Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'd like to remove some bugs and assorted goo from the front of my MO. I don't have bug/tar remover... will anything else work? I heard wax will.

I have some turtle wax / swirl remover and Meguiar's spray-on quick wax. Just wondering if that will do the trick... I want to see if one spot is a scuff in my paint or a bug remnants...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Although it seems the consensus among detailers here is that Zaino is the bestest for a shine, I use Satin Gloss.
I was introduced to this stuff when a guy the boss lady worked with told her that he used it on his black Vette and recommended it for her black PT Cruiser.

It's really good stuff. Easy to apply. Goes on with a dry (or nearly dry) terry cloth and comes off with soft terry. If you don't have oxidation, you can even do the deed in the sun. The stuff seems to like the heat!
It's really good at removing bug innards and tar that is left after you scrape off the thick stuff with your thumbnail.
Fills in the tiny scratches in clearcoat pretty well. I used it to fill in the cat scratches on the boss lady's Cruiser. After the Satin Gloss, you have to look at it just right to see the scratches.
You don't have to worry about getting it on rubber and black plastic that adjoins painted surfaces: just wipe/buff it off there before it dries. Seems to do a good job of preserving rubber (like around windows) without turning it white (like wax) or shiny (like so-called "preservatives").
If you don't have oxidation, you don't have to worry about how dry it needs to bet before you start terrying it off.
If you have oxidation, you put it on a small area, rubbing like the dickens to get the dead pigment up, then terry it off before it dries so it doesn't "glue" the oxidation back down.

I have used it to remove remnants of tar and particularly difficult bug guts. The nice part is, you can rub just about as hard as you want since your laying down wax as you dissolve the uglies.

As with all waxes, each application removes the previous, so there's no such thing as building up "coats" of it. But, once you get a coat of Satin Gloss on, grime, guts, gum, and tar are easier to get off.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
Clay bar works at getting all of the fine bug guts off of the car. You can also try Meguires 3 step. the first step is a paint cleaner that seems to work well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow.. a ton of help.. hehe

Actually, I just want something quick and dirty to test one spot. I'm not savvy enough to REALLY wax my own vehicle... I take it to a pro (and I mean PRO) detail shop.

I just have this one spot where I'm not sure if it is a bug juice or some other gook, or if it is a scuff in my paint from a stone or something...

Wanted to see if either of the two things I have will work, or if I can use something else readily available without a trip to the store...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Doom, there were some other threads here about removing bug guts.

If it is bug guts, soak a wash cloth in warm water and dawn and place it over the area and let it set for 5 minutes. The dawn will also remove wax, grease, oil. Then wipe off. If it is bug guts, they should wipe off. If it is tar, then you need a tar remover. You can try the turtle wax swirl remover you have to remove bug stains, it works for me but takes a lot of rubbing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
In the debadging section someone mentioned using Goo Gone to remove the glue. I think that would be a quick and dirty way to remove tar and bug guts, but I am not sure about what it would do to the paint. But I thought the debadging gang are pretty serious "car people" so they must think it wouldn't hurt the paint.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
simple solution, dryer cloths and water and wipe away. works awesome and costs pennies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts