Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regular verses 91 octane for the MO?

I saw John Stossel on the TV show 20/20 the others day, and he said it is a myth that 91 octane fuel is better for your car than regular 87 octane fuel, unless your car says you MUST use 91 octane premium because it is a higher compression engine.

So my question is… How many of you out there are using regular 87 octane fuel in your MO, and find that it runs just as well as it does on 91 octane premium?

The Price Is Premium, But 'Gas Is Gas'

When you head out on vacation this summer, you'll probably spend big bucks filling your car's gas tank, while griping about the price. But a lot of you who are complaining could be spending less for your gas.

You have a choice of gas at the pump. The price of 93 octane premium is more than regular 87 octane — about 20 cents more per gallon at many stations. Because premium costs more, a lot of people think it's better for their cars.

People told us premium gasoline gives them better gas mileage, more power and cleaner engines.

Regular gas, one woman told "20/20," "leaves a lot of gunk in your engine … That's what my daddy taught me."

But her daddy — and many of you who buy premium — are wasting your money.

NASCAR driver Joe Nemechek knows this. "Believe me, I've pumped gas in from about every gas station there's been in my personal cars. Whether it's around town or on vacation or wherever, you put the regular in there it keeps on running," he said. The NASCAR drivers, mechanics, and car makers will tell you that for 90 percent of the cars sold today, high octane is no better than regular gas. It won't give you better mileage, more power or a cleaner engine. NASCAR crew member Lisa Smokstad told us what every expert told us.

"It is a myth that cars run better on premium gas," she said.
Some cars do need higher octane — older cars that knock, and cars with high-compression, high-revving engines like Ferraris, Bentleys, Jaguars, Acuras, Mercedes and Corvettes.
But 90 percent of new cars don't need it — check your owner's manual.

The car manufacturers and every car expert we consulted told us that for most cars, high octane is a waste of money. Even the gas companies that sell the high-octane fuel — and make more money off of it — admit most people don't need it. But they don't go out of their way to tell you that.

Once you've figured out which octane to buy, does the brand matter? Are the well-known national brands better than the no-name brands, which are usually cheaper?

People we spoke to gave similar reasons for buying name-brand gasoline that they gave for buying high-octane gas. They believed the national brands were higher quality, and better for their cars.

But they may not know that all the gas, brand name and generic, comes from the same refineries. Brand names do use different additives, but it doesn't make them better for your car.

In 1996, the Federal Trade Commission forced Amoco, which denied any wrongdoing, to stop claiming in its ads that it was better than other brands without scientific evidence to back it up.
"It's a myth that brand-name gas is better than a no-name gas," said mechanic Dave Bowman, co-host of "Two Guys Garage" on cable TV's Speed channel.

"It doesn't make any difference whether you're buying a branded product or a no-name product," he said.

"The only difference is price."

The NASCAR drivers agree about that, too. "It's a myth, you don't need the high-octane gasoline, you don't need the, the name-brand stuff," said driver Jimmie Johnson.

Some of the fans have figured that out.

One man summed it up nicely for us. "The manufacturers and the gasoline dealers, they all want you to buy that expensive stuff. It all runs on the same stuff. Gas is gas."

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
The compression of the Murano engine is 10.3:1, high enough to make full use of 91 octane. The reason you aren't REQUIRED to use it is because the computer can dial back on the timing (and reduce power in the process) to protect the engine. You can use either, but your performance and mileage may vary.

I used to fall for that same thing (thinking higher octane was always better), when I had a Cherokee. The compression ratio was only 8.8:1 in that engine. After learning what you just learned, I switched to 87, and found it improved my performance! In the Murano however, I notice the improved performance of higher octanes and refuse to use anything else.

Also, please try searching the forum before posting, this topic has been discussed to death already.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I believe this has been covered a couple times before...

The MO's VQ engine is a fairly high compression engine -- 10.3 to 1. Sure, it's not a Ferrari engine, but it's higher compression than a large majority of the engines in use in cars today (especially american cars with american engines). The MO's control system will retard the engine's timing to compensate for lower octane fuel.

As far as I see it, and anyone can please feel free to pounce on me here, the VQ engine was designed to run with higher octane fuel. Just because it's "smart" enough to compensate for running lower octane fuel, doesn't mean I want to run my engine for the next 5 years with the engine running in it's non-optimal state. As I've said before in another thread, with a difference of about $.20 per gallon between regular and premium fuel, it costs just under $4 extra to fill my tank with premium vs. regular. If we estimate 2 fill-ups per month, that's 24 per year, saving me a whopping $96 per year. Call me ignorant or tell me I'm buying into marketing hype, but I'll pay $96 per year to keep the MO's engine running the way it was designed to run.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
What they covered on 20/20 is true but does not apply to Murano, due to reasons Tyler and Special have correctly pointed out. I can definitely notice a big improvement in acceleration (although less impact on fuel economy) when I use premium.

·
5,268 Posts
I agree with the above posters.

My FX35 has same engine but tuned to 287 HP and manual says – premium required. Fine.

I tried a few times regular for the Murano and have to say the fuel economy does not really change. However, the car feels different. It definitely has better acceleration and is less sluggish on premium. Extra cost? 50 tanks/year time $4 extra = $200. Is it worth it? I believe so. Others may disagree.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Like everyone said above, the manufacturer recommended grade of fuel produces the best performance and fuel economy. Sure you can run the Murano on regular, with no ill effects, but it will decrease power and mileage slightly.

I say run premium, then try a full tank of regular. If you cannot tell the difference, use regular. For me, I can definitely feel the difference between premium 93 and regular 87, esp when the weather gets very hot.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Regular, premium, regular, premium... has anyone tried the inbetween gas, PLUS / 89 Oct ?

I think I got lost in the thread somewhere... :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tyler_Canada said:
...Also, please try searching the forum before posting, this topic has been discussed to death already.
Sorry, I tried searching with words like... 91 octane, 87 octane, etc and nothing came up????

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
TikiMan said:

Sorry, I tried searching with words like... 91 octane, 87 octane, etc and nothing came up????
I don't think the search function works for numbers like 91 or 87, since they are less than 3 characters (don't ask me why). Try searching "super unleaded" or "regular unleaded" - you'll find hundreds of posts on that topic.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric L. said:

I don't think the search function works for numbers like 91 or 87, since they are less than 3 characters (don't ask me why). Try searching "super unleaded" or "regular unleaded" - you'll find hundreds of posts on that topic.
Cool! Thanks.

I think I’ll just stay with 91 premium.

My friend just bought a Lexus 400h, not sure what the average mileage is, but I took it for a test drive and it feels just like my MO, except I really like the right fold-down side arm rest. You don't have to lean into it like the middle arm rest on the MO.

I am going into the shop next week to see if my MO is on the recall list. So far no problems what so ever at 31k miles. Average mileage is around 20 MPG some city and some highway.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yes if you do a search someone performed calculations and they found that their milleage was a little less. Given that and the cost difference in the grades it was almost a wash.

IMHO you can use lower octane without any damage to the MO... even over long term. Performance would be better at 91 but it isn't necessary.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,437 Posts
Just do a search for octane, that should bring up most of the posts.

·
Registered
844 Posts
TheGymKid said:
Regular, premium, regular, premium... has anyone tried the inbetween gas, PLUS / 89 Oct ?

I think I got lost in the thread somewhere... :(
I use the midrange gas all the time,89 octane, as I did try regular and did notice a differance in fuel economy and perfrormance. The only time I use premium is when I tow my tent trailer as after experimenting last year my fuel economy improved using premium especially going over the Mtn passes..

I will be doing a fuel economy check this year in mt travels to Seattle and back.

I did a fuel economy check when I drove from Calgary to Victoria in May. Using midrange fuel (89 octane), I got 9.0lts/100 Km which works out to 30MPG per imperial gallon. Remembering that 4.5 lts equals 1 imperial gallon vs. 3.89 lts for a US gallon. I belive at that time the onboard computer indicated 26.7 MPG. Average speed of 100 Km/h over two mtn ranges. The trip took 10hrs:40 minutes.

:29:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been using 87 octane since I bought my MO and I haven't had a problem after 32K miles.

I am getting up to 25MPG on the highway and 19 in city driving.

Premium gas is a waste of money

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
When I first drove the MO home, I used nothing but premium fuel.

About 6 months after the purchase, I "downgraded" to midgrade when premium went above the $2 per gallon mark.

I noticed no change.

I soon "downgraded" again to regular when the midgrade crossed the line.

I again noticed no change.

I filled up today at $2.29 per gallon for 87.

I've been using the regular fuel for well over a year, I have absolutely not noticed any performance or MPG differences.

I do drive agressively, my fuel economy averages around 19 mpg in mixed driving. I am knock and ping free and the MO seems just as quick as ever.

I haven't done any "dyno" tests, or spreadsheet calculations to confirm or deny anything (although I admire those who do).

For me, regular fuel is fine.

Your experience may vary.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Mr3Putt said:
I filled up today at $2.29 per gallon for 87.
Geeeeeez, 87 is going for average $2.68 here and 91 is up to $2.90.

Then again, I suppose it's to be expected, considering a 1700sq. ft. house is now running in the low 400's.

By my calculations, to make things "even" my salary should be tripled immediately. Please inform those in charge, thanks.

I'm moving. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts