Nissan Murano Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
My Mo is only 4 months old with barely 3,500 km (about 2,000 miles) on it...When it's near 0°F, it seems like the left strut makes a loud creaking noise whether I open the lift gate manually or electrically; unless it's the power actuated arm which is very near? It sounds like the lift gate is rubbing against the roof which is not the case. No noise when it's warmer...

I could always take it to the dealer on a cold day after leaving it outside for a few hours as I have a heated garage. We are entering a very cold period this afternoon which will last for a few days...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Freedom, I'd do exactly that. I'd pull up to the dealer, leave it there about 8PM, get a ride home and show up the next day and insist a service adviser AND a tech come to the car for a listen as you open it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My 2014 new like car does not sound like a 30 year old clunker anymore (lol)! I decided to oil the hinges and the struts connecting ball joints and I also sprayed some silicone on the rods, bingo! I parked outside for about 7 hours with the temp dropping as forecasted and even below 0°F there was no noise at all. Not sure which part was the culprit but there must have been a dry metal to metal contact somewhere. The ball joints seemed to have some grease but not sure if there was some on the inside; not a big deal and I can always remove the clip on one side and add some grease while supporting the lift gate with a piece of wood.

Never had that on any previous car, SUV, wagon; of course they all had problems lifting the tail gate when cold unless I push upward with my hand. Same with the Mo. I've seen on Motorweek years ago that a certain company which name's escapes me makes struts that are not affected by cold temperature. Laws of physics play a big role here as gas pressurised struts will lose their efficiency when cold due to the lower internal pressure. I suspect added friction doesn't help either.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My fix didn't last long. Gotta go to the dealer on another cold day and show them. We have yoyo weather here...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yesterday, I went to the dealer after leaving the car outside all day and the tech confirmed that the two struts have to be replaced which will be done Thursday. The right one was making noise too. He said a metal part was coming off the strut; looks to me like a manufacturing defect from the strut supplier...We even checked with a piece of paper to make sure the hatch was not rubbing on other body panels like the roof rear edge as it really sounded like two body panels rubbing against each other!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Good show Freedom, it paid off to leave it outside.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My dealer replaced both struts last Friday but the creaking noise was still there yesterday and it was a few degrees above 0°F...Looks to me like it's coming from the motor arm/linkage or else all these struts are noisy when it's around 0°F! I have to wait for a slighly colder day to take it back to the dealer as yesterday it was not cold enough. When it's very cold, the creaking noise can be heard as soon as the hatch starts to close until it's fully closed or when opening it. When it's slightly warmer, it creaks only when almost closed...Not easy to diagnose!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Today was below zero and I first removed the cover on the hatch then the two bolts that hold the arm and I pushed it back. After leaving the vehicle outside for several hours, the creaking noise was back, so it's the struts! I could not take it to my dealer as they close early on Friday. Bad strut design...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Took my Mo back to the dealer as it was below 0F and we agreed it was useless to replace the struts again;we'll see if Nissan comes with new p/n to solve this issue. Snow belt owners, do you have that problem? Minnesota is just as cold if not colder than province of Quebec! The screeching sound is worse just after backing up in my heated garage and immediately raising the hatch, then after a couple of cycles, it goes away...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Took my Mo back to the dealer as it was below 0F and we agreed it was useless to replace the struts again;we'll see if Nissan comes with new p/n to solve this issue. Snow belt owners, do you have that problem? Minnesota is just as cold if not colder than province of Quebec! The screeching sound is worse just after backing up in my heated garage and immediately raising the hatch, then after a couple of cycles, it goes away...
Freedom, I started noticing the creaking sounds on my 2012 in the second winter and the sounds are still there now in the third winter. I have thought about greasing the hinges/struts but been lazy about it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you spray silicone on the struts, it will last for only a couple of cycles; the internal seal wipes off the lubricant and you're back to square one...

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you spray silicone on the struts, it will last for only a couple of cycles; the internal seal wipes off the lubricant and you're back to square one...
Yup, Freedom is absolutely correct. I experienced the dreaded squeaking from my engine hood. Tried the silicone spray on the struts, seems to eliminate the squeak only temporarily. Then I sprayed the hinges....bingo no more squeaks. I'm guessing the lube application on the struts facilitates easier and faster lift action by the struts, thus less friction stress on the hinges. But once the silicone lube is wiped, the original squeak is back. Almost a year has gone by and the squeak has never returned. I did as extra measure, wipe off the strut piston arm after I had lubed it, so to deter dirt build up.
On a second note, OEM strut replacement is often pricey, and have found McMaster Carr a good source for certain applications.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My hood struts are fine even at below 0°F, I tried them yesterday! We've been under this cold spell for a while so it was perfect for testing...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I replaced both mine from a pair I bought on Ebay back in 2013. The seller has sold many of them. Total cost was $38.37 delivered. Part # was 612163 Liftgate Struts are very easy to replace... Ebay seller has videos of a gal doing the installs. :) I'm 2 years post install and my gate still lifts to the top fully under it's own power. Not sure what the ebay user name was, but his invoice reads Parts Avenue. phone 631-750-194one

Lastly, replace one at a time... Many who take both off, forget which end goes up and install them upside down. Don't ask me how I know this... :)

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
I replaced both mine from a pair I bought on Ebay back in 2013. The seller has sold many of them. Total cost was $38.37 delivered. Part # was 612163 Liftgate Struts are very easy to replace... Ebay seller has videos of a gal doing the installs. :) I'm 2 years post install and my gate still lifts to the top fully under it's own power. Not sure what the ebay user name was, but his invoice reads Parts Avenue. phone 631-750-194one

Lastly, replace one at a time... Many who take both off, forget which end goes up and install them upside down. Don't ask me how I know this... :)
I also buy replacements on Ebay - the price is right.

And when you change them, have a broom handy to hold the hatch up when you remove a strut. Don't ask me how I know that, either...

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
Yes, and learning that with the top of ones' head after removing one strut is an inconvenient way to find out just HOW heavy.

I'm just sayin'.....

·
Registered
7 Posts

_______

Thanks. Looks like those are made by Tuff Support and still available for $38/pair with free shipping (and a lifetime warranty??) through Ebay / Parts Avenue. I plan to give them a try.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks guys! All hatches are heavy including the Mo, mainly due to the glass; even if the Mo's hatch is made of polymer, it's still heavy and quite large. $38 is not much to pay if that solves my problem...I'll think about it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a pair I'll sell for $25 shipped anywhere in the US. They're the ones from PartsAvenue on ebay and their thing says they fit 05-07 models. Brand new, never even opened the box.

I ordered them and ended up trading the Murano before they came in. I'll be shipping them back but since it was my mistake I'm paying shipping there and won't be getting the shipping refunded so I might as well offer them up here. Consider these gone after 3/5 because I'm just going to do the return.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts