Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share this with you. I wasn't sure if my auto-dimming rear view mirror was working... I was turning it on and then off and didn't see much of a difference under varying rear lighting conditions. The end result was that last night I got pulled over for speeding here in MASS. I was driving 80 MPH on the MASS Turn Pike. (Late at night light, like 12:30 AM, light traffic, dry roads.) The MO just loves 80... engine is still below 2000 RPM... very nice. At any rate I'm happy to report that my rear view mirror auto dimming is working just fine as I could test it with the police's car lights as he was writting me up. :D

The more interesting thing was about the fog lights. The police officier also wrote me up for driving with my fog lights on under ideal driving conitions (i.e. no rain or fog). Apparently it IS ILLEGAL to use them at night when the conditions don't support the use. Geesh I had no idea, an extra $35 to the $230 ticket.

Tough night, on top of the I got a $15 parking ticket too earlier in the day.

So keep in mind that in MA to only use the fog lights when conditions support it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Gonzo said:
The more interesting thing was about the fog lights. The police officier also wrote me up for driving with my fog lights on under ideal driving conitions (i.e. no rain or fog). Apparently it IS ILLEGAL to use them at night when the conditions don't support the use. Geesh I had no idea, an extra $35 to the $230 ticket.

Tough night, on top of the I got a $15 parking ticket too earlier in the day.

So keep in mind that in MA to only use the fog lights when conditions support it.
Gonzo,

I feel your pain. I agree that the MO cruises effortlessly at slightly higher than legal speeds. I fight every ticket I've ever received, I've mostly won.

As far as the foglight issue goes, I must agree with the law on that side. It's been one of my pet peeves forever. I think foglights should be illegal to use (unless there is rain or fog). I hate them. They are very blinding to oncoming traffic, and really provide only minimal light for the user. It seems these days that just about every vehicle is equipped with them, and most of the drivers have them turned on. It's distracting.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't thought about it. They've never bothered me even when I was driving my Pulsar which was fairly low to the ground. Well now I know so I prbably keep 'em off unless conditons warrant it. I've always felt that the more lights you have on the better chance of someone seeing you but I don't want to blind everyone.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I disagree. Properly adjusted and/or reasonable quality foglights do not blind oncoming drivers. I do agree that the police should ticket (even during the day) improperly adjusted poor quality fog lights that shine every place but on the road!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ouch!! expensive test of dimming rear view mirror...strange about ticket for fog lights....in Canada they are on at all times as they are used as the legal requirement for day time running lights....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gonzo said:
The end result was that last night I got pulled over for speeding here in MASS.
Where did you get pulled over? I live in Worcester and work in Waltham so I commu8te everyday on the Mass Pike. I know most of their hiding spots (and now that they've put up the concrete barriers in the center in a lot of spots, they have even less) so am always cautious when I approach one.

I usually keep the MO around 75 or so. I've passed many a State Trooper going that speed and they usually ignore you. But Mass State Troopers are real bastards. Fight the ticket and you're almost gauranteed he'll fight too.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks for the rear mirror update. Sorry about the ticket. I had also been wondering just how much dimmer that rearview was with that feature. It seems that my manuel old fashioned switch makes for a darker surface on my other car.
Bob1

·
Registered
161 Posts
All I can say is, thank goodness I don't live in MA anymore. They are brutal, I'll take Cali traffic jams anyday...lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Foglights are aimed down lower than regular headlights if they are correctly aimed (i.e. factory equipment will be aimed lower than your headlights). How could they be blinding? HIDs, yes. Fogs, no.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regardless of how they are aimed or what we think... apparently the MASS law says something else.... silly.

mordel, it was right around the Newton Corner exit... there was actualy two of them. One on the west bound side and one on the east bound side. I think they both hit me with the gun because the ticket states radars with the "s" circled.... they got me good! :eek:

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Well gentlemen I guess this is a good example of how mixed up the legal system is..

take Canada for instance.. (since I live there..) the fog lights are on all the time (unless head lights are turned on, then it turns them off.)
any new vehicle in Canada must have "day time running lights" and a lot of manufacturers use the fog lights. I for one like the idea, and it does make difference in noticing cars on the road..

this claim of blinding is a lod of crap. fog light (in design) are made to aim lower and wider then the head lights.. (flick them on and off, then the head lights are on and you will see..)

I'm not sure if anyone else. but I drive with my fog lights on ALL THE TIME, even at night when the head lights are on.. I find it adds more light, and the claims of "blinding" are baseless..

the "angle" of the HID lights (via the adjustment switch) would be a possbile "concern" for blindness but not the fog lights..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
darrylburke said:
this claim of blinding is a lod of crap. fog light (in design) are made to aim lower and wider then the head lights.. (flick them on and off, then the head lights are on and you will see..)

I'm not sure if anyone else. but I drive with my fog lights on ALL THE TIME, even at night when the head lights are on.. I find it adds more light, and the claims of "blinding" are baseless..

the "angle" of the HID lights (via the adjustment switch) would be a possbile "concern" for blindness but not the fog lights..

Just so I have this straight......

MY claim that many foglights blind ME is a "lod of crap" and "baseless"? Even though the Massachusetts State Police (and I would bet others) have formed the same opinion?
Darryl, although I appreciate your input, please don't refer to my OPINIONS as baseless.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I agree that some foglights can be blinding, particular misaimed ones (which tend to be the majority). The foglights on my 97 Maxima and on my Murano are actually aimed higher than would be truly useful for dense fog, so I understand how they can be blinding to oncoming drivers.

Properly aimed foglights do not blind oncoming traffic, but unfortunately they are aimed so low and have such a sharp cutoff that they are pretty much useless in clear weather....unless you like a bright spot 10 feet in front of the car.

Now if only the drivers side mirror was autodimming! I was pulled over and cited for speeding the other day as well, and had to hold my hand up to block the spotlight from the police cruiser.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can be ticketed for misaligned lights to the best of my knowledge. That's where "blinding" foglights should fall. Properly aligned foglights won't blind anyone. You shouldn't be ticketed for using foglights in clear weather.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Unfortunately, MVTCFP, I drive with my foglights on pretty much all the time too. But the good thing is that it will make it easier to spot me when we pass. Give a wave! :)

Trust me, when I drove my mustang I thought I was developing night vision problems, I was squinting all the time, so I know how important properly aligned lights are. I check mine every so often to make sure that they are aligned correctly. Also, if I am driving behind a smaller car, like my friends Mercury Capri, I will turn down the light angle manually to make sure I don't blind people.

I think it's OK to drive with them on, but I dont think its ok to have misaligned lights, regardless of what they are (driving/fog/headlights)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does anyone know of the correct measurements/formula for light alignment on the MO or any other vehicle? Dealerships and garages around here just give that blank, I've-heard-about-it-but-never-really-saw-it-before, stare. The 'Benz dealer even had the nerve to tell me they don't do that anymore! I've been using the garage door and guessing but will usually take 4-5 tries and a foggy nite to get it within a reasonable alignment. Would love to put a diagram on the garage wall and make adjustments periodically. Major pet peeve with me is misaligned headlights. Love the adjustable HIDs on the Nissan though.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the service manual has the distance and target mark for both lights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have never heard of a Violation being issued for OEM fog lights.
Those piaa or whatever yes I can see that.
In regards to that Vio. I suggest you go to Court and ask for a Condiational Dissmissal. What that means is you pay the fine and as long as you dont receive another vio in the next year you wont receive the points.
You can try that way or ask for the lessor charge of Impeading traffic, (dont ask). Same thing holds . Pay the fine and no points.
Hope that helps.
Jim
;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I read an article concerning the Xenon/HID lights in some jurisdictions/states as being illegal, regardless that they were OEM. Apparently the violation held in court. Must have been a very angry cop to have issued ticket in the first place. Anyone else hear of this story or run into the "light brigade"?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advise Jimthor..... unfortunately I've already paid it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts