Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to tackle detailing my car this weekend and have not been able to decide on products for the interior/Glass/Tires. I choose Zainos for the wax. I had hoped to be able to pick up some product local for these tasks, but I am having a hard time choosing. Can anyone recommend some products (for the above) that can be picked up at the local auto stores. In live in northern NJ (Wayne area) but am willing to travel a little.

Thanks,
RZ

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
With apologies to Sal Zaino, who I think of as practically a god in this industry, the best glass cleaner IMO is Stoners.

I DO think Sal's tire stuff is the best.

What I like about it.

It's a liquid. It has no Petro products. It has no silicone products.
Being a liquid you can put some on a rag and apply it without it getting all over your wheels.
It imparts a "satin" finish.
IF you want a higher gloss, do it again.
It lasts about a month thru rain, wind and fire.;)

Homer

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
OH and BTW.
When you are done cleaning your windows, rub them down with crunched up newspaper.
I'm not kidding!
Old show car trick.

Homer
(Old show car guy!)
(I'm old, not the show cars:2: )

·
Registered
777 Posts
& what do the crunched up newspapers do ???????????

I would guess you mean on the outside, because I could see it scratching the inside tint.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yeah on the outside.
Tho I don't think the windows are tinted on the inside.
Unless Nissan is noted for being cheap.
Chrysler van, Corvette windows are "tinted" IN the window.

The newsprint comes off, acts as a cleaner and imparts a shine to the glass.
Try it on a rear window.
If you don't like it, dont do it.

Homer

·
Registered
834 Posts
scratching the inside tint?

Are you referring to after market tint? From the factory its part of the glass not applied like a film.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my front windows tinted. Any recommendations on what to use on that. Someone told me Joy dishwashing soap in a spray bottle is what I should use instead of windex.

Matt

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That's for sure. That's what is used to put it on.......and take it off.
Joy is probably a good choice. It is very mild. And you only need a drop or two to break the surface tension of water.
I used to take my wifes Ivory soap bar and slash it around in a half a bowl of water before I did mine. (Don't tell her)
and then a half a bowl (Full bowls spill:( ) to rinse it.

But, I am glad to hear that Nissan uses regular tinted glass and doesn't use a film on the inside. That would turn me off.
Seemed natural tho, as everybody else in the whole wide world uses what some call Sunscren Windows.

Got my Chrome wheels installed today.
Drove home in the rain (naturally) so will be a day or so before I post some pix.

Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Everyone on the east coast drove in rain today

Homer. Hurricane. Remember?

It just flew by here (Montreal). Not too bad. It has become a tropical storm (Isabel, Isobel, Isabelle, whatever her name is).

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
No hurricane in Florida.
Weather was even nice when it went by, on tues and weds.

Kinda stange stuff going on the people have yet to adapt to.
Everybody still thinks of Florida when Hurricanes are mentioned.
I would bet that North Caroline gets more hurricanes than us and has for several years now.

You say it went by, so I take it you got damp and that was pretty much it?

With due repect for the people who did not make it, it was a lot less severe than they (The news media) had predicted/hoped for. Thank goodness.
Still did a lot of damage of course and power will be a problem for some folks for weeks probably.

Homer

·
Registered
278 Posts
Isabelle hits Virginia

In a real cat fight, Isabelle struck Virginia, knocked down power lines, caused fires, etc.

It started off the east coast of Florida, but headed northwest, then inland, so it went west of us here.

I found some pine branches in the yard when I arrived tonight, but nothing became airborne and struck the Murano (my biggest concern).

I put cement in the garbage cans.

The project to build new carports and a new garage is still in planning phase.

There are now two cars here, one carport, and one not-yet-assembled plastic garage thing.

I figured I'd wait until the storm had passed (and until there are four people here to position the frame.

Any of you free this weekend?

We're putting the windows in the sun room tomorrow. The plastic did not survive the winds tonight (no surprise). I stapled it back up for the night, since the winds have subsided.

Jaak will know how southern Ontario made out. They were supposed to get the worst of it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Newsprint on windows

When you say that the newsprint wears on on the glass, do you mean the ink or the paper?

What is it about newsprint and glass?

My mother (and everyone else's) always used newspaper to clean windows.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I didn't know that about the mommys.
Mine dint.

I first ran across it in a car show in Ca when my perfect 88 vette was a runnerup to a great cheater Yellow Stang that had dark tinted windows and an almost eerie (eery?) glow to the glass. Very striking compared to the Canary Yeller paint job. I told the guy I wouldn't fill outa report about the cheatin (Street driver class, he had no guts in his chrome distributor) if he would tell me where he got the great new/old stock of glass. Turns out it was OEM glass, with the newspaper trick. Been usin it ever since.

The ink comes off the paper (Just like it does when you read the paper).
Newsprint ink has some kinda property to it that both cleans and leaves a shine behind. Don't know much about the chemical "How do it do that?" details, but it works.

Yeah the evil wench Izzybelle was off the east coast of FL.
WAY off the east coast of Fl.
We got nothing from it.
as a matter of fact, our normal rainy season seems to be abating, and the first yankees are starting to show up.
The Canadians don't get here until October, eh.

Homer

·
Registered
180 Posts
OK, maybe I've missed something here -- I want to be sure cause I'm having one helluva time getting "that film" off the windows (interior). Our MO salesman told us to use newspaper to clean the glass -- I thought he was throwing some :bsflag: but now it turns out he was right? :1pat:

So what's the deal? Use the newspaper on the inside too?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Well, I only use it on the exterior, but I suppose you could do it both inside and out.

Homer

There is no tint on the inside or outside of our glass from the factory/
It is inside of the glass.

H

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
yes, nespaper is the best (strek-free) or the "diaper=soft" cloth rags....

STONER's glass cleaner is now safe for window film (not what is oem on the MO...oem is a glazed glass, not to worry!)

jus dont use the colored newsprint (comics, etc) as that tends to make a mess......

before sotner's i used vinegar..... works well on mildly dirty glass, if you can deal with the temp. odor.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts