Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I rented a rototiller and put it in the back of the Mo', but I was unable to close the rear hatch completely because of the handles on the tiller. I used a tie down strap acrosss the top of the hatch and hooked it into the metal latch hoop on the floor. Does anyone have a better method for tying down the hatch that doesn't involve a strap across the painted surface?

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
I sure hope it was clean, no sharp edges, and that you profusly apoligized to the Mo both before and afterward. GRIP :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
bowserdog1 said:
This weekend I rented a rototiller and put it in the back of the Mo', but I was unable to close the rear hatch completely because of the handles on the tiller. I used a tie down strap acrosss the top of the hatch and hooked it into the metal latch hoop on the floor. Does anyone have a better method for tying down the hatch that doesn't involve a strap across the painted surface?
I learned this from a professional flea market guy..... I'll try to explain:

You have two options, they both involve the latch mechanism on the hatch itself.

1. First, snap the hook end of a bungee cord directly into the mechanism. Of course the bungee hook has to be the proper diameter. You simply push the curve of the hook into the clip until it clicks into place. Use the rest of the bungee cord accordingly to secure your cargo. To release the hook, pull on the door release as if you were opening the hatch, while pulling the hook out. I have a couple of yellow bungee cords hidden in my secret compartment for just such occasion. I've used them several times, this method works great. When properly installed you have a very secure method, with no "hatch open" warning light.

If a bungee cord won't do it for you, or you just need a secure anchor point, try this method.

2. Get a large ring and snap it into the latch mechanism as described above. Tie your ropes through the ring. Release it using the same open and tug method. Again, I keep a ring (it's actually a giant key ring) in my compartment. I've used it, although less than the bungee. REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE RING BEFORE SLAMMING THE TRUNK CLOSED!!! Not like thats ever happened or anything......

Done properly, both of these methods work great, and will not damage your MO. That said, use common sense because I take no responsibility if your rototiller lands on I 95, or your trunk lid falls off.

PS. These methods work great on almost any car with a hatch or trunk.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tie down solution

I always have a four foot chunk of 1/4" marlow (strong rope) and a small carbiner (rock climbing clip used for keychains) handy .

Carbiner is just the right size to snap into the gate lock and rope will double up through the tailgate loop or if it is really close to closing you can tie it off to the cargo net loop.

Combination comes in handy for a multitude of other uses like solo drysuit zipper closing ( always across the back of the shoulders )

dog leash

etc

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tried the ring in the hatch latch, works great.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
MOpar said:
Tried the ring in the hatch latch, works great.
I haved used this "trick" many, many times over the years. Glad it worked well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts