Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket nav/gps system for my MO? I know that I can google and find tons of stuff, but I trust you guys/gals and wanted to know your thoughts.

TIA

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Do a search or just browse through this particular forum. Lots of comments.

People seem to like the Garmin 2620 (or the cheaper 2610 with fewer maps) and the Magellan Roadmate 700. TomTom is OK, but look into the thread where I talk about it a lot.

Garmin also just recently released their c330 which is very similar to the TomTom.

So far I've bought, tested, and returned the TomTom and the Garmin 700. Buying from the store (CompUSA and Fry's respectively) they were the same price ($999). As far as navigation is concerned, the Magellan was FAR supperior (although at one point it had some serious problems trying to get a sat signal and I had to cycle power several times before it picked up). But the TomTom was very easy to use and the battery makes it REALLY nice.

I'm currently trying to find a store that will sell me the Garmin c330 to try out. Online seems to be the only place available so far, and the return policies aren't that great. I'm hoping that unit will have the power and features of the standard Garmin stuff, but the ease of use and battery system of the TomTom.

I'm still debating whether a nav system is worth the $800-$1000 that it would cost. For me, it's really just a cool toy that would come in handy every once in a while.

Anyway, my biggest suggestion is to find one that you think you like (based on online reviews, etc) and then try to find a store with a good return policy so that you can check it out and make sure it's what YOU want. Then, if you like it, take it back and order it online for a couple hundred dollars cheaper (or try to get the store to match the online price).

And before you say that I'm cheating the store by doing this, I don't think I am. BECAUSE of Fry's return policy, I usually buy all of my stuff there even if it's slightly more expensive than buying online. They get my business on MOST items because they let me return anything I decide I don't want.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Corin said:
For me, it's really just a cool toy that would come in handy every once in a while.
Believe me, all you need to do is to use one under stress and it will be worth every penny you paid for it! Having said that, I have a Garmin 2620 which is great, exept I don't like its speaker set-up (It is right on the power plug-in unit). As Corin said, it is mostly parked inside its bag in the trunk though!

OR, you can also do what I did. Put a carputer in and you will have a lot more than just GPS!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the Roadmate 700 and like it alot. It has been very accurate and quick to get a signal. I wish it had more points of interest and have the ability to choose waypoints. those items will probably come with software upgrades. See the threads for "NAV choices to chew on" I have posted a few pictures of my set up.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
rugiles said:
I have the Roadmate 700 and like it alot. It has been very accurate and quick to get a signal. I wish it had more points of interest and have the ability to choose waypoints. those items will probably come with software upgrades. See the threads for "NAV choices to chew on" I have posted a few pictures of my set up.
My Magellan 750M has 11,000,000 + points of interest. There are very few that I haven't found listed.

What do you mean by "the ability to choose waypoints"?

I agree with zebelkhan, the first time it gets you out of (or around) a jam, it's paid for itself. By the 6,000th time it's done that, you're way ahead of the game. I have never regretted buying mine. Never.

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Some time ago I put the review about my Navman ICN 510. For some reason it was deleted. Anyway, I spend $400 including the 1G of memory. I am thinking it was a good buy. It has good screen, its light and it’s perfectly fits in your pocket. Sometime the routs are not the best, but it always gets me where I want to go.

·
4,601 Posts
No, it's still there....

NAVMAN iCN 510, Great unit and good price

You have to watch the settings when listing threads. The forum will only show you recent ones and you have to change that with a drop down box at the bottom of the page.

Just like mine's still way back there...

HP iPAQ H2210/2215 and the HP iPAQ Bluetooth Navigation System

I've since upgraded to the latest version of iGuidance, which will run on a PC as well as the PPC and works great. If you already have a PPC, you can get an excellent nav system running on it for less than a couple of hundred bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't post very often, but I second Jack's suggestion. I have a Dell Axim x30 with the Dell Bluetooth Nav and Seido mount - It works GREAT! I owned a Magellan Roadmate 700 previously and it was too bulky for my liking. I bought a mount called ProClip (www.proclipusa.com) that simply "snaps" into the CD/radio console (Made specifially for the Murano), attached the Seido to the ProClip and voila!. The Seido also supplies power to the PDA and charges it, too. I like this setup because the suction cup mounts of the Roadmate and others really advertises that you have something of $$$ in the car, plus I found the suction cup mount to obscure the view out the windshield.

The Dell NAV is really easy to use (as are many of the others). I am pretty happy with it. It was $209 when I bought it, but even now at $229 (I think) it's still a good solution.

Mark:2:

·
4,601 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jaak,

The iGuidance software looks just like the Dell version. Dell actually has two - Pharos and the one I am using. The menus are identical - even the female voice is the same. Dell must license the software of them, I guess.

I have found the routes to be quite accurate. How about for you?

Mark

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, the iPAQ Navigation software is the same as well. In fact it recognised the maps from the iGuidance disc and I had to uninstall it first then reinstall the iGuidance for it to update.

Routis was also the same package.

Current version shown on inavcorp is 2.0, but I just got 2.1 shipped to me as an upgrade. It's three CD's of maps and it works extremely well. 2.0 was two CD's. If you buy it, you can upgrade for just the shipping costs.

The routes are quite good and the current maps are better than the older version 1.0. Also has the birds eye view.

What really impresses me, is there's a spot where I drive on to a highway and depending on where I need to go, it tells me, bear right, bear left, keep left, or whatever, to ensure I'm on track.

Very accurate.

The latest version also has a gong of sorts that alerts you, so you're brain is at attention for the voice command. Works well. I've missed commands before, when not paying attention.

There's also a speed alert you can enable, which is very accurate. Could save you a ticket when the speed changes.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased. What's really cool is playing music off my iPAQ through the Pac Audio adapter and then the voice command comes through. It doesn't have Ipod capacity, but with a 1 Gig SD card, it's not bad.

I put the XM back in, so I have to work out a different interface for that now. (and I will...)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
The Garmin 2620 sits in my wife's car. I use Routis 2004 in my MO which is almost the same as iGuidance. I have changed the voice on that so now I hear my daughter saying "Bear left dummy...." or "Hey...turn right..." It is quite funny! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
The roadmate 700 only has 2,000,000 way points which sounds like a lot but it covers the whole US and includes schools, parks and everything else. I mostly want up to date restuarant info. As for way points. I want to be able to plan the begin of my route thru short cuts for traffic avoidance which are not one of the 4 choices I have when calculating the route to my destination. I can choose Shortest distance, shortest time, most motor ways or least motorways, if I very off one of these options (backroads) it keep giving voice and tone warnings that I am straying of course until the system finally gives up and calculates based on by direction. I would love to select a final destination but as part of the route I could select a point along the way as a midpoint. Example start at point A want to get to point C but want to go thru point B.

·
4,601 Posts
iGuidance will do that. (and the other packages that are the same software with different names)

You program in detours in the destination.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
i had been using Ostia software (from Pharos) with the Pharos receiver on my iPAQ. just got the TomTom software. and man that software is just awesome. the whole canada is covered in one file. so no more switching maps when entering different provinces....

really good interface and it caught signals from 7 satellites which is really rare here in Saskatoon ( i dont know why, i always got 5 satellites before)

·
4,601 Posts
I've always wondered about TomTom, but when I first went to check it out, they didn't have Canada maps... (Yeah, a couple years back!)

I'd love to see pics, if you can.

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
jaak said:
I've always wondered about TomTom, but when I first went to check it out, they didn't have Canada maps... (Yeah, a couple years back!)

I'd love to see pics, if you can.
how about the whole demo video,
i made the video out of my pocket pc for the tom tom.

its 199mb, i will try to compress it today in some divx, and will post the link to it.

well, the pics are here since i could take em right now....

·
Registered
747 Posts
Lowrance iWay 500c

I just ordered a Lowrance iWay 500C the other day. This is the unit with a 20G hard drive, 10 for mapping and 10 for MP3 Music. I paid @ $650.00 with shipping. I will update when I get the unit in and play around with it. I may also be buying a PAC Auxiliary input unit as the iWay 500c allows for Aux input into the stereo system so that you can play the NAV and music through the Manufacturer's stereo. I may start out with an FM Modulator and see how that goes.

FYI - I deleted this post from The NAV/GPS Sticky and moved it here. I did not mean to post this within that particular topic.

·
Registered
151 Posts
More info here

Don't know if you are still shopping but I went through this in the beginning of the year as my buddy bought the Magellan 700 for christmas and gave me alot to think about. After debating spending $800 or more for a stand alone unit I decided to upgrade my existing Palm Zire 72 with GPS software and a cradle. Go here for pics:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=52569#post52569.

I take my Palm with me on business appointments anyway so the Nav is not sitting in the car all the time. I purchased a extra cradle for the wifes car because I dont want to continually adjust the arm on the one in the MO. Also with the palm I get a still camera, video camera. voice recorder and much more anytime I have it in my possession as a Nav device!.

Total cost was under $400!!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
747 Posts
njmo

Thanks for your thoughts on NAV. I had already gone the route you are going. I had an iPAQ with a Belkin Bluetooth GPS Receiver. It was a nice setup but in the end was not much cheaper than the Hard Drive units for me, because I had to buy everything including the iPAQ and a mount for the car. It was pretty reliable and got me out of some jams when I was travelling on business and pretty accurate as well. Good luck with yours.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts