Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum and found nothing similar to our problem. Basically when driving over any bumps or rough surface, it sounds like all hell is breaking loose back there. We've checked the storage areas and everything seems pretty secure. Back hatch seems tight. Don't hear it much if at all on the freeway, due to smoother road I'm guessing. Didn't find any TSB's. Any ideas? This is really annoying!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would suggest to remove everything from the rear (spare tire, woofer etc) and have someone ride in the rear (when its safe) and see if they can pin point it. I hate rattles and will do anything to find them. Even if I can't fix it just knowing what is causing it causes some relief. :4:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh man, gonzo. if i don't say it, someone else will. you must spend most of your waking hours in the murano, looking for rattles!:D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I must have a 'Wednesday' built MO 'cos my experience with rattles is absolutley nil!!

As for the rear of the vehicle I did suspect that the jack resting on the tire iron might be cause for some noise, so I put a folded cloth between the two, just in case. Like most I am paranoid about rattles but the MO has to be the best vehicle I have owned from that perspective. The worst was an '85 Supra.

That being said I do have a creak! But I know exactly where it is - the top outermost weather seal on the drivers door creaks a little as it flexs against the door frame, which reminds me I meant to put a little silicon spray on the rubber to try to fix this issue.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Rattles

I to do not have any problems with rattles creaks and groans. Maybe I to am a mid week build, if we believe in it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The strange thing is this is a new rattle. We've had this car since last November, but this just started recently. I'm going to sit back there today and see if we can narrow it down.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
sebrex13 said:
oh man, gonzo. if i don't say it, someone else will. you must spend most of your waking hours in the murano, looking for rattles!:D
No I guess I'm lucky with mine because I have not had any thus far. I did have some early on that went away. I guess just growing pains. :4:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had the most aggrivating rattle for a week. It was loud and sounded very solid.. It was making me crazy. Finally, I had a friend drive while I investigated the rear sections of the car....

I felt so dumb when I realized it was the seatbelt buckle on the side panel........ But thank god it is gone now! Yay!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it sounds like it is coming from the left rear, it might be a slack parking brake cable. To test, LIGHTLY apply the parking brake while driving slowly over a rough surface. If the rattle stops while the parking brake is LIGHTLY applied, the cable may be too slack. That was the cause of my Mo's only rattle so far. There is a thread re this including a TSB somewhere on the forum but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Got the OEM dog guard whatever they call it and it can really drive you crazy if not tweaked a little. I had a "gling gling" sound coming from it but I had to hunt the damn thing for a while. Finally removed the top screws and inserted a piece of foam between the vertical pillars and the grill itself. It fixed the problem. I wonder what kind of lazy or stupid engineer would not foresee that 2 pieces of metal screwed together this way would rattle. And by the way, it would have been so easy to install a quick release feature on this dog guard in order to make it retractable in order to make it possible to use the full cargo area. I will modify mine myself but these guys were probably sleeping or playing with their dicks in the bathroom while they were giving the ergonomics 101...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We tried the parking brake test earlier and it didn't really do much. This sounds more like it's coming from a large area, like the whole darn door or floor might fall off. Don't know if this is related, but yesterday we clicked the unlock twice to open the hatch, and the handle on the hatch felt like it was sprung. Finally locked it again and unlocked, then it worked. Could it be something INSIDE the hatch?

Funny - just saw the little brochure we got at the auto show. The cover says " Bliss: no worries, no concerns". HA! :21:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rattles

This topic has been covered on this forum dozens of times./ There is a TSB for this. The dealers needs to use "chasis ears" to find the problem and rectify. It has something to do with the rear suspension. It took 2 visits to my dealer to get it right. This is nothing new in the MO>

Needless to say, my MO is dead quiet now!!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pat:

I searched for the TSB on the suspension and could only find the one for the parking brake. We tried that and didn't fix it. Can you link to the specific TSB? That would be helpful; we're due at the dealer in about 100 miles.

Chris

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
mattsmurano said:
I had the most aggrivating rattle for a week. It was loud and sounded very solid.. It was making me crazy. Finally, I had a friend drive while I investigated the rear sections of the car....

I felt so dumb when I realized it was the seatbelt buckle on the side panel........ But thank god it is gone now! Yay!
Same thing here... except I was able to discover it without a second person. (Don't ask how). I hope all future rattles are that easy to fix!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link. I did see that one but our car has an 4/03 build date, so I figured it wouldn't cover it. I will mention it to the dealer just in case.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a rattle too and managed to find the source. If you drop the rear seats down and lift the flap, there are several bolts that attach the rear cargo cover to the frame. Underneth those are a few bolts that attach a metal cross bar to the frame and for me, I was able to turn one of them about a 1/4 of a turn which solved my problem.

I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and post them to make it a little clearer where they are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here are some shots of where I found my squeaks.

The first picture has two bolts that attach the rear panel support to the frame. You will have to reach underneth and feel for the first bolt but the second is in plain view. I was able to adjust both using a socket with an extention. Unfortunately there isn't alot of play for moving the socket around so you have to take a few swings at it. For me, the first bolt was the one which was loose by 1/4 of a turn.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The second location I found which could cause a squeak is also located in the same spot only farther down into the seat. There is a small plastic cover that pops off to expose the seat release cable which ties to the back of the vehicle. (shown in the picture below)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts