Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this question anywhere so....

Why didn't they make it so you could open the rear window out or make it a power sliding rear window? I was sort of surprised.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Given the shape of the window, the opening wouldn't be very useful. The tailgate is very light and easy to open as is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A rear slider would have been nice. My wife used to have a 4runner and it was a power slider and we had it open all the time. Halo probably had it right though. The cost.:cool:

·
Registered
470 Posts
A rear slider on a curved window would be difficult and also ugly.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Different question, I was told that the rear door windows only go down so far because of a child safety law in US and that in other countries the windows go down all the way. True or not?
If true do the window tracks in US go all the way and are just blocked or shortened.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
MOpar said:
Different question, I was told that the rear door windows only go down so far because of a child safety law in US and that in other countries the windows go down all the way. True or not?
If true do the window tracks in US go all the way and are just blocked or shortened.
not sure about that... my wife drives an RX330, which is very similar in shape and size to the Mo and her rear windows roll all the way down... just one more thing for me to be jealous of!!

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
not sure about that... my wife drives an RX330, which is very similar in shape and size to the Mo and her rear windows roll all the way down... just one more thing for me to be jealous of!!
Is it standard equipment or option? I just know that RX330 rear windows roll all the way down....:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Windows in my '98 BMW M3 roll all the way down. I was surprised at that as I had not seen a car in a long time that allowed that. I too figured it was all about kid safety.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Seems like their are a number of car with rear windows that roll all the way down. The 2004 Olds Alero is one. So I imagine it has to do with glass clearance at the end near the rear wheel opening. Sometimes they put a small section at the rear of the rear window that is fixed so the the larger portion can go all the way down.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think we are getting off topic here. The original topic was the window on the rear hatch, which does not roll down like the 4Runner (which was one of the few SUVs with that feature).

I for one would not use it very much, and I would not have paid extra for a rear hatch glass which opened.

As for the windows on the rear doors, it has to do with the shape of the doors, and I heard a while back it was also related lessening the likelihood of ranbunctious children playing in the back from falling out of the window. Kind of far out there, so I'll stick to my shape of the door story.

·
4,994 Posts
YUP :D

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
I personally would not be able to find a use for the rear hatch glass going down. I assume most drivers agree seeing as this never really caught on.

I agree that the shape of the rear door is what prevents the windows from going all the way down. If it has been mandated because of fear of hyped up little children leaping out of cars left and right then I feel sad.

Natural selection serves a purpose ya know! ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't care so much for a power sliding rear window, just thought I'd mention the idea. I would like it to be able to slip open (out) and be supported by the little gas shocks. I figured it would be good for toting long objects that need to stick out the rear some (like boards, etc) without having to open the whole rear hatch.

I don't expect to use the MO like a truck, but it would have been nice is all I'm sayin.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would think it's a safety issue for rear windows that roll down due to fumes being sucked in and people falling out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There seems to be enough door on the MO for the windows to go all the way down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Typically the height that the rear windows go down to is dictated by three aspects. 1) shape of the door 2) shape of the glass 3) sweep of the glass.

When comparing the MO to and RX330 the door is of similar shape but the glass is a whole different story. The rr glass on the MO is one big piece where as the RX uses what is called a division bar and glass. The division glass is the triangular piece at the back of the door that does not move. This makes the main window rectangular and thus can fit all the way down inside the door. The rr glass on the MO is too wide to go all the way down inside the door so it stops short. This can be countermeasured by adding a twist at the end of the glass run to help it go a little further (my ES300 does this, I can't remember if the MO does) but you still end up with a little bit of window sticking out.

I do not beleive there to be any regulations or laws dictating the rr window opening size.

·
4,994 Posts
krpster You said it all and a good job it was. A search of the forum will show that what you have said is repeated throught this forum. So that's That.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts