Nissan Murano Forum banner

Red Calipers on Silver Mo

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  zyren 
#1 ·
#2 ·
MightyMo-

I just loved the last photo (the wheel-less MO on jacks). The wheel openings are so large it makes the discs look almost toy-like.

-njjoe

#5 ·
You know, if I have to explain, it's probably a hopeless effort. :D ;)

#7 ·
The wheels actually aren't that 'open', so they don't show the calipers off as well as they could. Anyway, takes 24 hours for the paint to cure, then I can get the car washed and maybe snap some more pics.

#8 ·
I'm not sure when/where it first started, but I recall noticing painted calipers on Vipers, Vettes and 911s about 10 years ago.

I'm not sure how it will look on the MO, but I love the look of red or black painted multiple-piston, smoothly-machined calipers found on those sports cars.

That's just my opinion.

-njjoe

#9 ·
Indeed, the Silver body/Red caliper is a combo most associated with Porsche.

#11 ·
True

MightyMo said:
You know, if I have to explain, it's probably a hopeless effort. :D ;)
I painted mine RED on my Silver Mo. AND
painted them really terrific Bright Silver on my 05 which was a much darker Pewter Mo.

Folks said why and I said "to get on the other side."

It's just a thing that some of us "Modders Do" :D

#12 ·
Well done MightMO...

though I would prefer it to be silver. (despite Ferrari colors! :D :D )

#13 ·
I just added some pics with the rims on the car, use the same link as above.

Really, if you want to 'show off' the calipers you need some open face aftermarket rims. I'll have to have a friend take a pic on the move on the freeway some time, see if they visually pop out once the rim blurs.

-c

#14 ·
MightyMo

:29:

-njjoe

#16 ·
Mighty FYI the Big Brother software here at work Astaro Internet Security won't let me view pics 837 & 838 and labels them as....

"The item you have requested is infected by a virus. It will not be downloaded."

Notice there file size is larger, but the other 2 came through ok.

#17 ·
lawbroker said:
if you have to ask "why" . . you'll never understand
Disagree, if you do not ask “Why” you will never know!

#18 ·
njjoe said:
...I recall noticing painted calipers on Vipers, Vettes and 911s about 10 years ago.

I'm not sure how it will look on the MO, but I love the look of red or black painted multiple-piston, smoothly-machined calipers found on those sports cars.

That's just my opinion.

-njjoe

That's because these cars have high end 4 or 6 piston calipers that are custom cast for them. They aren't simply painted, they are powdercoated. Some high end calipers are anodized (Brembo makes some like this). In the case of performance calipers on performance vehicles having a different color says "I have high performance brakes." Whether that's of value, is a different debate.

Having stock calipers painted a different color says "I want to have high performance brakes, but in reality, I have off-the-shelf parts bin calipers used accross various model lines. Maybe I'm fooling a few people and that makes my car cool. I'll ignore the fact that the tires spec'd on my car aren't sticky enough for the STOCK brakes much less a higher performance brake setup or the fact that the only people who know the value of a high performance break setup can recognize painted stock calipers from a mile away."

Some even paint their rear DRUMS to match! "Hey, I can't even afford a car with 4 wheel disk brakes, so check out my high performance rear drums!" :2:

#20 ·
KRIS

I think what Mighty Mo and LawBroker said is "Your will never Understand" or it's a "Hopeless Effort"

I am sure you will take what follows in the good spirit it is offered. You should ask Why, But the Answer will not give you what you want.

Knowing something and understanding something are not the same.

Steps to Wisdom:

1. FIND out what it is you don't know.
2. SEARCH OUT and locate that information.
3. SECURE and UNDERSTAND the information
4. USE the Information to gain experience.
5. REPEAT the experience to broaden the knowledge base so that it becomes Understanding.
6. AGE the understanding over time (like fine wine) utilizing reflection to finally reach having WISDOM.

So getting the answer to why will only provide you with one of the many answers to the question, It answers thereselves are not simple one liners like "to Keep them clean' or Reduce heat build Up" which may be incorrect anyway, but even if they were would only be a small sampling of the reasons and EVEN IF you got them all, You still will not have understanding of the reason for doing it, but you will be on the road.

Unfortunately trying to transfer the understanding usually brings ridicule from the receiver (not in your case i am sure) as they take the information as an insult to their perceived state of position on the road to being wise. So trying to transfer it is usually a hard task and one that is not undertaken for negabile gain on the part of the giver. It is part of why being a good parent is a very big job. From when they want the training wheels too too soon or want to go to dangerous places at Spring Break"

No one knows how long that road may be for them as you cannot see the end as you travel forward on it and you never get to the end in this lifetime anyway.

Thats why I gave the answer a few posts ago as "To get on the other side" for a better answer you need to become a chicken or in this case a Caliper Painter. Final thought paint your calipers! Live with them a while. See what you think after 3 to 6 months. You can paint them back to "Natural" if you still want to.

:) ;) :cool: :4: :) :D :) :)

#21 ·
Actually, painting (or even powder coating) the calipers makes sense from an appearance standpoint.

We wash and polish our cars until they shine. When we are done cleaning and polishing the body we clean and polish the wheels. When we are done with the wheels we apply a tire dressing to the tires. Then we stand back and look at our clean and polished car, with the clean and polished wheels, and the new-looking tires, and the shiny metallic brake disk and the rusty, dirty looking caliper assemblies.

Now that many cars come standard with open-spoked wheels, it will only be a matter of time before more cars come standard with powder-coated calipers. They will most likely be black or silver, but they will be colorized. Just wait and see.

-njjoe

#22 ·
Looks like # 1 and 2 are already done for you

#3 is next and looks half done also, the ball is now in your court. :)

Kris Once when you started a thread on changing the fog lamps you said, "Finally I did it. But before I show how to do it a word to Nissan Engineers / designers. All my professional life I preached “maintainability”. I guess Nissan engineers do not know this word. They should all be sent to a garage, given 100 Muranos with a simple task: replace fog bulbs! Maybe they would learn something (my emphasis)

#23 ·
So I did get the answer! :D It was worth asking "WHY".....

Don, you know I do not get easily offended. And I know exactly what you meant....

#24 ·
Neato !

:)

#25 ·
We have all said it a few times before, to members who we disagree with... "to each their own", and I fully respect that.

I can also understand that a painted caliper could mean "performance" and to that end has some "wow factor" in it, and I respect that too. But personally, I think a painted caliper takes ones attention away from the shine of the wheel and focuses it to the underside where rust and dirt is present. I don't like that. In fact, I probably would paint my calipers black to help hide them. But then again....To each their own....:)

#26 ·
Mr. Z

You know there was never any dust or rust present on ANY surface of my MO's I washed and polished everything including the under side. Remember how much flack I got when I told all that I removed the wheels wheni washed the MO.

You may have forgotten I am Nuts!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.