Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how those remote rear hatches work on other cars like the Lexus RX330? Would it be possible to add one to a Murano or is it not possible? does anyone know of any aftermarket places that offer these? Thanks :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
If it just opens by itslef, then it's probably just some sort of remote release. If it opens and closes, then it would probably involve some type of electrical actuator.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think it involves a remotee release and some type of hydraulics to make the hatch open.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think most of the factory ones go down too, so would be electric

I havent tried, but on the Murano, what happens when you just "pop" the hatch...
Does it open? Or stay shut?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really I didnt think that the factory ones shut also. I just want it to open when I have a arm full of groceries. I'm not too lazy to close it myself :) You know I'm not sure if the murano hatch opens when you pop it, I dont think it does.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
The Mo's rear hatch doesn't open on its' own that much... You have to get it almost halfway up before the hydraulics "help" you out.

I also own the RX with the power liftgate and it is a really convenient option for when you have a handful of stuff to handle. It automatically lifts and shuts at the push of a button, and while I originally thought I wouldn't use the close function that much. I find myself using it all the time. The door shuts so smoothly, I never give it a second thought!:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can you explain how the system on your RX works? is it hydraulics and motors?

·
Registered
420 Posts
The rear hatch doesn't "pop" open at all. What VG. is describing is what happens after you press the latch.

·
Midnight Marauder
80 Posts
jaycen29 said:
can you explain how the system on your RX works? is it hydraulics and motors?
as far as my limited (read: nonexistant) mechanical knowledge goes: yes.

Hold down the power door button on the key fob and a motor opens the door and lifts it alll the way up. There is another button on the bottom part of the door that you can push and the motor will start up again and close the door automatically. It is actually very smooth and quiet when it latches as well.

There is also a button on the interior so you can open and shut the door for someone outside as long as the car is in park... perfect for someone running in from the rain trying to throw stuff into the cargo area!;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a great feature. I wish there was a way to get it installed on a Murano.

·
Registered
62 Posts
VG. said:

as far as my limited (read: nonexistant) mechanical knowledge goes: yes.......
I am an engineer for Lexus, the RX330 in particular, and you are correct.

There is a small electric motor/gearbox/link arm module tucked up under the headliner on the drivers side of the car. The link arm attaches to the back door at the top of the frame. The motion of the link arm in/out of the module opens/closes the back door. The controls (IP, inside door, outside door, key fob) are managed over the vehicle communication system and the rear door control ECU. This ECU also monitors obstruction via motor current during the closing cycle so that you cannot get pinched by the auto close function.

As far as retrofitting to another vehicle....forget about it. To do a clean job would require huge coin and really wouldn't be worth it.

Attachments

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
krpster said:
Here is the mechanism before the headliner goes in....
Question for you: Do you drive a MO?

·
4,601 Posts
Can you get it to make a Star Trek door Woosh sound as it opens and closes?:p

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the great info krpster. It's great to have someone with your specialized Lexus knowledge on this site as many people, myself included considered the RX330 before buying a Murano. I actually have seen some people on this forum who own both. My other car which I no longer drive since getting the MO is actually a 95 Lexus GS300. Just curious, when you say "huge coin" about how much are we talking? Wonder if the Infinity FX version would be anymore compatible. Sorry I just love cool gadgets like these and am dying to have it if possible. Someone should design an aftermarket kit for this function because Im sure there would be a HUGE market for it.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
It will be fun to have an RX330 engineer in Mo forum...

How knows we can retrofit some Lexus feature to MO?
<Autoleveling adaptive xenon headlight: :p for example>

·
NO-MO-SNOW
891 Posts
jaak said:
Can you get it to make a Star Trek door Woosh sound as it opens and closes?:p
I beg to differ, lets shoot for the sound of the delorean door in Back to the future...include that and I may buy 2!

A custom car shop by my house installed this in their escalade, however it had incredibly huge hydrolics...this is much prettier!

·
4,601 Posts
Yeah, I agree, that would be better... And mount the flux capacitor in the back on display!

Should be easy to lift the MO's door, once the latch is changed, as it's relatively light.

Although I like the automatic opener and closer that hangs off my right shoulder. Works pretty good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts