Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just purchased a 2003 Altima with all the buttons. Do you think the remote from my 2003 Murano can be set up to lock and unlock her doors. Obviousely I don't have the trunk release button. I'm trying to get away from carrying 2 fobs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
My wife just purchased a 2003 Altima with all the buttons. Do you think the remote from my 2003 Murano can be set up to lock and unlock her doors. Obviousely I don't have the trunk release button. I'm trying to get away from carrying 2 fobs.

Thanks in advance.
I'm almost positive that can be done. Check the numbers on the back. They should match.

I rented a Maxima last year that came without the remote, I was able to program it to unlock and lock with my MO remote.

I also programmed my Nephew's Altima with some Ebay remotes, the numbers were identical (I think) with my remotes.

Conversely, you should be able to program the MO to use the Altima remote, this way you retain the trunk feature. Good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I will look into it. I have the service manual for the MO on CD. I'll bet the programming procedure is the same.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
HTRK-1 said:
Thanks for the comments. I will look into it. I have the service manual for the MO on CD. I'll bet the programming procedure is the same.

The progarmming instructions for all 3 cars were identical. I used the exact same sheet that I printed from this forum for all the cars.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Whether they will work for two cars at the same time, I am not sure. Worth a shot though.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I think it will. From the way instructions are written it sounds like the car gets programmed to the fob and not the other way around. So it may work.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
zebelkhan said:
From the way instructions are written it sounds like the car gets programmed to the fob and not the other way around.
That is exactly right. The car learns the fob signal. Not vica versa.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Mr3Putt said:

That is exactly right. The car learns the fob signal. Not vica versa.
Wow I did not know that. Thats pretty cool. It would seem odd though, to unlock two cars at once with the same signal.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Eric L. said:

Wow I did not know that. Thats pretty cool. It would seem odd though, to unlock two cars at once with the same signal.
It's also true with most Fords.

Quick story:

Both of my Fords (At the time we were a 2 Tauri family) were in the garage.

Somehow, someone hit the "panic" button on the fob.

It only set off the beeping horn alarm on my wife's wagon.

I found my keys and hit the panic button again to turn off the horn.

It turned off the wagon and turned ON my Taurus.

Hit it again. My car turned off, the wagon turned back on.

This went through at least 3-4 cycles. :confused:

I finally had to drive my car 300 yards (out of range) down the street to silence the commotion.

Both cars could be locked and unlocked at the same time, and often were.

While were at it, one more Ford trick....

They use double sided keys. You can cut one side for one car and the other side to another car. One key, two cars. (This was before transponder keys, so you would somehow have to program them today) I had a 67 Galaxie and a 74 Comet that I used this trick for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking about a potential problem. I go out to MO in the morning unlock it and of course both cars would unlock. If I forget to lock the Altima, won't it automatically relock (within like 3 mins) because no doors were opened. I think the MO does this, If you hit the unlock button and don't open any doors. I am concerned about inadvertently leaving my wifes car unlocked.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I imagine all nissan's would be the same but just to be sure you may want to test it before you reprogram. Just lock and unlock using Altima's remote and see what happens...

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I think if you park your cars outside (i.e. not in a garage) then the single control for both cars isn't the safest thing to do - as you mentioned it could leave a car unlocked and vulnerable to theft.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Eric L. said:
I think if you park your cars outside (i.e. not in a garage) then the single control for both cars isn't the safest thing to do - as you mentioned it could leave a car unlocked and vulnerable to theft.
Hey wonder if that's a way to simplify getting cash for the MO.?

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
GripperDon said:
Hey wonder if that's a way to simplify getting cash for the MO.?
Not necessarily. If it was my MO, and with my luck, it would be found the next day, except they had done something really nasty with it without doing any damage to the car itself. So now it is found and it has no damage - so insurance will not pay - but police will not release it to you either because it is now "people's evidence". :3:

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Not necessarily. If it was my MO, and with my luck, it would be found the next day, except they had done something really nasty with it without doing any damage to the car itself. So now it is found and it has no damage - so insurance will not pay - but police will not release it to you either because it is now "people's evidence". :3:
You must not live in San Francisco. I know several people (including my parents) who have had their cars stolen and the cops never found it. In SF, the police do not get involved unless someone is injured (then they call an ambulance for you, but still won't show up) or the crime is actually in progress (but they usually get there too late anyways).

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Hence the words "with my luck"!

I know. I don't live in SF. In my city I think the worst crime we have had in recent history is someone setting off his alarm by accident.....:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts