Nissan Murano Forum banner

Rear of car jumping when going over a sharp bumps

14K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Muranomechanic 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 Murano AWD SL that jumps around when going over 'sharp' bumps. My first thought was a bad shock absorber, but I don't see any damage and the car settles quickly after being disturbed when driving or pushing down or bouncing the car. From what I can tell my bushings and suspension components look fine.
When driving, it feels like the back tires don't maintain good traction on the road for a split second and there is a big initial jolt, but it doesn't keep bouncing as I would think would happen with a bad shock absorber.

Are there any thoughts on things to look at?

#2 ·
Over the past few years, there have been a variety of reports which vaguely relate to this kind of problem in various years.

Best guess is to check all rear suspension components, including bushings. You may need shocks even if they are not leaking. They often don't leak when worn. Rear shocks aer very fast and easy to replace. I wrote a thread on shock replacement on an 07.

Also, make sure tires are neither too low in pressure, nor very high.

#3 ·
As Pilgrim said, shocks could be worn--you never indicated the mileage of your vehicle. Bushings/balljoints etc. can look o.k. with a visual inspection, but you really need to go in there with a pry bar and try to "move" things. Even with a pry bar, suspension components should feel tight since they have to support your 2-ton vehicle driving over rough roads and "sharp" bumps.

#7 ·
Time to replace shocks all around. I'll bet work shocks are the cause. KYB shocks were a very good replacement on my 07.

#13 ·
I believe I have found the cause of this!

It appears the upper control arm bushings are bad, its hard to make that assessment when the vehicle is off the ground.

To conform this I used the technique to check ball joints and i propped my phone in a manner to record movement in the bushing area as I lifted the tire up from the bottom with a large bar.

It also appears the bushings in the lower control arms maybe worn as well. I plan to change the uppers first prior to purchasing the lower.

I will report back with my findings.

Just as a note my 2010 M has 325km on the clock, these maybe the originals still on the vehicle.

Cheers,

#15 ·
Shocks and or stabilizers. For me my fronts went first a year ago on my 2009, so I had the shocks and stabilizers replaced, then my rears went, the shop I took it said the only rear the shocks were needed but I kept having problems, only when I told them to replace the rear stabilizers did the problem go away.

Thanks,

#16 ·
My 2010's back end would jump to the right when I would go over bumps. putting on new tires, alignment and new shocks did not remove the back end issues. Two weeks ago I replaced the rear trailing arm on the right rear. The part was $21 through ROCKAUTO (MOOG RK642893) and took an hour to replace. It is a simple job. This made a huge impact on the back end control. Tomorrow I am replacing the left one. I would suggest any one with these issues to replace theirs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.