Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darn "old-school" battery. It died on me after just less than 3 year.

It's probably my fault though. I never check its fluid level till it acted up. When it died all cells were just half full. I tried to revive it by filling it back up with distilled water and drive around to charge it. Didn't work. Had to replace it -- with a "maintenance free" one of course... :)

I do schedule maintenance at the dealer every 3,750 miles. Shouldn't they top off all fluid when the car is in service? I guess not... :3:

·
Premium Member
7,265 Posts
RandyMax said:
I do schedule maintenance at the dealer every 3,750 miles. Shouldn't they top off all fluid when the car is in service? I guess not... :3:
You would think so but last time I was changing the engine oil at the dealership I was standing close to watch and did not see anything other than engine oil checked...Not even the transmission fluid...:3:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Optima Red Top is always a safe choice.

I would not expect the dealer to perform any inspection at any of the services, not even the expensive 15k and 30k intervals. Really you can do these inspections yourself in less than 30 minutes if you just look under the hood and check the fluids. I check my battery level every few months and find I usually have to add some water to bring it back up to normal.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,436 Posts
Cryogenix said:
Just for the hell of it, I was planning to buy a new battery this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good one?

Also, I haven't measured it yet. What will fit comfortably in there without having to modify a ton of stuff?

What are the consequences (if any) of disabling power to the computer system? Do things reset, or is there like some kind of CMOS battery that keeps everything safe?

Thanks.
I believe there's a capacitor that will keep the computer info safe for a few hours, unless you discharge it by hitting the brakes or anything like that. It's pretty minor anyway, it's nothing that the computer can't relearn.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Eric L. said:
Optima Red Top is always a safe choice.
Just bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. My battery died on me in less than two years. Milage the night it happened... 35996!!!!! And 23 mths into the purchase.

So, it was late, and all the good places were closed. Got a jump, ran up to Walmart and bought one of their standards, got another jump, and drove home to replace it.

Went to a battery place a couple of days later and got a Optima Red Top (returned the Walmart one). The red tops have a great replacement warranty, although they claim you won't have to use it.

The guy at the shop first sold me the the OPT8004-003 (34/78DT 800 RT) $129. He tried to install for me, and it was actually too big (the connections wouldn't reach to fit). So exchanged that for the OPT8022-091 (75/25DT 720 RT) $99 cause quoted me a lower price since the other wouldn't fit. Anyway, it's working perfect.

Then I started thinking... Had less than 36k miles and under two years. Shouldn't Nissan pay for part of it at least? Called 1-800-NISSAN1, filed a claim, talked with consumer relations, and since it's between 11-24 mths, they'll cover half. Faxed all the info they needed, so hopefully my refund check is in the mail!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I can't believe how quick your battery is going. I typically get 6-8 years out of mine. I do check my fluid level every 6 months or so could that be it?

My Dad has an 1990 Nissan... original battery. I had an 1989 Nissan until 2003.... only replaced the battery once.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Gonzo said:
I can't believe how quick your battery is going. I typically get 6-8 years out of mine. I do check my fluid level every 6 months or so could that be it?

My Dad has an 1990 Nissan... original battery. I had an 1989 Nissan until 2003.... only replaced the battery once.

That poster was from Austin, TX. Hot weather causes batteries to die very fast.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
".........Added water once. Cooler climate I guess."

I guess.

Here in Florida I have added water at about every other oil change..............I check it at every oil change........but oil changes do not come on a regular basis............sometimes 5K goes by in 3 months, sometimes in 6 months.
So on average I check the water every 4 months and have added water about 3 times in the last two years.
I do not have to add much each time, but on at least one occasion, the water level was below the cap extesion.
The cap extension has a gap in it.
I fill the cells to the top of that gap.

I have always wondered if Battery Maint and Alternator failure were linked.........

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
I always maintained my battery levels and still had an alternator failure, although I'm willing to concede that the case may been have been different for others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts