Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 SL and I have been recently experiencing severe plastic rubbing noises that come from the rear hatch. I took the car in to the dealer who confirmed the noise and installed the "rattle patch", but now it is more noticeable and sounds worse than before.

I checked the spare tire, but it is securly fastened. I removed the jack and that didn't make any difference.

Any suggestions to what I should check next? Anyone else experiencing this type of problem?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Any chance your rear license plate is loose and causing some noise? h

I have a plastic cover on mine and I noticed the other day when I shut (slammed) the rear hatch, I could hear a brief rattle sound.

Traced it to the plate cover which was just a little loose.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My '04 SL also has the same problem. It is very noticeable when it's cold and I am starting the car in the morning. But after awhile, the rattle is much less annoying. I just thought that's the way it is....you know...with cheap plastic...ain't much I can do about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - took it to the dealer (twice) and discovered that the rubber grommets on the trunk were rubbing. The first time, they WD-40'd it and it suppressed the noise for about 4 days. This second time, they put a "patch" on the grommets to alleviate the rubbing. We'll see how long that lasts.

Hopefully no one else experiences this problem...by the # of replies, I'm guessing it's just me. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try removing 4 hatch bolts at hinges while supporting hatch and install one millimeter spacers(washers) between hinges and hatch. Also apply a liberal coating of loctite 242 to bolts before re-installing.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Boy, if I ever heard a "been there, done that" answer.........

Nissan dealer Tech?

Homer

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'd be careful removing the hinge bolts.

Done it before on a Caravan and it was a pain in the a$$ aligning the door/hatch again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
wow...thanks for the tip tech22..it worked great!...but you forgot to mention its not the hinge bolts it the ones outside of the hinges, gotta remove all 4 at one time to let the hatch to come to a "rest" point

1 - 8 of 8 Posts