Homer
Homer

I was talking about soft bumpers and such not the hatch...Sorry....I was told this by two people about flex agents....one the Nissan factory guy and a local body shop guy that I know....he said that getting the plastic bumpers to match at times can be a real pain...because of that factor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts