Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I was replacing the pins holding these in every few months. I didn’t hear anything when the pins failed as others have reported. Just would see them hanging crooked. So I wanted to figure out a more permanent solution. After a couple failed attempts I decided to try toggle bolts. I used a step-bit to enlarge the hole so the toggle portion would fit through. I then placed a washer on the bolt and fed it through the flap, threaded the toggle onto it, and then fed the toggle through the hole. Tightened it up until firm. I did this about 6 weeks ago and still holding strong. In hindsight I should have probably sourced some stainless steel toggle bolts and maybe put some blue locktite on them. If these ever corrode through or loosen up that’s the route I’ll take. Just wanted to pass along a possible solution in case you’re having to deal with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,047 Posts
Clever! I second the idea of stainless as a good option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I feel like Nissan designed the clips to break off on purpose. If they used two metal bolts to hold them on then there is a greater chance of the "Mud flap" snapping off entirely. The last time ours was hanging loose was after we had driven in the snow. I assume I drove over a snow patch and it caused it to snap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like I was replacing the pins holding these in every few months. I didn’t hear anything when the pins failed as others have reported. Just would see them hanging crooked. So I wanted to figure out a more permanent solution. After a couple failed attempts I decided to try toggle bolts. I used a step-bit to enlarge the hole so the toggle portion would fit through. I then placed a washer on the bolt and fed it through the flap, threaded the toggle onto it, and then fed the toggle through the hole. Tightened it up until firm. I did this about 6 weeks ago and still holding strong. In hindsight I should have probably sourced some stainless steel toggle bolts and maybe put some blue locktite on them. If these ever corrode through or loosen up that’s the route I’ll take. Just wanted to pass along a possible solution in case you’re having to deal with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have identical problem with 2016 Murano, and your solution just solved it. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts