Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 SL AWD. When I go over any type of bumps, I hear and feel the most awful banging noise coming from the rear area. I can't figure out what might be causing it. It's loud and very annoying. I've checked everything in the back, from the rear seats to the rear cargo area and nothing is loose. Everything is tight in the spare tire area too. If anyone else has experienced this and knows what it might be, please let me know. I would appreciate all your help. Thank you!

·
5,244 Posts
If I am not mistaken there was a TSB on that one. Try to do search on the forum.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wtpd150-

Frozen or defective rear shock?

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Check www.nissanhelp.com for TSBs.

On older Muranos, this was corrected by inverting the upper rear shock mounts I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I am taking my Murano to the Dealer's Service Department and I will let them know about the possibilities. If anyone else has experienced this, please continue to reply. Thank you again for all your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the information and the links you supplied. I took my Murano to the Service Dept today and they were aware of the brake line possibility. They said it was loose and tightened it. We then test drove it and the noise is still there. The best way to describe the noise is that it sounds like a bomb going off in the far distance along with a shimming sound. It is more evident going over a larger bump. Then we test drove a new 2006 from their inventory and sure enough, it was on that one too. But not as evident. I don't know what can be done. I guess I expected it to be a lot more quiet for the amount of money I spent. Maybe it's a design flaw and they are all that way. I was told to keep an eye on it and when I come back for my service I can test drive another Murano again.
Thank you all again for your help and support. Please keep me posted if anyone else experiences this or has any other suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear the noise no matter what bump I go over. It could be a small one or a big one. Could be a pot hole or uneven road surface. It doesn't matter what kind of bump. The only difference is, it is much more noticeable going over larger ones.
When I test drove my Murano with the Service Technician, he heard it as well. The one from their inventory did it too. But not as noticeable. There has been times that is sounds like the whole vehicle is going to fall apart. It's that obvious!
Maybe I'm just use to quiet cars. This is my first Murano. I love it, but it certainly is not a smooth or quiet ride.
Again, thank you for the input. Please continue to reply.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Well I can honestly say both my 03 and 06 have been both quiet and smooth rides. I checked with a guy at work that has an 05 SL and he doesn't hear anything either. Kind of amazing both yours and the other one off the lot both did the same thing. I have both rear compartments stuffed with tools, emergency kit, tow rope, fire extinguisher and other things. I even have stuff in the tray. I do wrap the items in a layer of tool tray foam. But I'm at a loss. You sure its not the jack or tow hook or speaker or something?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
wtpd150 said:
I hear the noise no matter what bump I go over. It could be a small one or a big one. Could be a pot hole or uneven road surface. It doesn't matter what kind of bump. The only difference is, it is much more noticeable going over larger ones.
wtpd150-

That is very odd.

I have not experienced any unusual noises when going over bumps, from either my MO or the rental MO . Both are 2005 models.

Did you experience the noise from day one?

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Outside of a missing or loose bolt somewhere, one other thought came to mind. It's a fairly common occurence for suspension components to get damaged during transport. Most of what I hear is due to the car carriers not securing the vehicles properly. Either they attach to the wrong points or they don't tighten the chains properly. That could be a common thread between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I have experienced the noise from day one. Also, everything in the back where the jack is, spare tire, speaker, etc., is tight. The Service Tech checked everything. Maybe the only other possibility is the suspension. Next time I go in for service, they are going to bring out another Murano for me to drive and see if the noise is in that one. I will have them check out the suspension more closer next time too. Thank you again for all your help! I do really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Enforcer makes a good point. The two common factors between the two Muranos you tested are the dealer, and perhaps the transport sytem they use. I have seen several posts regarding bad rear shocks on Muranos. That could be a possibilty. Another possibility would be for the dealer to have forgotten to do something during pre-sale prep work on the muranos, e.g., forgot to remove packing material!?

If I were you, I would remove EVERYTHING from the trunk area, and also check for the sub to be bolted down tightly and do another test drive.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:
Enforcer makes a good point. The two common factors between the two Muranos you tested are the dealer, and perhaps the transport sytem they use. I have seen several posts regarding bad rear shocks on Muranos. That could be a possibilty. Another possibility would be for the dealer to have forgotten to do something during pre-sale prep work on the muranos, e.g., forgot to remove packing material!?

If I were you, I would remove EVERYTHING from the trunk area, and also check for the sub to be bolted down tightly and do another test drive.
Thats a good point - it could be something as simple as a loose spare tire or scissor jack.

·
5,244 Posts
wtpd150 already mentioned that "everything was tight" at the back.....dealer mechanic checked it out......

maybe you shoul dtake everything out - jack, spare etc. and try to drive. It would at least eliminate these possibilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the advice. I will try removing everything from the back and see if the noise is still there. I will also have the Service Dept inspect the suspension more closely. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully we'll find something and the problem will be corrected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are you sure this is not the parking brake? I finally had the dealer fix it after 3 attempts. I know this is a problem for the 03/04 models. I bought my 03 SL pre-owned am assuming the original owner just never had it fixed... Did you try going over a bump with the parking brake pushed in slightly (one click) to see if it still rattles? If the sound goes away doing this, its the parking brake. There is a tsb about it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I took my Murano in to the dealership, they mentioned the possibility of it being the parking brake and they did tighten it. They thought this was the problem until we test drove it again and the noise is still there. The best way to hear it is with the windows up, radio off, A/C-Heater off and go over a bump. The bigger the bump the louder it can be heard. I will try your suggestion about applying the parking brake one click and see if it stops. Thank you for your response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts