Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not feel any air coming out of the rear passenger vents, which are located on the pillar in between the front and rear door. Is there a way to get those blowing? I've tried every mode of air circulation at the highest fan speed, but still no air flow.

I haven't had a chance to look at the manual. Does anyone know??? Is there a cut-off switch somewhere? :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
mozman said:
I do not feel any air coming out of the rear passenger vents, which are located on the pillar in between the front and rear door. Is there a way to get those blowing? I've tried every mode of air circulation at the highest fan speed, but still no air flow.

I haven't had a chance to look at the manual. Does anyone know??? Is there a cut-off switch somewhere? :confused:
Flip the rear vents to the "middle" position to make sure they are not closed.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
They work on my MO whenever there is air blowing from the dash vents. I assume they are on the same "circuit" as the dash vents.

The flow of air, however, is almost non-existent. You could try closing the outboard dash vents to see if you are getting air-flow from the rear vents.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
WRONG! They work fine when you set the mode to either "Floor"(Arrow down), or Floor and Dash vents (two arrows, horizontal, and down). The back air will NOT work when the mode is set to dash vents only.

NOTE: This is true on my 2003. I really don't know if it was changed it '04/'05.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
On my 2003, the rear side vents flow when the front dash vents flow. The rear floor vents flow only when bilevel or floor is selected.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ekaxel said:
WRONG! They work fine when you set the mode to either "Floor"(Arrow down), or Floor and Dash vents (two arrows, horizontal, and down). The back air will NOT work when the mode is set to dash vents only.

NOTE: This is true on my 2003. I really don't know if it was changed it '04/'05.
Actually, my explanation is CORRECT.

According to the schematic on page ATC-33 of the Murano Service Manual (2005) the rear pillar-mounted vents are, in fact, connected to to same circuit as the 4 dash-mounted vents.

If airflow is directed to the dash vents then it should also be exiting from the rear pillar vents.

-njjoe

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
mozman-

I tried to include the page from the service manual in my reply but for some reason it was not attached.

If you have ADOBE I can email it to you.

-njjoe

·
Registered
369 Posts
Same as Eric L. on my 2003; side vents flow when dash vents on.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
ekaxel said:

So whazup with yours?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:

So whazup with yours?
I don't think there is anything wrong with his car. I think he ek was referring to the floor vents not the side pillar vents.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I was referrring to the side pillar vents. Actually, I never even looked at the floor vents.
I have never gotten air out of the pillar vents with the mode set to dash vents only.

"The flow of air, however, is almost non-existent.

It probably is on mine too.

Mozman. Try it the way I suggested and see if it works better.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Here's the diagram from my 2003 service manual. The relevant information is that the "ventilator door" directs air flow to the rear pillar vents only when the climate control is set for "vent" or "bilevel."

Attachments

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Eric L.-

I know this is a bit off-topic but how were you able to include the Service Manual page in your post? I tried to include that very same page in my post but couldn't get it to work.

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
njjoe said:
Eric L.-

I know this is a bit off-topic but how were you able to include the Service Manual page in your post? I tried to include that very same page in my post but couldn't get it to work.

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe
I made a jpeg out of it and attached it. I use photoshop to reduce the file size below 100k.

·
5,244 Posts
njjoe said:
Eric L.-

Thanx in advance.

-njjoe
You can use any program that can capture screen and then convert it to jpg as Eric suggested. If you search webb there should be evern some freeware that can do it....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried the vent settings again last night. I have to say that the air fair from the rear pillar vents are really poor. I had the fan settings at max just to feel a light breeze come out of there. Anything from mid speed down and I didn't feel air flow.

It seems Nissan poorly designed the ventilation system. I assume that if my '05 model is like this the '03 and '04's are the same.

Maybe I'll tie strands of string to the rear vents to really view the air flow out of there and test the flow when closing the 2 front vents.... weekend project! :D

·
4,601 Posts
The flow will never be as good as up front, considering the distance it has to travel. However I do know mine work as my daughter, who's too young to travel up front, will mention when she wants it on. She can certainly tell when the floor and side vents are working.

Other topic, capturing in Adobe Acrobat (or Reader) is pretty easy. There's a tool to highlight the part you want, then you just paste it into another program, even paintbrush.

The interesting thing is you can really zoom in on a section if you like.

Yes, this illustration really is in the manual..

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can see why the air flow would be so poor, as the air has to travel all the way up the side pillars. I guess I'm spoiled by the Lexus RX300, which also has rear vent, but located on the back of the center armrest (between the front seats). The airflow from there is great.... maybe nissan have installed a second fan to assist flow to the rear vents.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Well they were going to put it in the center storage area but then they realized that the "auto open cup holders" would be in the way. They spent so much time on the vents they forgot to redesign the rear cup holders.

I still have yet to come up with a fix to prevent them from opening when kicked.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts