Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a dealer about replacement tires for Mo. He said Goodyear has the patent on the size and nobody else can make them.

Personally I much prefer Michelin or BF....anybody know if what the dealer said was true? Is Mo destined to never see tires other than Goodyear (unless I choose to replace the stock rims)?

·
4,601 Posts
I told my tire guy I wanted the same Good Years... He said "Four?" I said "No, three, and pull the spare out and put the best of the old ones in as the spare." He didn't carry them, but checked with Good Year. They had four in stock. (Messed them up too...)

Yeah, they could be better, but frankly I'm OK with them (even though they're a bit noisy at certain speeds). I figure, better the devil you know, as Kris found out.

However, when looking, I do recall finding tires that had the same effective diameter with slightly different sizing.

Anyone remember where to find a tire size calculator?

I'm sure someone who's pleased with what they've changed to, will speak up. Otherwise, start reading!

·
5,244 Posts
here it is - tire size calculator: calc

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, but I love BF. I've always had great luck with them and I find GY very soft - wear quickly (no, not cause of my driving).

I checked their sites, they don't stock anything that would fit. DAMN!

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I got the patent on size 12 shoes too, no body else can make them.

I also have the patent of size 8 hats, and .....

Somebody need to learn what it takes to get a patent, I doubt that could even get a design patent on anything beside the tread design much less a mechanics patent. Bunch of BS

·
Registered
781 Posts
More dealer lies...

If I was a tire manufacturer and there was one car that used this one size - I wouldn't make a tire for them. Now, if it were a car company that used this size on multiple cars - maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
GMTURBO43 said:
More dealer lies...

If I was a tire manufacturer and there was one car that used this one size - I wouldn't make a tire for them. Now, if it were a car company that used this size on multiple cars - maybe.
Precisely the reason why there isn't already an alternative tire for the Murano. Nissan echewed common tire sizes for SUVs and chose a proprietary size (prob because they got a good deal from Goodyear to supply the tires).

·
5,244 Posts
Eric,

I would not call it "proprietary size ". Rather uncommon and this is the reason why there is no other choice in this particular size. There is not so many Muranos out there. And never will….

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gipper; I'm flying to Scottsdale next week!

Has anyone had to replace their tires? If so, what brand / type did you use?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and have been very happy with them. Slightly wider (HAS to be higher performance, right?), anyway they look good, more agresive tread than stock. Ride is as quiet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm going to have to replace my tires soon, but I'm glad I didn't just yet.

After my last tire rotation I am getting a vibration every once in awhile. No not balancing as it goes away if you release the gas.

Service manager thinks since it's tied to the rotation perhaps tire wear affecting tire size, perhaps the AWD clutch pack.

Any way, I wonder what would they say if I had non OEM ties on. Bet ya (right or wrong) they would blame the tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tire Rack lists 2 sets of Dunlops of the same size (235/65HR18) but they're winter tires, and your choice of $181 or $224 apiece. I agree with Kris, I think it's just because it's a pretty uncommon size and not worth development for the few they would sell. I seem to remember searching last year and there weren't any options for winter tires, so at least some progress is being made.

Other option being to go with something not exactly the same size, like Ray, as long as you're aware of where the differences lie and account for them (greater circumfrence leading to speedo reading low and possible contact at full steering lock, also a possibility with greater width).

Me personally, I've had pretty good luck with Michelin light truck tires on my Exploder in the past, but I don't think I'm going to be able to bring myself to buy them anymore after the USGP fiasco.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts