Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible for the rear windows to roll all the way down? I've had no luck searching the forums on this. Not being able to roll the windows all the way down and not being able to have the sunroof all the way open annoys the heck out of me!

From what I've read on the forums, I already know that there's pretty much nothing I can do about the sunroof issue. But I couldn't find anything out about the rear windows. Can anyone help out?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The rear windows do not go all the way down. There isn't enough room inside the door to allow the window to go down further.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I don't know of too many modern SUVs where the rear windows roll all the way down. HuskyFan is right, it doesn't go all the way down because there isn't room inside the door for the glass to fit.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I don't know of too many modern SUVs where the rear windows roll all the way down.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Was this not a design to most cars and SUV's to keep the kiddies from jumping out the window of a moving car? I know this is not just SUV's, I think most cars have this feature. Very practical for homes with little ones, very annoying for homes that don't. Reminds me of child proof caps on bottles.
Bob1
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL i guess it's pretty obvious that since i asked the question in the first place, i don't have any kids.

plus, i'm a firm believer in "big boy rules." as in if not letting the windows roll all the way down is safer, then simply don't roll them all the way down!

or for the sunroof...if having them go all the way back causes too much wind buffeting for your comfort, then only go to the second-to-last notch instead of imposing a sunroof for ALL MO owners that can only open about 2/3s of the way back!

i like to think that MO owners are smarter than the average bear. give us some room for some independent decision making!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
There just isn't enuf room in the door for the window.
Has nothing to do with Children. No such requirement exists.

Now the Sunroof is a whole nuther thing.
That is poor engineering.
Nissan? Poor Engineering?
Yes.
Suhato Mitsui, the Alternator engineer, was asked to help out on the sun roof............ And the rest is history.

Homer:runaway:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Homer kills urban myth.

Well Homer, I said correct me if I'm wrong and you did.
A bit in disbelief that is why the windows do what they do, I did some searching. I came across this forum Q and A.
This is not about the Murano but a Buick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q The rear windows go down half way down. I know this is normal, its a safety feature to keep youngins from crawling out the window. I'll never be hauling kids, and if I do, I can lock the rear windows with a nifty switch on my armrest. My question:

Is there a way to make the rear windows fully retract? Is there a stop that can be removed? Perhaps a front window motor can be retrofitted to the rear?

A nope thats not the only reason. It also doesnt close all the way cuz the shape of the rear door so the glass is to long for it to go all the way down b4 it its that curve in the door

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So Homer, you are correct but looking at many questions on the web during my search it looks like many of us were told this was a safety thing.
Must have been an assumption by someone and it developed into a widespread falsehood.
Bob1

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"Must have been an assumption by someone and it developed into a widespread falsehood."

Probably because it sounds sensible........ :D

Actually the only guys I know of that came unglued were the Porsche Cayene (sp?) drivers.
I guess Porsche guys are used to putting down rear windows or something.....
It was a big deal on their forum last year. Some of them were screaming. :rolleyes:

The rear windows don't bother me.
The sun roof really P's me off.

Homer

·
Registered
781 Posts
hfelknor said:
Actually the only guys I know of that came unglued were the Porsche Cayene (sp?) drivers.
I guess Porsche guys are used to putting down rear windows or something.....
It was a big deal on their forum last year. Some of them were screaming. :rolleyes:
Surprises me - you wouldn't think they'd want to mess up their hair...

Was that too stereotypical?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to have a Lexus IS 300--as much as I love my MO, man do I miss that car, and Lexus' first class service too--and the rear windows rolled all the way down. And the sunroof retracted all the way too! And I'm not completely positive about this, but I think I've heard somewhere that the RX 330 is the same way too.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
mackdaddie12 said:
I used to have a Lexus IS 300--as much as I love my MO, man do I miss that car, and Lexus' first class service too--and the rear windows rolled all the way down. And the sunroof retracted all the way too! And I'm not completely positive about this, but I think I've heard somewhere that the RX 330 is the same way too.
It is... my wife's 330 has rear windows that roll all the way down... They basically made the window a rectangle and have a small triangular notch that does not move at all. The rectangle can fit all the way in the door. If you look at the Murano's rear windows, they are oddly shaped so that the wide part at the bottom will not slide all the way into the door.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is room for the windows.

I have had the rear panels off when installing speakers and if they wanted to they could easily get the rear windows to go down much further than they do now, if not all the way.

My guess is its a kiddo-friendly feature.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ZBoy
Is there enough track and is the motor mechanism in the way.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MOpar said:
ZBoy
Is there enough track and is the motor mechanism in the way.
If I recall no to the track length and as for the motor well, right now yes it would block.

So if you wanted to modify it yourself, sorry, without a lot of work cant be done.

But Nissan could have made it roll down all the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts