Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on removing yellow transfer paint off of m front bumper? Do I buff or try to scratch / rub it off?

Again, it is on the plastic bumper.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Any suggestions on removing yellow transfer paint

Sorry Coness, can you explain "transfer Paint?" I never heard that term.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would assume he hit something.....like a yellow pole and the paint transferred from the pole to the bumper.
It often grinds into the paint and "becomes one" with the factory paint.
It can be VERY difficult to remove (without removing copious amounts of factory paint)

Homer

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember ever hitting anything, perhaps it was my wife. Anyways, I assume it was from a yellow pole or something.

Any suggestions on getting it off? Touch up paint?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Kit Scratch Out will do it perfectly. I have used it many times just for this.
It is an ultra fine polishing compound.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My first thought was a little mineral spirits on a rag. Don't do this unless someone chimes in on this thread and agrees. That is just my thought but I want to get some other opinions if they think that will hurt the MO paint or not. I think I'd first try some over the counter auto products on the shelf. Be careful about compounding as the "old style" compound will strip the clear coat off. Make sure you use something that says its safe on clear coat.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
"I have used it many times just for this."

Just how many things do you guys go around hitting?:rolleyes:

I've done it exactly once in 40 years.
Tried to get it off using a polish (no) then compound (sorta yes, but it took off the factory paint too) and finally took it to a pro who sanded it off and repainted the bumper.

One of the reasons why i like the idea of a RV camera.
The pole I hit was too low to see.
It was "protecting" a big pole that I could see.
PO'd me at the time. :p

Homer

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mgthe3 - The Kit Scratch Out is safe for the bumper right? Can I pick this up at Target, Pep Boyx, or do I need order it online?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
People hit me Homer. Door dings were the primary ones that left paint. Also, yes, the wifey turned a little close to a yellow pole.

Coness:
Yes it is safe. It takes carwash micro scratches out of the clear coat without removing it. You can buy it anywhere like pep boys, autozone etc. I surely wouldn't want to put mineral spirits on there, ack! Just put scratch out on a microfiber towel and rub in circles. It will haze up. Then you buff it off.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mgthe3. I am going to Pep Boys tonight!

For the record, I've only hit 1 thing while backing up. The paint transfer is on the front bumper and I don't know how the heck it ended up there!:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
try it out, it's cheap and you can use it for all kinds of stuff besides the Mo's paint.

Don't forget to re-zaino or rewax afterwards!

:)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah...dongers...you have hit many a things too....:D

·
5,244 Posts
hfelknor said:
[BThe pole I hit was too low to see.
It was "protecting" a big pole that I could see.
PO'd me at the time. :p

Homer [/B]
Now, that's funny....:2: :2: :2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts