Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear-seat cup-holders...

I hate the cup-holders, especially rear-passenger access. Ideally, I would like to bore two cylindrical holes into the rear center armrest, re-upholster them and add a stretchy-mesh bottom...but that would be quite a major undertaking.

Anyone have any ideas, or other car's accessories/brands that will fit somehow, or a link to after-market sources?

I've also tried to modify several Pep-Boys-type of cupholders, but to no avail.

I have a 7 year-old who can't quite reach waaaaay down to get a cup from the puny stupid holders that are placed behind/below the center console.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. :2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got something similar at Wal-Mart - it was all of $4. It hooks on the front headrest and has two cup holders and a fold-down tray - it works perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies...BUT...3 problems with that unit you both recommended:

1.) I already tried a seatback-hanger type of unit, which has a holder that's great for bottled water but too flimsy for cups which need to be accessed in-and-out continually while drinking. You see, since this not-exactly-a-morning-person boy doesn't eat breakfast, I buy him a Jamba-juice breakfast smoothie each morning before carpool to school, it's a 14 oz drink in a big Starbucks-like paper cup with a domed plastic cap for straw hole. But, although I tape it on tightly, the cap still loosens & comes off easily --- especially since he needs to grasp it in a stretch mesh holder and pull it out.

2.) He is on a travel hockey team with long car-rides on the weekends, so I need that seatback space for a car DVD player I got, which hangs there.

3.) I guess I really need something for the center armrest area, my best bet to maybe slip a big cupholder unit over it and secure it with bungee cord or something...or know of anything ready-made?

Thanks again, though. I'm having you put on your thinking caps!

:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seeing as just about the only time I'm in my MO, I'm in the front seat driving, I have a question about the rear seat cup holders. While cleaning out the rear seat last night, I noticed the right side cup holder looks bigger than the left side. Is this by design, or have I had a passenger snag it on their way in or out of the back seat (not hard to imagine with an 11 yr old boy and his friends.). It opens and closes ok...it just looks odd and I never noticed the difference before. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought mine this year (2003) but the back seat had never even been used. WELL, I gave a couple of my frineds a ride home one night and I had left it out. They broke off both cup holder arms and even put the broken pieces in thier pocket so I didn't even know they were broke until recently :( SO, I researched ALOT and it is too much of a pain and cost to replace (and get broke off again) in my opinion. I went through all of the ebay 2003 murano's that were selling used parts from a totaled out murano and I found one for $50 plus shipping (no thanks). Well, a light bulb went off in my head. I went to the local auto parts store and asked if I could take the grip (at the bottom type) cupholder out to my car to see if it works. Well Thank God it does and $5.89 later I have an adjustable cup holder in the rear again. I just replaced one for now because I barely use it back there, but it can fit two. :)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HOP9/RETROCHA.oap?ck=Search_N0320_HOP_-1_-1&mn=Hopkins+Manufacturing&mc=HOP&pt=N0320&ppt=C0092
Hopkins brand retro cup holder works.... Good Luck and save your money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts