Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my MO came with standard halogen lights, but now i want to upgrade without buying cheap blue bulbs, and i have the opprotunity to buy new headlamp casings complete with hid bulbs.
im wondering if these will just convert with a few simple wire plugs, or will this be more complicated?
a little advice is helpful

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
i am in the processs of figuring this my self...

since i bought my car last november.

Buying the oem xenon headlamp will complicate the matters here. Why? BEcause the oem xenon headlight has all wiring harness ready to be pluggeg into a murano that is meant to have HID.

A murano that meant to have HID have pre-wired harness in the engine cabin:
- wiring for xenon ground
- wiring for xenon vdc (voltage source)
- wiring for auto leveler motor.

The easier way to retrofit HID to halogen Murano is to take out the halogen headlamp, custom fit hella bi-xenon projector into it, use manual leveler. One also needs to tap to the batery + terminal using a relay and find a good ground in the engine bay to ground the ballast of the HID.

FYI, me and a bunch of friend in college did retrofit to my other car that i recently sold.

Where are you located?
Maybe you can pm me, it is nice to have a buddy in this retrofit venture....I am in no hurry to do the retrofit,, but for now certainly i will do it in a month or two. Need to do more research.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
You will loose the hi-beam if you do improper retrofit procedure...

meaning: the hid bulbs are rebased D2S (to fit the halogen 9007 base). This is similar to fitting 2mm screw to 3mm.
This method will yield incorrect beam cut off, shorter bulb life and not to mention the possiblility of being caught doing illegal conversion.

The right retrofit (even though still illegal, but less prone to detection) is to use exatcly the bi-xenon projector inside the headlight and use d2s HID bulb. All hid bulbs are D2s, some are d2r. OEM nissan use d2s philips and hella ballast mounted under the headlamp.

By using the bixenon projector, it will be exatcly like OEM and one will not loose the hi beam....

Will post pic once my conversion project is done.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
SugarRushMurano is correct. Avoid those cheap reflector based HID solutions (i.e. D2r HID reflector bulbs meant to fit into stock headlight housings). I had one on my 97 Maxima, and while light output was good, the beam pattern was terrible. I was so happy when I got legal and properly aimed HIDs on my Murano.

I agree that the best way to retrofit HID onto a Murano is to find a solution which replaces the projector in the headlight housing. Do halogen headlight Muranos have projectors or reflectors?

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric, thanks for backing me up..asnwer to your question...

The murano halogen headlamp is reflector type, non projector.

This cause another complication to the retrofit process...
Why? Because not only one need to try to retrofit the bixenon projector into it, but he or she needs to 'clean out' the halogen-type reflecting surface as well....

One way to do this is by convering this refelecting halogen light surface with smooth reflective film surface. But to do this, the entire headlamp must be taken apart, then when putitng it back together, the sealing process must be flawless. If not, condensation problem will occur.

You dont want your cool hid headlamp to have water vapors in it, do you?

Lots of work.? oh yea. Worth it? oh yea baby.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Maybe it really would be easier to just add the stock HIDs to the system.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
RandyMax said:
I heard all retrofitted HIDs are illegal.

Check your state law... if you care, that is... ;)
You are correct. Unless you get a properly aimed projector (which is a sealed unit) or a reflector unit made for HID's sharp cutoff, then any other HID retrofit is illegal.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Eric is right... If the correct retrofit process is per oem spec or even exceed oem

then there is no difference between the oem and the retrofit.

Of course, if you reftrofit it improperly like: fitting rebased HID D2S bulb kit into current halogen enclosure, this is illegal!
Cops, will not caught you, as they most likely will not have a clueh what is the 'right ' HID and wrong 'hid'. But if you are involve in an accident and this improper retrofit of HID is the one causing the accident (too much glare, blinding etc), then you can be sued.

So, if one does retrofit HID, be carefull ~ When i say proper, it means:

- use hi quality bi-xenon projectors in your halogen headlamp. These are the cause for the bluish difrraction of HID beam. Not the blue bulb those honda rice boy put into their heavily mod civic!

- properly aim your HID with proper cut off ________/-------------

- elimnate the reflector surface in your current halogen headlamp.
hence mute the 'glare-problem'

- must not loose your hi -beam (this mute the fitting of rebased HID kit, because if you use 9007 HID kit, you will loose hi beam).
NO DUAL FILAMENT HID BEAM EXIST OUT THERE.
UNlike 9007 halogen bulb, it is dual filament right?

- buy hi-quality ballast like philips or hella so that it wil shutt off by itself during accident/impact, hence no electric shock potential.
Philips and hella ballast are used in most oem xenon: audi, bmw, mercedez

- safely mount the ballast per oem spec

- put relays and proper wiring harness between power source VDC and the ballast

Sound like oem ? :rolleyes: oh yeah... The cost: i did it on my audi, cost around $1,100. Hope this eliminate the hesistation to retrofit!

·
Canadian MO
56 Posts
Halogen to Elipsoid HID

yoyash said:
I have a Murano SL 04 that i purchase 1 month ago.. Even before purchasing my murano i was bidding on a set of headlight HID assembly from a murano SE .. Now that i have then, what do i do to make them work.. I did not know about the manual adjustment inside.. I would like someone here to tell me if this is possible to acheive HID on an SL.. I was under the impression that they would plug and play.. please remember these lights are OEM HID light all complete , it's the whole thing, my only concern is wether that will work.
I am more than interested to hear any stories.. There must be a way.. ?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
jaak where are you lcated?

perhaps it is close, i can swing by and bring all the wiring diagram with me. I am interested in making this work.

·
4,664 Posts
Ah, I corrupted you, now you spell jack as jaak!

;)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
hahaha.. jaak i am sorry.

I just notice that jack is the new-guy.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I just looked at the manual- wiring, fuses etc for both xenon and conventional. They look exactly the same.

Jaak-PM me when you are coming to Portland.

·
Canadian MO
56 Posts
YEp, i'm the new guy.. Hello everyone

I am impressed .. I really appreciate the help i am getitng so far..
The dealer here in SK, regina, has some of the worst service dept i have even seen. I also own a Mercedes ML and by far benz is far superior.. enough about the service.. Nissan here sucks.. I had installed from brand new a front deflector and now my chrome grill is scratched.. I think it's going to be a battle:3: to have them change it.. i;ll keep everyone posted on this one..

·
4,664 Posts
Hey Jack, good to meet you.... For the longest time, I didn't know Jack, but now I can say I do!

Now, this might be a local expression, but if you say you don't know Jack, it's like saying you don't know anything. (For those of you who didn't get it...)

Portland? I'm there the third week of June for new product training. I work for some old company based out of Beaverton...

·
Canadian MO
56 Posts
HID Swap , No problem... it works No mods

:claphead: Update.. I have Swapped My Halogen Headlights from My 2004 MO SL and I must assure everyone here that this was the simplest swap I have even done.. I removed the Regular Halogen Headlight and simply installed the NEW Headlight assembly .. Plugged right in no mods, cuttings or anything had to be done.. I didn't even changed the Fuses..

I am so Happy.. furthermore, I installed 8500K HID bulbs, looks awesome.
:7:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
"I work for some old company based out of Beaverton..."

Would that be TekTronix?

Homer

1 - 20 of 104 Posts