Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a used Murano. In fact, I have one in the garage -- weekend test drive. It is an 05 SL with 11k miles. The CVT makes me a bit nervous only because it's unusual -- love the way it drives though. Are these as reliable as other Nissans? Anything to be concerned with? I've got about 12hrs to make up my mind on this one -- buy it or take it back and think some more. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I would say the 05's don't have any particular problem areas like the 03-04 do (alternator, rattles, etc...).

If you are really that concerned about the reliability of the CVT (which is covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles) then get an extended warranty from Nissan. It might be about $1000 but isn't that worth it for peace of mind and to get the car you really want? You could save the $1000 and get a Highlander or Pilot and be bored to tears each time you drive it, or get the Murano and drive with a permanent grin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally would have looked at the Pilot, but they are pretty bland. I was REALLY impressed with the peppiness of this SUV. Really it feels like a Maxima on stilts.

So the SL with leather and a sunroof doesn't have heated or programable seat? Seems odd.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think all Muranos come with the memory seat. Its turned on and off via the on screen menu and tied into the keyfob I think. Heated seats were an option if you got the leather package, but not standard.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Eric L. said:
I think all Muranos come with the memory seat. Its turned on and off via the on screen menu and tied into the keyfob I think. Heated seats were an option if you got the leather package, but not standard.
Memory and heated seats come with the touring package on the 2005 models.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think you have anything to be worried about

I'm on my 2nd Murano (1st one totalled with less than 3000 miles.) I understand about being a bit worried about replacing a $6,200 transmission, but that's why I bought Nissan's extended warranty to 100,000 miles. If I'm still worried at 100,000 miles, I'll trade in the Murano for another one! :p

Seriously, no worries with this vehicle so far and I absolutely love driving it. Other than a Porsche Cayenne, and BMW X3/X5, I don't think there are any other SUVs that are sporty enough for me. (The BMWs and Porsche don't offer as much interior room IMHO. I love the Murano's cavernous back seat room. Plus it was LOTS cheaper!)

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What does the extension cost? The one I'm looking at is a 05 SL AWD leather/sunroof with 11k miles that's been on the lot for 60 days. It started at $31k and is being offered for $26. My wife is VERY conserned with the CVT. Perhaps the dealer would add it to the deal. Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was a bit paranoid about the CVT when we bought ours. I still am to a point. It is a Jeckll and Hyde thing - it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the vehicle yet it causes fear because nobody really knows how long it'll last.

There have been very few failures which when you learn of the numbers on the road is pretty impressive. There are vehicles with more problems than the Murano. I haven't heard of a high mileage failure. Some have been early on (does that make it better?)

Eh, ours has 43K and runs like a champ. I'm so pleased with the VQ engine it makes me want another in my garage (350Z, G35, Maxima, Altima SE-R)...

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Factory Nissan extended warranty costs

I bought my Murano used from Northbay Nissan in Petaluma with 20,005 miles. The dealership charged me $2,000 for a 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty - but the Nissan warranty basically states that if you don't use it at all, at the end of the coverage period, you can get a refund on the purchase price of the warranty. So basically if I don't use it by November 11, 2010 or 100,00 miles (whichever comes first) I get my money back. Good enough for me!

That seems like a very good price for a 2005 SL AWD with Sunroof and Leather. I paid just under $28K for a 2004 SL AWD with everything including nav, XM satellite, tow hitch, leather, heated seats, memory seats, moonroof, chrome wheels, yada, yada, yada. I wouldn't sweat it... that car is still under factory warranty. I think you can get the extended warranty at a Nissan dealership as long as you're under factory warranty when you opt for it. (I *think* that's what I heard...)

Bob

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Factory Nissan extended warranty costs

rtking said:
but the Nissan warranty basically states that if you don't use it at all, at the end of the coverage period, you can get a refund on the purchase price of the warranty. So basically if I don't use it by November 11, 2010 or 100,00 miles (whichever comes first) I get my money back. Good enough for me!

Really? I didn't know that. I may look into getting one.

·
5,244 Posts
cmd,

Murano is a great vehicle. I got 100k/5 years warranty as I was concerned with CVT. Otherwise go get it and enjpy! The VQ engine is sweet! I have two of them - one in Murano and one in FX. Both perform flawlessly!

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
cmd-

It really is too early to tell how the CVT is going to hold up over the long haul.

Yes, they have been plenty of documented cases of CVT and X-fer case failures. But has there been more occurrences than you would expect on a similar car with a conventional auto-tranny? I don't know the answer to that. But it doesn't some like it.

There are over 3,500 forum members here and only a relatively few have experienced CVT problems. However, when there is a problem it receives quite a lot of attention (as it should) so it appears like the problem is more wide-spread than it is.

If you are planning on modding the engine and driving the Mo like a dragster from stoplight to stoplight, then you are increasing your chances of having something like to CVT fail. However, if you are planning on driving the MO as it was intended, and not abuse it, then you should have no more problems than one would expect from a car in this segment.

Let's face it. The MO, like all cars, is a complex piece of machinery assembled from parts manufactured at numerous sites. All it takes is one part to fail.

The MO is a good car. Since it has only been on the road since 2003 it is too early to tell how it will hold up. In another three years there should be a good number of MOs hitting the 100K mile mark. That is when we'll know for sure if the CVT can be a real hi-miler.

Go for it.

-njjoe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts