Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just doesn't seem right to me...

My wife took her MO in to get the plates. She put them on and said to tell me "that's how they go on"..

They stick out about 3/8" or more, and the plate is totally loose on it! A pic is attached.

Is this right? Are they the right screws for the rear? And what are those blue pieces of tape above the plate for?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
This is not right. The screws (or bolts) should go in all the way and tighten up. These are probably the wrong ones or have been cross threaded. Just get a new set from the dealer, or a couple of "machined" 10 mm from hardware store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the screws out to look.. the threads look cross threaded on the inside, not on the screw. I can tell because if I look in the hole there is bare metal on the threads (I assume it should be pained a little bit from overspray) and it looks a little ragged. The screws maybe go in about 3-4 turns at best.

Also, I don't think that blue tape should be there either...

If anyone can confirm this, that would be great.. type of screws/bolts that should be there, if there's actually paint on the inside of the threads where the bolts go in, and if they have the blue tape... that would be awesome.

either way I'm taking it in on monday to get fixed. Since the saleslady made a point to tell her to tell me "that's the furthest they go in" I know she knew something was wrong.. which pisses me off since we just bought a titan and a mo from them.

How far the "fix" should go is yet to be decided... for example, because they are stripped theyd most likely need to be re-tapped... and could be a spot where it would start rusting without paint? (I know, a little far fetched, but we spent 70k with them this year).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think it would look more normal if you had a license plate frame. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I replaced my screws with anti-theft ones, but I still have the originals and they don't look like yours. Blue tape shouldn't be there. I have two pieces of gray stick-on rubber behind my plate (it came that way). I suppose this is so the frame will not scratch that area. No overspray in the holes.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I had the blue tape. I removed it. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I used some custom screws for mine. They came from a Siemans mainframe highspeed laser printer. They are yellow zinc plated allen screws. They were a little too long so I did the old thread a nut on first--then saw--trick. Worked perfectly. I broke down and got one of those stainless Murano tag frames from ebay for $6.89, looks fab on a sheer silver Mo. I think it would be oh soooo nice on a super black.
It looks almost factory. From even a short distance it looks like the tag well is chromed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eric L. said:
I think it would look more normal if you had a license plate frame. :)
I wish we could, but if it covers ANYTHING on the plate, it's illegal here in MN. Even clear covers are illegal.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
AH ! Isn't it wonderful to have government telling us what to do. I don't how we could ever manage to live without the wonderful brilliant minds of the intelligentsia That protect us. GRIP :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
CopperKat said:
I replaced my screws with anti-theft ones
do you have a picture or description of what you mean? plates are being stolen in my area lately. my friend had hers taken. i think i would like some of these.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yes, and mine even are metric hex. Not many peeps runnin round metric keys.
I have a ton of yellow zinc plated torx screws with spring washers but they are inch pattern, I used those on older american cars/trucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the dealer this morning. my salesperson wasn't there, but the finacnce guy helped me out. Put some nice SS screws in... much better. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts