Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was coming back home, on the I95 near Daytona, Van while passing me on the middle lane, an object from the van flew off to my 2017 Murano thus causing extensive damage to tires, driver fender and bumper. Left rear tire, thread was stripped of and rear right tire was flattened.
Was able to drive with spare cause the rear left tire, although the thread was off, tire was not flatted. So 4 summer tires were installed cause the front left was damaged and these were snow tires. While driving I noticed when I hit a bump, the back moves side ways and I do notice suspension is softer and something wrong with it.

I claimed the incident to the Car insurance and told them about it, so they will verify when car gets fixed. What can would be wrong with the rear suspendion. Car has only 30K kilometer.

Also, while the guy installed new tires, he told me that the rear pads need to be replace before the rotors get grooved.

Normally front Pads get replaced faster then rear, at 30k km is it normal the pads need replacement in the rear. tia

·
Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
183 Posts
Regarding the softer suspension, are you sure you are being objective, if so then you may have a damaged shock absorber(s).
Re moving sideways when going overs a bump, my car did the same, would feel like the back end was jumping to the left, and weaving, when going over a bump.
It was the back left wheel suspension being greatly misaligned (and more re the rest of the cars alignment), gone after a wheel align.
Cheers

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the softer suspension, are you sure you are being objective, if so then you may have a damaged shock absorber(s).
Re moving sideways when going overs a bump, my car did the same, would feel like the back end was jumping to the left, and weaving, when going over a bump.
It was the back left wheel suspension being greatly misaligned (and more re the rest of the cars alignment), gone after a wheel align.
Cheers
Once they get all the parts, they should do a wheel alignment front and back, and then see if problem persists, I would like that they change the shock absorber. Peace of mind.

It feels like pulling a trailer and trailer bouncing left and right. Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
Oct 2010 Ti Australian Model (Manufactured Japan)
183 Posts
pulling a trailer and trailer bouncing left and right
like mine, hit bump or pothole, jump to the left, the the car corrects itself by weaving (going right, left, right, left...)
decreasingly until the car is driving straight again.
On my car it was the alignment.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Amazing what mis alignment can do, give you the impression the shocks are finished. Getting my rear break pads today. Ceramin $40. can

·
Registered
289 Posts
Brake (not break) wear is not just determined by distance but also on usage. What I mean is that if you use your brakes a lot and are aggressive when using them then 30k km is not unreasonable for a need of replacement. As a suggestion you should ask the person working on your vehicle to show you worn out or damaged parts before you ok any replacements. Don't let them say you can't go into the shop because of insurance. That's not true. By the way wheel alignment determines how the vehicle travels relative to a straight line. Shock absorbers do not affect alignment as such. They help to absorb up and down movement. Totally unrelated.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
Muranos typically wear out the rear brake pads first.

I AGREE that this seems crazy, but it's the way the braking system (not breaking system) is designed. Mileage is immaterial, you must use yours more than some others do.

It's normal. Expect it to happen again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I plan to change the breaks myself, when they installed new tires, I noticed the pads were getting to the limit and also checked the rotors incase they had groves, but no groves.
Got my pads today, plan to change them Monday.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did change the rear breaks, and noticed the pads had a good 50% left, the guy who installed the tires needed glasses, but that one worry behind me.

While at it, I took the tire pressure, and front were 47psi, left rear 35 and right rear was 42, brought all the 35psi. Maybe that's why the car was bouncing, but nevertheless, they will do an alignment.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lots of shops and techs try to upsell or recommend services that aren't needed. That's how they make their money. They always try to do that to my wife or daughters when they are alone. When I go in and talk to the advisor in person or on the phone they totally back off when I ask them technical questions.
I always check tire pressures and wheel torque myself after any tire, brake or suspension work.
My wife had winter tires changed over yesterday. when I checked tire pressures they were all at 36#. They are supposed to be 30# rear and 32# front.
The wheels were so tight I had to use a 2 foot, 3/4 inch pry bar to loosen all nuts to re-torque properly. Obviously "tech" used an air gun set on max.
I felt compelled to call shop manager. He said he would retrain/remind staff. Maybe/maybe not?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what happens when you have confidence on the guy, but my day was so shot, I shot wanted to continue and get back home, mind you my Murano was fully loaded, so maybe I didn.t notice that. But now it is empty, I did notice the bouncing.
A neighbor who had an autoparts store, checked the suspension and said it was ok, he believe more the wheel alignment and over pressure of tires.
I have to go out and will see how it acts.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
You will feel bumps, that's nor a problem. Are the tires set at factory spec?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They were over inflated 47 front 35 and 42 but I put them to 35.
Also while coasting to Daytona a warning light came about for 1 min. that the differential was overheating, I slow down and warning light went off.
Is there a heat sensor on the rear differential or axle.

·
Administrator
9,763 Posts
That sounds good. I'm sure you feel the bumps less harshly with lower tire pressures.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today, my car insurance sent me the amount I paid for (5 tires, towing and motel) $1500 US
The damages on the car are about in the $8,xxx can. I find that over exagerated from the dealer, the car ins said it would approve the estimate.
I would say total would be in $10, xxx. can

I was thinking to trade it for something else, such as Plug in Hybrid or electric, but now I got 2 sets of summer tire, that means I am good for 8-9 years re: tires. In 5 years I have around 30K km, cause I use the sports car in summer. Plus I do an avg of 8k km a year.

I had thought of going with the sports car in Florida(5 months) but looks like the Murano will be the choice. Mind you I can change my mind LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, latest report on the Murano, the Alignment was Ok, and after insisting that there was something wrong with the car, they noticed the back passanger shock was leaking and now they have to replace it.
But at end of August, I will take possession of a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Luxury non plug in. I was offered 30K can tax incl.. for my Murano only 35K km.
I was luck some one had cancelled, so I was there at the right time and got my color also.

The 2023 is the same, but then they have to re-evaluate your car and I don't like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts