Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I couldn't find any posts about this and I'm curious to hear experiences. Do you use regular or premium gas for your murano? are there any major differences? i just got an 07 and am planning on using regular but will have no problem switching to premium if regular will hurt the engine. any comments/ideas will help!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im looking at the window sticker from mine that I just picked up this weekend, and there is nothing on it in regards to requiring Premium gas, though when my wife had her 05 Maxima SE, that did require premium, and I believe its the same 3.5

Hmmmm, now Ill be watching this post as well...heh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking at the window sticker from mine that I just picked up this weekend, and there is nothing on it in regards to requiring Premium gas, though when my wife had her 05 Maxima SE, that did require premium, and I believe its the same 3.5

Hmmmm, now Ill be watching this post as well...heh
congrats! i just got mine last night and im ecstatic!

if premium will preserve my engine and improve the overall performance i will switch in a heartbeat but i never really used premium in my life time haha

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Personally I don't think you'll notice any significant change and I used to run 87 until I developped about a year ago a severe knocking problem BUT recently on a trip to NY and gas being cheaper on the other side of the border, I filled her with nothing but Premium and can you believe that I barely had any knocking as I usually have!? I did try premium here in Montreal but engine would still ping like a wood pecker. I tanked 1 exit before the border on my way back to Canada (Lacolle) last wednesday and I'm still running the same thank of gas Today! And I have a little more of a 1/4 tank left and best of all no pinging. As Zeb said they are lots of threads that can help you decide and it all comes down to your personal choice. Nissan recommends using premium but it is NOT required. Your engine will run just fine if you use 87. Oh and congrats on your purchase!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Bottom line: Nissan's 3.5L VQ engine can run regular 87 octane without any issues, but you will get more power (how much more is up to debate, I would guess around 5hp and 5lb/ft) and better mileage with premium (91+ octane). Try both, record mileage, see if paying extra for premium is worth the increase in mileage. If not, stick with whatever you usually get. I use premium.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would always prefer Premium Gas as it gives better results in most cases
Agreed. For the few extra bucks each fill up, I say it's foolish not to use the gas Nissan recommends on a car as nice as a Murano. I too use only premium in both my Mo and Max.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed. For the few extra bucks each fill up, I say it's foolish not to use the gas Nissan recommends on a car as nice as a Murano. I too use only premium in both my Mo and Max.
I use premium only in the Murano. 91 Octane would probably be fine as well. ( Premium for me is 93). 87 may have been OK if there was no ethanol in the gas, and although I know I am mixing two separate issues, the answer for me is to just use the premium gas and move on.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Premium only in our 2007 Murano.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I use premium and my experience with premium has been noticeably better performance and slightly better gas mileage. With that, as gas prices climb the gap for cost per mile for 87 Octane vs. 91 Octane becomes so small it is no longer worth the money saved. In my case the cost difference per mile is about $0.0025, or about $1.33 per tank.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
If you look at posts back in 2005, 6 and 7 you will see that I was a firm believer in using regular-grade fuel, believing that it was not cost effective to use premium. However, the premium-grade loons have now convinced me otherwise.

In my area, premium-grade fuel costs 3.75% more than regular. If my MO can get 24.9 mpg with hi-test compared to 24.0 with regular then I am breaking even.

-njjoe

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the price gap shrinking between premium and regular here in Ottawa, Ontario, I use premium (gas prices here are around $1.06/litre for 87 regular and $1.13/litre for 91 premium).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Premium only for our Mo. We initially tried both 87 and 93 and although the Mo ran fine, it was, to me, noticeably down on power when running on 87 octane. Switching back to premium, fuel mileage increased a bit, and in my opinion, the engine performed far better. I can't say that the increase in mileage makes it a wash, as I never calculated out the delta, but I suspect it has to be pretty close. We've stuck with premium and will continue to at least till we get rid of the Mo, many years from now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started using 92 Premium then switched to 87. I noticed that it pinged more than usual. Tried 5 tank fulls. MPG went down and it was pinging an awful lot. I'm on my second full tank of premium and the pinging went down a lot. Still pings a bit, but not too much. From what i remember, knock retard was like hitting your pistons with a hammer. But this is coming from the days i had my supercharged GTP, so i don't know how it relates to the VQ.

BTW, I'm sticking with premium. for the 3~5 dollar difference, its not bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,294 Posts
If in doubt and with a gun to ones' head, the extreme action of reading the owner's manual might be contemplated.

I generally run mid-grade. No ping or knock at 5,000 feet in Colorado.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've been running 87 octane regular since I bought the Murano - I'm at about 2K miles and have only filled up 4 times (not counting the gas that came in it which i am certain was regular).

The engine is smooth and quiet, acceleration and passing power is great. Mileage is what I was expecting based on looking at records of other Murano owners on fuelly.com.

Just reporting my results - I have no strong feelings toward regular or premium.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts