Nissan Murano Forum banner

Receipt / Delivery Inspection

15K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Woossh48 
#1 ·
We have discussed this at various points within our individual threads and based on my recent order experience thought it would be good to discuss again. I was in a hurry and missed a few issues. There are several items to check for when buying a Murano that go beyond the salesperson handing you the keys. So lets start the listing:

1. Check interior for blemishes.
These include scratches and greasy handprints.

2. Check exterior for blemishes.
These include scratches or paint defects.

3. Ask for a copy of the dealer performed Nissan Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).
If they seem clueless then you should know they are required by Nissan to have a technician perform a PDI checklist. It isn’t all inclusive and like everything else depends on who is doing it, but it is a starting point.

4. Check for Operators Manual.
Every vehicle is required to have one. Nissan packages theirs in a nice zippered silver and black binder. There should also be a quick instruction card on programming the homelink transceiver on the rear view mirror, a Murano quick reference guide, a warranty information booklet, and a service and maintenance guide.

5. Check the rear wiper, it should not freely rotate.
A common issue is the nut that holds the rear wiper mechanism in place is loose.

6. Check for alignment problems.
A common issue is for alignment to be off resulting in a pull to the left or the right. While taking the car for a test drive see if there is a pull taking into account road crown. All roads are “crowned” for rain water to flow off into the ditches. For example on a two lane road driving in the right lane there is a slight tendency for the vehicle to pull to the right and there is a tendency to pull to the left while driving on the left side of the road. Driving down the center of the road straddling the crown, the car should not pull left or right.

7. Check Stereo Operation.
Make sure FM radio reception is strong as a loose antenna ground nut can cause weak reception. Not a bad idea to take a CD with you to test CD player operation. Note that on ’06 models with Bose, it is supposed to play M3Ps and WMAs from a CD if the songs were ripped within certain bitrate specifications as outlined in this forum and the operator’s manual.

Sunroof: Check all Sunroof operation.

VDC with TPMS: Drive around the block and check that the tire pressure indicators on the display are reading correctly. For vehicles without VDC/TPMS check tire pressure manually.

DVD Navigation: Make sure you have the NAVI manual, and the Navigation screen shows your current position on a map. This ensures the navigation system is working correctly and the DVD is installed.

OEM Tow: Ensure a ball and ball mount receiver is included.

Ensure Presence of Miscellaneous Items: Cargo Net, Jack, Tow Hook, Spare, and Cargo Area Cover.

Suggestions: Don't let the dealer buff, wax or otherwise touch the finish. Make the dealer remove their advertisement stuck to the back of your Murano. They should give you a full tank of gas.

See less See more
#3 ·
I wish I had known about the pre-delivery inspection report (PDI) when I picked up my MO. I would have liked to see them explain why everything was checked off on the report yet the tires were seriously over-inflated, plastic wrap was still on several items, packing material was under the seats and the gas gauge was on "E".

-njjoe

#5 ·
zebelkhan said:
Good write-up/suggestions. We should have this as a sticky.
Sticky it is!

#6 ·
I should have checked it. Shortly after driving off, it was dead in the middle of the road. Man was I pissed. First a shell game on the lease deal (VPP), then this.

my new vehicles always had a full tank, nobody warned me the gauge was pointing to fumes only.

I sent them the receipts for the gas can with five gallons plus the full tank...they 're supposed to be cutting me a check for $69.00 (one week still waiting).

I thought only dips**ts run out of gas, but there I was in the middle of the road with my little red can....my family and friends got a good laugh out of this.

Good thing I love the vehicle.
waiting for the survey,
Scott

#7 ·
Be sure to test drive the exact vehicle you plan to buy. A lot of people drive only the demo car then buy something out of the dealer's inventory without driving it. When I bought my new Murano last week, the demo car had 530 miles on it, while the one in the showroom had only 8 miles on it. That's the one I wanted. And when I asked to take it for a test drive before I signed any papers, the sales manager balked a little. I asked him, "Would you buy a new pair of shoes without trying them on first?" He got the message and had the car taken out of the showroom so I could drive it.

#8 ·
These are such awesome suggestions. Never once have i done this with any new car. I just trusted in the dealer to make sure all was well; when in fact, all they want is my money.

This list is in my "to do" packet when my new Mo comes in.

Thanks for the great ideas everyone.

#9 ·
About to go pickup my new 07 MO in an hour... glad I saw this post. I was planning to ask them for a check-up report on the car when I got there anyway, but now I know what it is by name. Also, this car arrived from another dealer a few hundred miles away so I hope they have all the necessary paperwork from that dealership on the car's original arrival from Japan.

I was also planning on driving it and starting it up and what not. The salesman said it is being cleaned and inspected this morning.

wish me luck

#10 ·
htown_gator-

A simple and sure way to tell if your car has been properly prepped is to check the air pressure in the tires. If it is greater than 40 psi you know they did virtually nothing except stick their nameplate on it.

-njjoe

#12 ·
Enforcer said:
We have discussed this at various points within our individual threads and based on my recent order experience thought it would be good to discuss again. I was in a hurry and missed a few issues. There are several items to check for when buying a Murano that go beyond the salesperson handing you the keys. So lets start the listing:

1. Check interior for blemishes.
These include scratches and greasy handprints.

2. Check exterior for blemishes.
These include scratches or paint defects.

3. Ask for a copy of the dealer performed Nissan Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).
If they seem clueless then you should know they are required by Nissan to have a technician perform a PDI truck part checklist. It isn’t all inclusive and like everything else depends on who is doing it, but it is a starting point.

4. Check for Operators Manual.
Every vehicle is required to have one. Nissan packages theirs in a nice zippered silver and black binder. There should also be a quick instruction card on programming the homelink transceiver on the rear view mirror, a Murano quick reference guide, a warranty information booklet, and a service and maintenance guide.

5. Check the rear wiper, it should not freely rotate.
A common issue is the nut that holds the rear wiper mechanism in place is loose.

6. Check for alignment problems.
A common issue is for alignment to be off resulting in a pull to the left or the right. While taking the car for a test drive see if there is a pull taking into account road crown. All roads are “crowned” for rain water to flow off into the ditches. For example on a two lane road driving in the right lane there is a slight tendency for the vehicle to pull to the right and there is a tendency to pull to the left while driving on the left side of the road. Driving down the center of the road straddling the crown, the car should not pull left or right.

7. Check Stereo Operation.
Make sure FM radio reception is strong as a loose antenna ground nut can cause weak reception. Not a bad idea to take a CD with you to test CD player operation. Note that on ’06 models with Bose, it is supposed to play M3Ps and WMAs from a CD if the songs were ripped within certain bitrate specifications as outlined in this forum and the operator’s manual.

Sunroof: Check all Sunroof operation.

VDC with TPMS: Drive around the block and check that the tire pressure indicators on the display are reading correctly. For vehicles without VDC/TPMS check tire pressure manually.

DVD Navigation: Make sure you have the NAVI manual, and the Navigation screen shows your current position on a map. This ensures the navigation system is working correctly and the DVD is installed.

OEM Tow: Ensure a ball and ball mount receiver is included.

Ensure Presence of Miscellaneous Items: Cargo Net, Jack, Tow Hook, Spare, and Cargo Area Cover.

Suggestions: Don't let the dealer buff, wax or otherwise touch the finish. Make the dealer remove their advertisement stuck to the back of your Murano. They should give you a full tank of gas.
Hey good stuff here bro... So this is what should I do formy murano

#14 ·
These are all good points, but having sold cars for a couple of years, they are all things that people will find as they drive them - perhaps minus the tire pressure issue. They take it back to the dealer and have it corrected.

Myself, I'm not going to spend half an hour crawling over the vehicle when I take delivery. I'm going to finish the paperwork, do a walk-around, sit down in it, fire it up and hit the road. If I don't spot it during the walk-around I'll worry about it later.

#16 ·
I wish I had thought about the pre-conveyance investigation report (PDI) when I got my MO. I would have jumped at the chance to see them clarify why everything was confirmed on the report yet the tires were earnestly over-swelled, saran wrap was still on a few things, pressing material was under the seats.

#18 ·
To me it is a trust factor. When you are handed a document that says all this has been done and it is easily detectable that some things were not even inspected.... well, there goes a lot of what I believe the dealer says.
A good for instance, when we traded and had a balance on our car the salesman called to get the payoff. I guess he called the back room and came up with a figure of XXXXX. He said the payoff is XXX and I said that's not right. He called back and got the actual payoff which was over $2,000 less. One of the ways dealers pad their profits.

And yes, the last two, including the one we just picked up, had over 40 pounds in the tires. I will go today and get an inspection sheet and check every item myself.

I drove a Ford Taurus SHO once in '89. I did not buy that vehicle, but later a salesman told me the car was shipped from the factory without motor oil. They had to replace the motor. A really BIG miss there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.