Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got a new Nissan Murano last week but no one has been able to tell me with any certainty what type of fuel is recommended for it! Some say Premium, some say Regular, on top of that confusion, some gas stations refer to 93 as Premium and some as Super. There is also Plus (89?) - where does that one fall?

I am totally confused! :(

Someone, anyone, please tell me what type of fuel (number please!) is recommended for the Murano - 87, 89, 93???

Thanks a lot!
-Amber Jane

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wouldn't run 87 - we did for awhile and had a few pinging issues.

Possibly 89 if I was trying to save a buck or 2.

91 is good - proabably the best of both worlds - price/performance. Some areas - that is the best you can get.

93 is best - however can get expensive.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I believe that Nissan recommended 91 octane for the 03s.
there has been no publicized changes to the 04s that would have changed that.
Of course, like all other cars these days, there is a knock sensor.
So some people have driven with 87 octane and gotten away with it.
But it will cost you in power and mileage. OTOH it may save you money.

I run 93 octane just because there is no 91 available around here (and most places in the south). Pennys don't bother me.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The recommended fuel is stated in your owners manual - 91 octane or higher. However, the knock sensor is computer controlled and you can run 87 octane in your Murano as well. Try both and see if you can tell the difference. If you can't, use regular and save a few bucks.

I have tried 87, 89, 91, 93, and 94 and have noticed a very slight difference using super (91+). Its not big though, mainly the response you get from a standing start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've been running 87 for 300 miles now and no problems.

I'm still getting about 22 in mixed driving. (Im very gentle on the pedal)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Buy Shell gas. It does give you better gas milage. As for the grade of gas, if you plan on keeping the Murano a long time, baby it now and you'll save money in the long run. Go with the 91 or 93 grades more often then not.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've used both 91 and 87 and still have pinging issues from time to time. Between the two I didn't notice a difference in gas mileage or power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
4200 miles strictly on 87. No pinging issues, and getting 22 mpg in mixed driving.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I broke mine in on 91-93 octane and once break in was completed, I've used both 89 and 91-93 octane.

I keep very close records on mileage and conditions (for every tank) and there is no difference between the two at all in mileage performance or pinging. Matter or fact, it seems to me I get slightly better mileage on the 89.

I have never dropped all the way down to 87 octane and wouldn't do that to my VQ.

I never used anything except 91-93 in my 00 Maxima because it just runs so good on the high octane good stuff.

Maybe I should try a few tanks of 89 and see what happens.

·
5,244 Posts
had one tank 87. Did not notice difference. However, I usually use 91 or 93. It just feel better. I think I get better performance during hard acceleration.

As to the mileage - it is really hard to compare as the conditions are so different.........

·
Registered
145 Posts
I quite often sit in teh cheap seats so I usually buy the 87. I have seen no difference in power, performance and milage. The owners manual states that 87 is recommended but 91 will provide higher performance. I think I will run 87 and buy a K&N filter and call it even.;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I used 91 for the 1st couple thousand k's and always get 520 k's to the tank. I tried 87 after that and have used it since because the power is the same and I still get 520 kilometers to the tank (mostly city). definitely no pinging happening.
87 octane gas in Canada is 74.5 cents per litre which is $2.30 us per american gallon. It costs approx. $55 to $60 cdn to fill the tank. I think that I will be fine with 87 for now unless I win the lottery.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I run Premium, either 91 or 93 depending on which station I go to. Usually the station's highest grade will always be called "Premium" even if the real name is 'super' or 'cool gas' or 'mega awesome' ;)

Midgrade or Premium should do your Murano right. I would avoid the lower grade of gas simply because it isn't the "best" for the engine.

In past cars, regular was "best" for the engine (according to the owners manual), so I ran that. But now, this new high performance VQ engine wants a better grade of gas ;)

Something I disagree on: the owner's manual suggests using mineral oil. In almost every circle I've looked, synthetic is the best! I guess Nissan wanted to keep their maintenance schedules the same for all vehicles (based on 3.5k oil changes) rather than switch it up... synthetic will run a lot longer than mineral...

·
Registered
145 Posts
slugish performance

I have to eat a little crow today. I tried to justify that their was no difference with 87 or 89 or 91 octane. I thought it would not matter but I was wrong. I have been using 87 for the past 3 months. I never experience a ping so I thought I was OK. After a while, I noticed that if I didn't jump on the pedal my MO would feel flat after about 20 mph and not accelerate with the power and feeling I liked (when in D). In Ds I felt no difference in performance. I put 89 in yesterday and the loss is gone and back is the zip I enjoyed when I bought my MO. My little experiment has sold me on the higher grades. I tried to save money but the loss of performance isn't worth it. Dang Nissan engineers were right. You can run 87 but for better performance use the higher grades. Has anyone seen or felt any performance difference between 89 and 91?

03 Super Black SL FWD, Leather, Premium Package, Sunroof, Wind Deflector, Draw-tite 2" hitch

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you want another performance boost, turn off the A/C. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would never question that higher octane gas will give better performance in this engine. Compression is just too high to NOT have knock (the fact that you don't hear it simply means the timing is being automatically retarded to compensate, which also reduces engine power) running 87 octane.

So, if you want (or need) full warp power, you must run the best gas. I don't.

What about mileage? Well, around here premium is $.30 higher per gallon than regular (20 % higher). So, to offset the increased gas cost, I would need to get 20% better mileage. 24 MPG in city, 29 MPG highway. That isn't going to happen, so economics say run the cheap stuff.

There was some question as to whether running cheap gas is damaging to the engine. My opinion is, if you cannot hear pinging, then the engine computer is adequately correcting for it, and no damage is being done. If you DO hear pinging, then featherfoot your way to the nearest station and add some good stuff into the mix.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think in terms of fuel economy, purchasing premium is not worth the cost difference. However if you want to get every last horsepower from that engine, then thats the situation to use premium. How much extra power is not really know, I guess someone would have to check out the differences on a dyno run. I notice a slight decrease in power when using regular, but gas is pretty inexpensive in Central Illinois (as opposed to Northern California where I am originally from) so I don't mind buying premium.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts