Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to haul some 2x6's the other day and couldn't find a place to attach a tether to the rear hatch door (the boards were 6 and 8 feet long). Is there something I'm missing? I just let the door down and sitting on top of the boards. Of course there was a constant banging sound of the door bouncing on top of the wood. Luckily it was a very short trip. Any ideas?

·
Registered
717 Posts
No tie down on mine either, but I found that the passenger side front seat will fold all the way forward, giving you a nearly flat surface all the way to the front passenger side of the dash. It's been big enough to fit anything I've needed to carry.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Neither did I, Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a blanket that I put over the arm rest and centre console. You can fit 8' lengths of lumber all the way in this way. I then use the tie-downs in the back to keep it stable. I am also only a 3 minute drive home from Home Depot, so that helps.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I love the Home Depot! I've spent many quality nights there just wondering the isles. :10:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Carrying 2 x 4's on the centr consul can be expensive if you have to make a "panic stop"....I've seen a friends dash take major damage from lumber flying in to it....

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Gonzo You are wasting you youth, didn't your mother tell you not to hang out in bad places. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just tried passenger seat, did not fold all the way foward. Any special trick?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Gripper.... too bad you didn't live up here this time of year... you and I could drive the MO to the local Home Depot and hang out in the season isle... snow thrower season... they sort have a CVT like device for the auger.... maybe????

·
4,994 Posts
ROTFL :2:

·
Registered
155 Posts
tie down solution

There is a small(about 2" by 2") flat plastic panel in the center of the rear hatch, on the inside near the bottom. It provides access to wiring inside the hatch. It can be easily removed with fingernails or use a key to pop it out.
I use a bungy cord with hooks, one end hooked into the hole in the hatch created by removal of this little panel, and the other end hooks onto the trailer hitch. If you don't have a hitch, a slightly longer bungy would reach the lip of the bumper trim or to the tow hook.
The small panel snaps back in easily, I've used this method several times at, you guessed it- Home Depot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: tie down solution

bruno said:
There is a small(about 2" by 2") flat plastic panel in the center of the rear hatch, on the inside near the bottom. It provides access to wiring inside the hatch. It can be easily removed with fingernails or use a key to pop it out.
I use a bungy cord with hooks, one end hooked into the hole in the hatch created by removal of this little panel, and the other end hooks onto the trailer hitch. If you don't have a hitch, a slightly longer bungy would reach the lip of the bumper trim or to the tow hook.
The small panel snaps back in easily, I've used this method several times at, you guessed it- Home Depot.
Rather than risking scratching the interior panel, i use my key or a hook to rotate the lock in the hatch to the closed position - that leaves just enough room to attach a bungy or cord between it and the hatch lock at the bottom.
If you search the web for "trunk extenders" you'll find a variety of devices built for just this purpose. I found one with a built in red blinking light and retractable cord - overkill yes, but a nice little gadget that i gave to my Dad for X-Mas. (http://www.tintastrade.com/details/1907470.html)

·
Registered
142 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
No tie down on mine either, but I found that the passenger side front seat will fold all the way forward, giving you a nearly flat surface all the way to the front passenger side of the dash. It's been big enough to fit anything I've needed to carry.
MOpar said:
Just tried passenger seat, did not fold all the way foward. Any special trick?
dklanecky1, which year/options MO do you have? mine (2004 SL) does not let me fold the front passenger seat forward more than about 1/4 of the way.

·
Registered
717 Posts
OOPS, my mistake.

I folded it backwards almost completely flat after moving the seat as far forward as possible. I must have been thinking about another vehicle (I think it's the new Titan that folds forward for a flat surface).

Regardless, it still gives me the room to put almost anything inside.

Sorry guys!:3:

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
dklanecky1 said:
OOPS, my mistake.

I folded it backwards almost completely flat after moving the seat as far forward as possible. I must have been thinking about another vehicle (I think it's the new Titan that folds forward for a flat surface).

Regardless, it still gives me the room to put almost anything inside.

Sorry guys!:3:
Too bad. That was one feature that I really liked about the Saturn VUE (just about the only thing I liked about it, really). Not only did the seat fold flat, but the back of the seat (top portion when folded flat) was a hard plastic and included indentations to put stuff on. So it protected the back of the seat when putting lumber or whatnot on top of it, or you could put your laptop there, or a travel mug that didn't fit in the cup holders, or whatever. Very nice. Saturn has a lot of little things like that in their vehicles. Some really good ideas. Now if their overall quality was just a little bit better they could really be a contender in the automotive market... :rolleyes:

·
4,994 Posts
Yeah but IMO it's so ugly inside, utilitiarian is the best I can say.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
itza ute, ours is a luxury "cruck", I liked that too.
:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tried the ring in the hatch latch. Works great. Idea from thread
" rear hatch tiedown" not "tie down".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts